Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT! Happened once in 2017, and now this AM, while sucking down a cuppa joe to get woke up to go sit in the woods, I'm online, looking at my account ('cause that's a damn smart thing to do!) I notice a .pending 01 charge from "Bocce ball set", so I called my credit union, they saw another one (.01) from some other obscure vendor, and after I grilled my wife about it (nope), there is no other conclusion, they said it must be an attempt to try the card before they hit it big time.

If I could catch one of those SOBs, I'd dress, skin and quarter him* in my garage over a weekend...

* since I didn't see a deer this am...

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 12/08/19.
BP-B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Happened to us about two months ago..a credit card I’ve had for 20 years and our checking account too (no debit card for it)🤬. Total of almost $10,000 but bank made good on it.

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/08/19.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Debit or Credit cards?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They won't even hardly investigate unless you know the POS's name, address, SSN, and who their kids are...

I got taken for $1000 a few years ago, and they had video of the large black guy making the purchases, and local cops up in VA knew who he was.

And despite my statement requesting prosecution, they never even issued a warrant.

Credit card theft is one of the most lucrative and lowest risk of getting caught crimes someone can commit.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Any of our personal financial info could have been stolen/hacked weeks, months or even years ago, unbeknownst to us, and currently listed for sale worldwide on the many "Dark Web" websites that specialize in such, along with thousands upon thousands of others, but just hasn't been bought and exploited yet by end user thieves.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin
Dammit, dammit, DAMMIT! Happened once in 2017, and now this AM, while sucking down a cuppa joe to get woke up to go sit in the woods, I'm online, looking at my account ('cause that's a damn smart thing to do!) I notice a .pending 01 charge from "Bocce ball set", so I called my credit union, they saw another one (.01) from some other obscure vendor, and after I grilled my wife about it (nope), there is no other conclusion, they said it must be an attempt to try the card before they hit it big time.

If I could catch one of those SOBs, I'd dress, skin and quarter him* in my garage over a weekend...

Happens to me every couple of years, too. I feel the same as you about them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a recent card that HAD NEVER BEEN USED. I activated it and kept it in my safe.

Got a nasty-gram from the cc company said I was 3 months late on some charges.

On july 8th someone in Indianapolis filled up two gas tanks and made a $100 cash advance.

I was in Seattle that day. Again, that card was never used and was in my gun safe at the house.

Inside job with cc company all I could think of.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Did you use it at a gas pump recently?

I had my card stolen several times in 2017, I suspected it was happening at a particular gas station so i quit using it for gas period. haven't had a problem since.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had my numbers swiped at a local gas station. Card number was used to pay someone’s municipal court fines in my home state for just under $1000. Local police forwarded the info to bank security. I requested local PD conduct an investigation and file charges. They refused.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Slumlord’s post reminded me of this.... my wife watches “informed delivery” for our mail and that’s what tipped her off. The bill was supposed to be delivered one day but it never got here. Then after the first CC was cancelled we were sent another that was never scanned through “informed “delivery” AND we never received, but it started having things charged on it.

Anyway, the fraud dept and the Secret Service have all the info and may (doubtful) figure it out.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OMCHamlin

Exact same thing happened to me yesterday am. 2 charges, each for 1 cent and different places, though my CC company called to verify the suspicious charges.
My guess is they try to slip a low transaction, and if it isn't flagged, then you get raped.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I have a debit card for my checking..........but never use it......

Seems the gas pumps are some of the most scammed places

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Over 23 million stolen credit cards are being traded on the Dark Web

Over 23 million credit and debit cards were on offer in underground forums in the first half of 2019, researchers claim.

On Thursday, cybersecurity firm Sixgill released its Underground financial fraud report, documenting the trends and trades taking place in the Dark Web in relation to stolen financial data.

The research team said that out of the 23 million cards, nearly two out of every three originated in the United States, and while the US accounted for roughly two-thirds of stolen information, no other nation claimed more than 10 percent.

Following the US was the United Kingdom as a popular source of stolen data whereas in comparison only 316 credit cards on sale came from Russia.

The researchers believe that two factors are in play which keeps the number of Russian payment cards low. The first is "underground criminal attitudes" to stealing Russian information given the prevalence of hackers originating from the country, and the second is Russia's economic position.

