Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Something to use one handed, limbing, cutting saplings, splitting kindling, butchering, general purpose, carry on a pack or in the back of the truck.
Granfors bruks, hults bruk, others? Models?
Need help here, just haven't done the research to figure out what's available.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Axes was one topic i enjoyed Steelheads posts on.

Field grade knows some stuff on em also.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
20" ish handle would be good I'm thinking. Something one hand-able but long enough to use two hands if needed.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh boy I love axe threads!!! Any good name in axes will probably work but I like the eastwing fire side companion. It's more like a small sledgehammer with the one end shaped like an axe. I haven't got one but think having one handy by the stove or fireplace makes sense. I think the heavy weight & steep angle would bust up kindling without having to swing a hatchet harder & may be some what safer in the house. But a hatchet is way more fun & definitely more useful. Maybe maybe not??? Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Got one. More of a mini splitting mail and excels as a 2lb hammer for driving stakes etc... Totally different purpose though.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I like this little dandy jack, think it’s the hand hatchet by GB... sharp little bugger, like skin a deer sharp.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Have you looked at the new Council Tool Sport Utility Flying Fox Woodsman Hatchet? I just played with one and plan on ordering one tomorrow. Maybe several for Christmas presents.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet and a Small Forest Axe. Both are excellent tools.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Axes was one topic i enjoyed Steelheads posts on.

Back lately as "Girlhunter"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
An axe, I'd go a Council Sport Utility Hudson Bay,you can get them with 18" and 28" handles, or maybe a Husqvarna carpenter's axe.

I'm not a fan of short handled axes, but they do have the uses at times. That said, with what you want, I'd be looking at a Tomahawk.

Get a Cold Steel Frontier. They are a little rough to start with but CHEAP. Get a few handles, sharpen, removedthe set screw and reseat the head. Tomahawks are impressively useful. I've cut the [bleep] out saplings around the place up to 6" trees. You can also remove the head and just use it as a 'knife', skinning tool etc etc.

I've put together so damned many axes in the last year and have a basket full of heads and handles waiting. I'll snap you a few pics tomorrow to show you a few.

Like I said, don't underestimate the usefulness of a Hawk and if you are really out there and bust a handle, it's no trick to make a new one from a stick. No wedges needed.

I've also put some riggers/carpenter heads on longer handles that are quite useful. I also like putting hatchet sized heads (1 1/4 pound) on 24" handles. The swing past their weight class.

Aside from the Tomahawks, which have 22" handles, I generally don't use anything less than 24". The shorter they get, the more dangerous they become and less useful.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have a Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet and a Small Forest Axe. Both are excellent tools.

My Gransfors Bruk Small Forest Axe is one of my favorites. I have the Hults version also and that one has seen more use. Both are excellent light axes.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Girlhunter
An axe, I'd go a Council Sport Utility Hudson Bay,you can get them with 18" and 28" handles, or maybe a Husqvarna carpenter's axe.

I'm not a fan of short handled axes, but they do have the uses at times. That said, with what you want, I'd be looking at a Tomahawk.

Get a Cold Steel Frontier. They are a little rough to start with but CHEAP. Get a few handles, sharpen, removedthe set screw and reseat the head. Tomahawks are impressively useful. I've cut the [bleep] out saplings around the place up to 6" trees. You can also remove the head and just use it as a 'knife', skinning tool etc etc.

I've put together so damned many axes in the last year and have a basket full of heads and handles waiting. I'll snap you a few pics tomorrow to show you a few.

Like I said, don't underestimate the usefulness of a Hawk and if you are really out there and bust a handle, it's no trick to make a new one from a stick. No wedges needed.

I've also put some riggers/carpenter heads on longer handles that are quite useful. I also like putting hatchet sized heads (1 1/4 pound) on 24" handles. The swing past their weight class.

Aside from the Tomahawks, which have 22" handles, I generally don't use anything less than 24". The shorter they get, the more dangerous they become and less useful.

