Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone ever built one? I have a creek crossing that has gotten deeper over the past 20 years. Every time we get a toad floater it chews the gravel bottom out deeper to the point that it stays 2ft deep or more long after it runs down.

I don’t want culverts or precast box culverts because it gets wild enough during a big flood to tear those out. I’m thinking just a concrete slab 10-12ft wide by 60-70 ft long.

Any other ideas?

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A low water crossing? I've seen them, it should work. The bank depth would have to be right for that.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yes same thing. Bank depth on one side is virtually level, maybe a foot of rise in 20 feet. The other side, which is where the channel mainly flows is more like one foot of rise in 3-4 feet. Not steep by any means. Had been a single lane dirt / gravel roadway since horse and buggy days.

The county will minimal maintenance grade it only after a very severe flood. Otherwise it’s up to the 4-5 landowners who use it to fix and maintain it. It has been a wet year and the ground is so saturated even an inch of rain will put the stream flow up in the cab of your truck. I’m not looking to fill the stream in or bridge it. I just want a solid bottom that won’t continue to get deeper. I’m ok with having to wait until after the rain runs off and down to get in or out. I just want something to be left there to drive on after it’s gone.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
When I got kicked of my sister's farm years ago, the new tennit quit using the culvert I used, and put in a concrete bottom.

We hauled some hay through it a couple of years ago. It worked fine.

I'd wonder if the right size rocks would work?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Unless it’s school bus sized rock it will not stay. It gets pretty crazy there once every few years. I’ve seen whole cars filled with rock eventually get ripped from the bank and never seen again. The water has cut a channel to one side and it just keeps getting deeper on that side.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Arkansas there are quite a few 'low water bridges'. Just cement across the river , but it has to be pretty thick to withstand the current during high water. These are on public roads.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You would have to take measures to be sure the concrete would not under mine?

We have several culverts on this farm, keeping them crossable is a on going thing.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldman3
In Arkansas there are quite a few 'low water bridges'. Just cement across the river , but it has to be pretty thick to withstand the current during high water. These are on public roads.

That’s what I’m trying to figure out if it will work. I realize a large amount (thickness) of concrete will be necessary to create a mass heavy enough not to move. Along with rebar to hold it all together.

If it’s at existing grade and thick enough, maybe even sloped on the sides, I don’t think it would undermine. But I hate to figure out otherwise the hard way.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What machinery can you use? Any junk you could bury under the concreate for a dead man?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Probably limited to a rubber tire backhoe. But I’m afraid to excavate and loosen anything under the existing roadbed because it’s fragile enough as is. If I loosen it up it may really blow out next big flood.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
If you don't want to pay an engineer, some times you just have to bull ahead and do the best you can.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I know what you mean. I saw the results of that during a 500 year flood about 8 - 9 years ago. Really nice I beam and concrete bridge a landowner had built was demolished and relocated a quarter mile or more downstream. Still laying there today useless. Water is an amazing force.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
You are not thinking anything quite this elaborate? laugh[Linked Image from media-cdn.tripadvisor.com]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Not quite, but something like one of these would be equivalent to the interstate highway system compared to current conditions.....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
We have three culverts in a creek all side by side in a pasture, The water just keeps going around them. A failure for sure.

Not enough channel, of fall.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
If culverts and concrete box culverts will wash out, it’s hard to picture a concrete slab not being undermined.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
If culverts and concrete box culverts will wash out, it’s hard to picture a concrete slab not being undermined.

I think the biggest issue with the culverts and box culverts is the amount of debris (trees) that get caught on the upstream side. The weight of the water pushing against them just blows them out. My thinking on an at grade crossing is by the time the water gets deep enough to wash whole trees down stream it will be several feet above the crossing and they'll just slide on over. Sure, you'll have to wait until the water level recedes to get across, but at least there will be something left when it does go back to a normalish level.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
What kind of traffic are you dealing with?

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not a low water crossing, one of the culverts on this farm.

This one worked out well, there was a rock pile nearby, and we had an excavator in to set it, a[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]nd cover with rocks.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by wabigoon
What kind of traffic are you dealing with?

99.9% of the time a one ton with a loaded with cattle trailer would be the most weight. But if any of the 5 landowners chose to sell timber, then you know what that means.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 1234, 50 invisible), 2,696 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.