"Russia's financial straights are nothing new -- its GDP per capita is $11,000, a sixth of America's $62,000," the report reads. "With such staggering economic disparity between the two countries, we can certainly expect a sizable difference between the number of American and Russian cards offered for sale in underground markets."

Illegal trading posts and marketplaces are constantly being closed by law enforcement agencies. However, when it comes to the purchase and sale of stolen information, a handful of websites remain popular. According to Sixgill, three trading posts accounted for 64 percent of the cards on offer during the first half of 2019.
screenshot-2019-07-25-at-13-12-19.png

CNET: Facebook hit with hefty FTC and SEC fines, DoorDash changes tipping policy

In total, 57 percent of stolen financial records were related to Visa cards, followed by Mastercard at 29 percent. AMEX accounted for 12 percent.

You can pick up stolen credit card data for as little as $5. Dumps containing potentially thousands of numbers usable in the creation of clone cards for physical purchases are common, but the most valuable commodities are records also containing CVV numbers -- the three-digit security code found on the back of payment cards.

Given a CVV code alongside full card numbers and expiry dates, fraudsters would be able to make purchases in person as well as online.

TechRepublic: Facebook data privacy scandal: A cheat sheet

Cybercriminals are also willing to shift their wares to other channels in response to market closures. The report says that Instant Relay Chat (IRC) and encrypted platforms, such as Telegram, are also providing a way for stolen data to be traded.

"The centralization of fraudulent activity in a handful of markets mirrors similar economic and commercial patterns in real-world financial markets," the researchers say. "This phenomenon may seem like a ripe opportunity for law enforcement agencies to effectively shut down a sizable portion of cybercriminal activity; however, as we've seen in the past with the shutting down of markets like Alphabay, Hansa, and Silk Road, threat actors quickly migrate their activities to other markets."

Scratching the Surface: Stolen Card Data on the Dark Web and Beyond

Scratching the Surface: Stolen Card Data on the Dark Web and Beyond
August 6, 2019 at 1:18pm

An in-depth look at how stolen card data is exploited on the dark web and beyond

By Christine Umbrell

Everywhere you turn, there are warnings that your personal information may have been compromised and could be available on the “dark web.” Companies offer monitoring services and dark web scans to alert consumers if their Social Security number, personally identifiable information (PII), or credit card data has been part of a breach and has fallen into the hands of cybercriminals.

These threats are concerning—and real. But it’s not just the dark web that poses a problem if payment card data is stolen—it’s the entire “cybercrime underground,” says David Capezza, senior director of payment fraud disruption at Visa. Understanding the sections of the internet where illicit activities are common, and knowing where stolen card data fits into criminal money laundering schemes and other nefarious online uses, is becoming increasingly important for payments professionals as they look to secure transactions and protect merchants and consumers.

The Hidden Layers of the Web

The internet can be broken down into three sections. The “surface web” is the portion of the World Wide Web that is readily available to the general public and is searchable with standard search engines, such as Google and Bing—but the surface web accounts for only 4 to 10 percent of the internet, according to various estimates. The “deep web” comprises the greatest portion of the internet—about 85 or 90 percent—and houses content that is not indexed by standard web search engines; this area is home to private networks, online banking, medical records, subscription information, and services protected by paywalls.

The “dark web,” by contrast, is a layer of information that can be accessed through overlay networks. Special software and browsers, such as The Onion Router (TOR), are needed to enter the dark web because much of it is encrypted, and forums are hosted anonymously.

The dark web—about 6 percent of the internet—is home to TOR-encrypted sites and many illegal activities. Cybercriminals buy, sell, and trade corporate data, PII, and other digital assets here, according to IntSights, a security provider. Threat actors sift through massive data dumps looking for credit card numbers, email addresses, login credentials, and more. But fewer than 1 percent of internet users have actually visited the dark web, according to IntSights.

“There is underground trade in stolen personal information, account information, and financial information” on the dark web, says Danny Rogers, co-founder and chief executive officer at Terbium Labs, an information security startup. “Fraud is reaching unprecedented levels.”

“We generally think of the dark web as anything that is not openly accessible. It’s ‘dark’ if you can’t just walk around and see it—you need special access tools, special permissions, special accounts—things like that grant you or buy you access to it,” explains Chris Novak, director of Verizon Threat Research Advisory Center. “Some people refer to the dark web as just what is accessible via TOR. I don’t limit it to just that because not all of what we see as dark web is limited to TOR.”