Guess I'm looking for a hatchet more than an axe. Post some pics if you could, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/08/19.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That crkt burler is nice but their Freyr is real nice, bigger head, longer handle, more blade to it also. Kinda expensive but that's Canadian price. Cheaper for you guys, & not as expensive as the Graunsn, spell check we're are ya now ? I have a mini broad axe but I'm left handed, it's tr. I keep thinking I'll change it over to left but I don't use it much anymore, it's a keep sake from my uncle so I'll just leave it. Besides I can always buy a lefty. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm also not a fan of the flat sided Swedish axes, I much prefer a convex head. I know 'everyone' thinks the Swedes are the axe gods, but truth is, American axe making in the late 1800's into the 1900's was the pinnacle of axe design.

Swedes dealt with lots of softwoods.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Guess I'm looking for a hatchet more than an axe. Post some pics if you could, I'd appreciate it.

Hatchets tend to be neither fish nor fowl either, generally.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the different styles and show you also what you can do with a tomahawk. I haven't touched a hatchet in years, it's been tomahawks for the 'shorter' axes and mostly 28-36" for the bigger stuff, with a few 24" handles.

Tomahawks pack away easy, as it's just one rap on butt to remove the head. They are just held on by friction.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Damn, thanks. Look forward to seeing some pics.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you get froggy before then, here:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015404579?pid=924170

Set screw has to be removed, sanded above the head, because they press it on and it creates a ridge in the wood that needs to be sanded down. I also remove the epoxy, sand and coat the handle with BLO, and reprofile/sharpen the head.

They truly are impressive for $20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a BMC 26" hudson bay I'd part with....I flamed and BLO'ed the handle, cold blued the head and oiled the sheath. Just can't find a use for it, if anyone is interested at $160 shipped....

https://www.bestmadeco.com/products/hudson-bay-axe?taxon_id=1570

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hatchets tend to be neither fish nor fowl either, generally.

I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the different styles and show you also what you can do with a tomahawk. I haven't touched a hatchet in years, it's been tomahawks for the 'shorter' axes and mostly 28-36" for the bigger stuff, with a few 24" handles.

Tomahawks pack away easy, as it's just one rap on butt to remove the head. They are just held on by friction.

Kellory’s gonna gush.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cold Steel Frontier tomahawk compared to Gransfors Wildlife hatchet.

As you can see, easy to remove head, just give it a rap on the butt (reverse it to seat head, give it a rap on the head end of handle, I do this against a log etc)

No wedge as in a traditional axe (this is a riggers axe head I put on a different handle, discussed below).

I dropped this tree this morning, bucked it in half and limbed it with the tomahawk. Took all of a few minutes. Limbing was one handed. You can really generate some speed with the 22" handle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Using the hawk head alone makes it a handy tool for cutting meat, veggies, whatever the fugg and skinning. Plus makes travel with it a little easier if you want.

This one is a riggers (or carpenter's) axe head that I put on a handle I removed from a 36" full sized axe. I cut it down, reshaped handle and obviously shaped it to fit the much smaller eye on the riggers head, it's now a 23" handle.

It's about a 1 1/2 pound head but it also has the hardened hammer poll so you can drive stakes, nails, crush heads or whatever the fug you'd do with a hammer. I'm going to make another like it so I have one for each vehicle. One of these or the tomahawk would be my choice. Playing with game/food etc I'd pick the hawk. If you gonna be Johnny builder and hammer some shiet, go with the riggers. Though I do like the longer handle. Typically they come with 13-17 inch handles, again neither fish nor fowl.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now, as my gift to you, if you decide to go either route (hawk or riggers), send to me and I'll fashion it right proper, that's assuming you aren't accustomed to working over axes.

Also, with the tomahawk, there might be the temptation to go to the bigger Cold Steel Rifleman's hawk. Don't do it. I have one, that I removed the poll from but it still has a smaller flat section you can hammer with. That said, it's enough bigger/heavier to make one handed use not that great. After playing with a bunch of them, I've found the Frontier version to be the best all around choice.

Frontier compared to Rifleman's hawk.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Frontier Hawk compared to a Council Sport Utility 28" Hudson Bay (1.75 pound head)

I know this is likely bigger than you want, but it's a hatchet head (1.3 pounds) that I put on a boys axe handle (28"). It's a frigging beast and you can really get the speed going with it (Wildlife hatchet pictured with it).

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh, and if you think the 22" handle on the hawk is a little long, cut the fugger down. It's a straight handle so you can make it any length you want.

You can have a 14" handle for it to put in your pack, a 22" handle for cutting shiet around camp, whatever you want.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Good thread, I appreciate the pics and comparisons.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by longarm

Yes sir. I have lots of other axes if anything interests you.

The biggest problem with many American axes is too high a center line, especially newer axes. Good for splitting but not for much else. Best to reprofile and give more of a convex edge. I'll see if I can get some pics to better explain in the next day or two. Snow tomorrow, so I'll be hunting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I much prefer the Basque Felling ax and the Basque Splitting ax.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Felling axes and splitting axes are a bit different than what he's asking for.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yup but the Basque make just about everything!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Not familiar with their line. Do you have a link to their hawks?

Still hard to beat a $15 dollar American head, a new piece of hickory and a little sweat, but that' me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you figure out what you want, an axe or hatchet you might want to consider these.

Eastwing "Carpenters" 13" 2 lbs. . Stacked leather handle. Very versatile around camp or hunting.
[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

Snow & Nealley Hudson Bay 24" 3.2 lbs.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Estwings can be a little 'tiring' on the hands with the metal handle and they are heavy.

Agreed on the HB, they are a good all around, master of none axe, if you want that added length/weight. That's not being sarcastic.

I scuffed at hawks since forever, but have changed my tune that past few years, for a carry around/hunt with kind of axe.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I love axes/hatchets

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Probably my favorite got off the old man, he has a twin to it that needs a handle

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Judman
I love axes/hatchets

RIght?

I'm old and retired, so I haven't touched a chainsaw in years. Not that I won't in the future and not that I have anything against them. Just that I have time and there is something relaxing about the chop, chop, chop of an axe.

One has to appreciate the history of American axe making, and cutting [bleep] up with a 100 year old axe. I'll never tell you that are more efficient than a chainsaw, or a hand saw in many situations. But they are enjoyable and allow an older guy to get a little mid-winter exercise and enjoy 'nature' without smelling gasoline and oil.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Not familiar with their line. Do you have a link to their hawks?

Still hard to beat a $15 dollar American head, a new piece of hickory and a little sweat, but that' me.

Yes there is a line let me find a link. I think most guys tend to order from a maker on a semi-custom or custom base from Spain.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Very cool Kelly broad hatchet.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
An Axe to Grind manual, good read for axe lovers.

An Axe to Grind

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Granddad's broadaxe (off set handle) and hatchet.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh ya, if they could tell stories!! I love old stuff...

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Very cool Kelly broad hatchet.

👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Few I just enjoy lookin at
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image hosting russia

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

Well now that you mention it..
I got this one a year ago. I think I was told the head was #1.25 - 1.5 (I can't recall exactly). Fella guessed it was from the 30s or 40s. No marks on the head. The handle is quite narrow.
I got it thinking I would wear it from my belt and use it around camp to clear brush, etc. It's just a little long and a little heavy for comfortable one handed use.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Here’s one I bought off dale Howe last year, dunno if he forged the head or not??