The dark web is not indexed, and users need to know exactly where they’re going to get to the forums they are seeking, says Luke Wilson, head of intelligence at 4iQ, a digital risk monitoring service. This information is traded and shared on different dark web forums. “You can go to these forums, and … people will ask to purchase certain types of data, or to learn how to do something,” and others will respond with suggestions of .onion sites, where cybercriminals share information. “It’s almost like a referral,” explains Wilson. “And everything you are doing on the dark web, you are trying to obfuscate who you are.”

Cybercrime on the Rise

Concerns over stolen online data migrating to the dark web have grown as more criminals have become “cyberthieves.” With the implementation of the EMV standard, card data fraud has shifted from brick-and-mortar stores to online commerce. Since the EMV implementation deadline in 2015, there has been a decrease in in-person counterfeit payment fraud by 80 percent, according to the most recent “Visa Chip Card Update.”

“Until a few years ago, criminals managed to get a lot of credit card information from POS terminals—anywhere you used your card to swipe it,” says Ziv Mador, vice president of security research at Trustwave. Now, “it’s a lot more difficult to create skimmers to compromise those cards because they have been encrypted.”

From a merchant perspective, “the adoption of EMV worldwide has significantly improved security around brick-and-mortar stores” at the POS terminal, says Capezza. “Small- and medium-sized merchants with existing e-commerce environments are being presented with a newer cybercriminal methodology, which is online skimming—the targeting of online e-commerce environments.”

Of all the data breaches analyzed by Trustwave in the company’s “2019 Global Security Report,” breaches originating from magnetic stripe data comprised 22 percent of compromises in 2017, but only 11 percent in 2018. In contrast, breaches of CNP data rose from 18 percent to 25 percent in that same time period.

One of the most recent and devastating cyberthreats facing merchants is the rise of Magecart hackers, according to Mador. These groups of cybercriminals have been very active in the past two years, stealing credit card data by injecting malicious code into the checkout pages of merchants’ e-commerce stores. Magecart groups have been operating since 2015 and are believed to have compromised nearly 50,000 e-commerce sites since then, according to the Trustwave report.

The Value of Stolen Card Data

Payments professionals, merchants, and consumers should understand that as soon as there is a breach of data in any form, “that information is going to the dark web,” says John Sedunov, a professor of finance at Villanova University and an expert in alternative investments. “There’s a real risk of people’s data being accessed on the dark web from data dumps.”

Cybercriminals tend to rely on cryptocurrencies for their online transactions—for example, when purchasing stolen card data. As much as 95 percent of dark web transactions are conducted via cryptocurrencies—primarily Bitcoin—which allow criminals to transfer money without revealing their identities, according to Wilson.

Cryptocurrencies are “a fantastic way for [criminals] to launder things, so they can convert this kind of currency into that kind of currency,” explains Novak. “So, if you can get anything into a cryptocurrency, then you can wash it and move it in a variety of ways that makes it very difficult to trace. And if you can then have it come out the other side in the form of a credit card, then that’s generally accepted just about anywhere, from a mega-reseller to your mom-and-pop pizzeria. So, in some cases that is an end goal—to try and get it back into a currency that is readily accessible.”

Stolen card data is being leveraged in many ways on the dark web, adds Rogers. For example, it is used in money laundering schemes and to turn dark money into “legitimate” funds. The proceeds from sales of card numbers are used for enabling organized crime and gang activities, weapons exchange, trafficking drugs and guns, and many other illegal activities, he says.

Once cybercriminals get hold of card data, they want to monetize it, says Mador. In most cases, “they sell the data to other gangs that know how to use it. There are multiple forums and websites where they can put the information up for sale, and other criminals will buy it and use it. … There are some websites where … every couple of days, there’s a new bulk of 10,000 or 20,000 cards put on sale.”

Mador says the criminals who purchase stolen cards have different goals in mind. “In one case, they buy merchandise—for example, iPhones, iPads, even gift cards—and sell them. That’s basically a money laundering machine because they buy all that merchandise and put it on sale on the open web.” This process turns dirty money into legitimate funds that criminals can use to buy cars, houses, and more.

In addition, gift cards have become a popular way for criminals to turn stolen card data into money. Mador points to websites where people can advertise gift cards and sell them for a discounted price. “Many people sell gift cards for a legitimate purpose,” he explains. “However, [cybercriminals] put up gift cards for sale as a mechanism for money laundering. We see sites on the dark web, and even on the open web, offering gift cards that were purchased using stolen credit cards for many different chains—retail stores, fashion stores, restaurants, and so on.”