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This is sweet!

https://www.lamnia.com/en/p/41493/tools/hachas-jauregi-butcher-axe-carbon-2-00kg

[Linked Image from ]

When I was a kid I had an old meat cleaver I found in an outbuilding wall on the farm. That heavy cleaver supported a prolific fort building enterprise. Always building something, I was almost never without it. That is until I left it in the bottom of my radio flyer wagon under baskets of garden tomatoes put for sale up by the road. I always assumed it was stolen by a prospective tomato buyer. I suffered its loss for many years.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Girlhunter,

I'd be very interested in your comparison/review of Trail hawk, Frontier hawk, and Pipe hawk.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Few I just enjoy lookin at
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]image hosting russia

Kingston, that cleaver there I found in my barn when I bought this place years ago, cool piece

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Well now that you mention it..
I got this one a year ago. I think I was told the head was #1.25 - 1.5 (I can't recall exactly). Fella guessed it was from the 30s or 40s. No marks on the head. The handle is quite narrow.
I got it thinking I would wear it from my belt and use it around camp to clear brush, etc. It's just a little long and a little heavy for comfortable one handed use.

It's obviously a Hudson Bay pattern, looks like 1.5 to 1.75 pound head, from the pics. Lots of good 'no name' axes out there.

I don't have a Pipe Hawk but have had a Trail Hawk but gave it to a friend. A little smaller cutting edge than the Frontier but it certainly is a good way to go if you need a polled hawk.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Thanks

It's almost impossible for me to spend $150 on an axe when I get get a good, old school American head for $15 and a piece of hickory for $7 that will beat most anything made today.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Scott, where do you get your handles? Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can’t get post image to work. Looks like it’s down.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya me neither

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Scott, where do you get your handles? Thanks

I was getting them from House Handles in MO, but I was getting about 50% culls. Also be prepared to remove a lot of wood from them, but that's far better than not having enough to work with. About a year ago I found a local guy that runs a saw mill and makes handles, so that's my avenue right now.

Avoid Beaver Tooth handles.

Also, Whiskey River has good handles, inventory is spotty and they are a bit pricey but they are good to go.

https://whiskeyrivertrading.com/collections/whiskey-river-premium-select-handles

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Obliged

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Snow & Nealley good quality or hype? The Hudson Bay model they make is slick looking.
Council 2# Hudson Bay too.

Last edited by jackmountain; 12/09/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Snow & Nealley good quality or hype? The Hudson Bay model they make is slick looking.

They used to be alright, but IIRC they then took production over seas. Then a couple years ago, they were bought and the new owner was restoring production in ME. This is all from fuzzy memory.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I've only seen them on Beans site recently.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I probably have an original one. If you want it I’ll look.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by kingston

They used to be alright, but IIRC they then took production over seas. Then a couple years ago, they were bought and the new owner was restoring production in ME. This is all from fuzzy memory.

I've read the heads are made someplace in the mid-west and assembled in Maine. I've not laid my hands on a newer version.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
I probably have an original one. If you want it I’ll look.

I'd definitely be interested in one. Thanks Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An Axe to Grind manual, good read for axe lovers.

An Axe to Grind

Good stuff! Thanks for "hanging" that.

J
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Now that post image is up, here are two of my favorites.
The plumb needs a correct handle.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That Plumb would be fun to hang. Looks more like a Rockaway pattern.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Husqvarna axes are made in Sweden by Hults Bruks I think. Anyway they are quality for the price. I like to carry the 13 inch hatchet hiking. I also have the carpenters axe, but it is a little big to carry for me. I buy them on "sale" at amazon and use my free credit card points. I sharpen them up and give them away to friends. 40 bucks shipped is a good price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-57...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B00HC077GQ

https://www.awesomeaxes.com/husqvarna-carpenters-axe-review/

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Either of these two Wetterlings axes would do the job. I bought the smaller one back in 2001, the 19 inch in 2009. Both have done everything I have asked of them. They are great tools in the woods for clearing downed trees off trails, making kindling, or cleaning a campsite. The smaller ax has even processed some hogs.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sam......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Oh, one a forgot. Pretty indestructible, Fiskars X15 23" axe

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Chop...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
There are just too many good old axe heads around for cheap to spend $150, or more, on an axe in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey gawdammit....You're blowing my sale...grin

should I drop the price to $140?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Hey gawdammit....You're blowing my sale...grin

should I drop the price to $140?