Those who purchase stolen credit card information on the dark web benefit from increasingly sophisticated offerings, tailored to their needs. “[Hackers] used to sell cards in a ‘dump’ that includes 50 or 100 credit cards, and you would have to figure out which one” was still active, says Wilson. “Now, they sell individual cards for X amount of dollars, and you can go and very quickly [make fraudulent purchases] before the card is deactivated.”

“There are sites out there where they ‘rack and stack’ them, and say how much exactly a specific card is worth,” agrees Wilson. “For example, ‘Here’s a Mastercard, and it’s from somebody in the Denver area, and it has this amount of credit limit.’ So, an individual will pay X amount of dollars in cryptocurrency to have access to it.” They may be purchasing a card number on the dark web for $50 that has a credit limit of $10,000, explains Wilson.

Some criminals organize stolen card data by ZIP code, according to Novak, “because it makes it harder to [conduct] fraud detection,” he says. This is because criminals can purchase cards to use in their own geographical locations to limit the chances that their transactions will be flagged.

Some fraudsters offer a form of “money-back” guarantee to individuals who purchase stolen cards. “Many of them offer an alternate card for the next six hours if the one they purchased doesn’t work,” says Mador. “It’s a kind of insurance that you will get the details of another stolen card instead, if the card you purchased is invalid.”

It’s also important for consumers and payments professionals to understand that one stolen card could end up on multiple dark web forums. “You can have a breach on the surface web—then 15 to 20 different [sites] on the dark web might be selling that data,” says Wilson. “From one breach, all these different groups are going to do something different—maybe combining data from one breach with another breach or maybe selling the data to conduct business email compromises,” or other criminal endeavors.

A Growing Problem

Once stolen card data hits the dark web, it can be hard to track down just where it lands, and it can be even harder to prosecute offenders.

“Many of these forums are owned by people who live outside of the U.S., where American law enforcement cannot put their hands on them,” says Mador, citing Europe, Russia, Latin America, Asia, and Israel as areas where forums have been hosted.

In addition, criminals on the dark web follow a “code of conduct” designed to protect their illicit business interests. According to Mador, cybercriminals in many underground forums adhere to strict rules that are regulated and overseen by “administrators,” just to “make sure that people don’t scam each other.” For example, “when people are accepted to those forums, they start off with a very low ‘reputation score,’” explains Mador. “As they conduct business and never scam each other, their reputation rises.” These forums are “created and run for the purpose of conducting business between cybercriminals in a fairly trusted environment—as much as they can have.”

Forum administrators also impose “sanctions” on individuals who break their rules, Mador adds. “Their reputation score will be damaged, or they will be identified by the administration as a scammer. In the worst case, they might dox them, and reveal the identities of these individuals—their email addresses, Twitter handles—just to run that person out of business,” he says.

“Often the forum administrators on the dark web share information, so once a person is doxed or has lost his reputation in one forum, that is going to affect him on other forums,” Mador adds.

How Payments Professionals Can Help

Given the growing cybercrime underground, payments professionals should be aware of the dark web and illicit activities all over the internet, and aid merchants and customers in securing payment card data before it is breached. “Be aware of the data that you have and try at all costs to protect it, but also understand what the typical threats might be that are targeting you,” says Wilson. “You have to be on the proactive side of understanding what those threats are.”

The first step, of course, is compliance with PCI Data Security Standards, says Novak (see sidebar, “PCI Compliance”). “Then there needs to be education and awareness around what social engineering activities look like because we’re finding there’s a lot of technical controls that are very effective, if they’re done right, at keeping your data secure.”

Mador recommends that merchants carry out penetration testing, via a third-party security company, to scan websites and applications on an ongoing basis. “We report when we see security issues—missing patches, nonsupported software, or using out-of-date versions of programs,” and then recommend steps for remediation.

“The best breach is the one you never read about,” says Capezza. “We work directly with our clients and merchants worldwide to proactively identify potential risks or threats to their cardholder data environments, to their payment systems, or to their networks.” Visa has taken a proactive approach with its E-Commerce Threat Disruption Program. “We are identifying malicious command-and-control domains that are owned and operated by criminals to deliver Javascript or skimming malware to the merchant checkout pages,” says Capezza. “We are actively seeking the criminal infrastructure out and proactively notifying merchants anytime we identify potential compromises to their merchant environments.”

Visa also takes a “prevent and disrupt,” approach, explains Capezza, to devalue stolen card data. “By the time the data is in the underground, it’s gone through a number of stages to get there. So … how do we stop the data from ever being exposed or compromised in the first place, before it can be accessible by any criminals? … That’s’ where things like 3DS 2.0 and tokenization really come into play. So that if data is potentially compromised at an e-merchant site, for example, that data has no value if it’s compromised,” he explains.

Rogers says payments professionals can play a role in disrupting dark web activities by making it less financially profitable. “Be proactive in devaluing stolen card data” quickly, he recommends.

Payments professionals also should become more educated—by relying on industry partners, information sharing consortiums, retail and financial services information sharing and analysis centers—and then educating merchants, says Capezza. And all payments stakeholders can visit Visa’s website to see public reports and press releases regarding malware, indicators of compromise, mitigation, and protection.

A Look Ahead

Capezza predicts the “democratization of the cybercrime underground” in the coming years. After some recent hard-hitting takedowns of cybercriminals by U.S. and international law enforcement, there’s been a shift away from some of the larger marketplaces that were only accessible in the dark web. “You have seen criminals move more toward the deep web and surface web. And you also see criminals working more peer-to-peer—via direct communication channels, moving away from the centralized marketplaces,” Capezza says. The landscape where these criminals are operating “is undergoing a shift and a change, and that’s something to be aware of.”

Unfortunately, Novak believes that growth of criminal activity on the dark web will continue. “With things like cryptocurrency, ransomware, cryptojacking—all of these things that allow these criminal groups to bring in more money” enable illicit activities. “This is not a problem that’s going away, and even if you secure something in one place, it could pop up somewhere else. You need to do your due diligence all the time.”

“It’s an evolution—there’s always a changing landscape,” adds Wilson. “You can protect against one thing today, but [cybercriminals] will change their tactics, techniques, and procedures. You want to be in that mix of understanding where they’re changing and where they’re going to next, so you can protect your company and your clients.” TT

Christine Umbrell a contributing writer to Transaction Trends. Reach her at cumbrellcontentcommunicators.com.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, I had one hacked before the envelope was opened. And that one was a replacement for one that was hacked.
I use a Cap1 card and the virtual numbers now for online use and no trouble since.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I was sitting on my porch with some friends a couple of months ago when I got a text from my credit card company asking if I’d just used my card for $9 at a Taco Bell in Baltimore. I immediately replied no and the automated system gave me a number to call. I called it and got right through to a fraud gal who said it had just been used and while we were talking she saw another hit for $150 on it which was declined because I’d responded quickly.

In this case the system worked because I had my phone in hand and responded immediately. They’ll hit it for a small amount to test it then immediately go for a big charge if it works. I have no idea how they got my number but it looks like they were somehow able to put it on a fake card that they could swipe. I still had the real card in my wallet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
these days a thief can steal your cc info by just walking by within a few feet of you, as in airport lobby. pocket-held scanners.... next comes the bank asking if you attempted to charge for video games in Taiwan? uhhh, no, not me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine was stolen about 8 years ago. Turns out a receipt I left at the airport in Phoenix was pulled outta the trash, and they used the last 4 of my number along with my name to try and slip a small transaction through. I live in Indiana and it was from a company in Seattle. Bank caught it so no harm done, but now I either take every receipt from every purchase so the store doesn't throw them in the trash, or scrawl out the 4 cards from your number if you happen to leave a tip.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't tip 4 or 5 dollars.....too easy to change to an 8. we had this some years ago, also at an airport food joint (long enough ago that 4 dollars was a good tip)

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Last year my wife's Costco card got hit for $2200. Someone had used it to pay 2 auto insurance premiums. Talk about stupid, using a stolen card to pay for something with a name and address attached. The card company took care of us. I'd like to know what the did with the perp, if anything.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hunter4623
Had my numbers swiped at a local gas station. Card number was used to pay someone’s municipal court fines in my home state for just under $1000. Local police forwarded the info to bank security. I requested local PD conduct an investigation and file charges. They refused.

Yeah, police seem never to be involved. The credit card company just refunds you and doesn't seem to be interested in prosecuting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 89 invisible), 2,720 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,698
Posts18,399,950
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.