That wasn't directed your way! Yours is a quality piece.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Snow & Nealley® axes are being made once again in the USA thanks to an Amish man and his sons who bought the iconic brand. Caring deeply about their work, they drop forge each blade from high carbon steel, then hand-temper, grind and finish it. The result is top notch craftsmanship you'll notice.

My Snow & Nealley was bought in the late 1980's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are just too many good old axe heads around for cheap to spend $150, or more, on an axe in my opinion.

Girlhunter;
Good evening, I trust that this finds you well and you're as ready for Christmas as you hoped to be.

It would seem that axes are an affinity that crosses cultures and borders, thanks for the interesting photos and ideas on the various uses and types. In particular, I've got to agree with your thoughts that very good projects can be had for much less than $150USD, but then I seem to enjoy projects as much as axes.... blush

We've got all sorts of "flea market" areas up here across the medicine line - typically on either Saturday or Sunday - where one can find all sorts of old used ax heads, usually in fair to good condition for very reasonable prices.

For years I picked up anything that looked to be made in Sweden as well as decent US made ones. Someday I'll empty the vehicles and take some photos of the finished ones as well as some of the interesting project heads still waiting handles.

Like you, I've been experimenting with longer handles on lighter heads and not only are they safer to use - further from one's own limbs, shins and such, but they're a different animal with an extra foot of handle somehow are they not? cool

For shorter stuff, I've been playing with reshaping roofing hammers into handy little 12oiz -14oz tomahawks which cut all out of proportion to their size. It doesn't hurt that they look sorta cool too.

Lastly, I've been fooling with a couple double bit axes - using them mainly for splitting and experimenting with different types of sharpening to see what works best.

Anyway, it's cool to know I'm not the only ax aficionado out there!

All the best to you and yours this Christmas season.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Girlhunter;
Good evening, I trust that this finds you well and you're as ready for Christmas as you hoped to be.

It would seem that axes are an affinity that crosses cultures and borders, thanks for the interesting photos and ideas on the various uses and types. In particular, I've got to agree with your thoughts that very good projects can be had for much less than $150USD, but then I seem to enjoy projects as much as axes.... blush

We've got all sorts of "flea market" areas up here across the medicine line - typically on either Saturday or Sunday - where one can find all sorts of old used ax heads, usually in fair to good condition for very reasonable prices.

For years I picked up anything that looked to be made in Sweden as well as decent US made ones. Someday I'll empty the vehicles and take some photos of the finished ones as well as some of the interesting project heads still waiting handles.

Like you, I've been experimenting with longer handles on lighter heads and not only are they safer to use - further from one's own limbs, shins and such, but they're a different animal with an extra foot of handle somehow are they not? cool

For shorter stuff, I've been playing with reshaping roofing hammers into handy little 12oiz -14oz tomahawks which cut all out of proportion to their size. It doesn't hurt that they look sorta cool too.

Lastly, I've been fooling with a couple double bit axes - using them mainly for splitting and experimenting with different types of sharpening to see what works best.

Anyway, it's cool to know I'm not the only ax aficionado out there!

All the best to you and yours this Christmas season.

Dwayne

Agreed on the smaller heads on a longer handle. Much under appreciated. That said, I believe axes are an 'afterthought' in today's world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was just in the local hardware store and happened to look at axe handles after reading this thread.

Holy crap!.......$$$$$$$$$$

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by VernAK
I was just in the local hardware store and happened to look at axe handles after reading this thread.

Brand? How much? The ones I get from my local guy range from $7 to $9 per.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Something to use one handed, limbing, cutting saplings, splitting kindling, butchering, general purpose, carry on a pack or in the back of the truck.
Granfors bruks, hults bruk, others? Models?
Need help here, just haven't done the research to figure out what's available.

Just used my Granfors a couple days ago to take out some thick mature landscaping plants in my front bed.

Darn near effortless.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK

Brand? How much? The ones I get from my local guy range from $7 to $9 per.

I'll check the brand again but prices ranged from $25 to $35......I'll have to check Sampson's
in Fairbanks on my next trip.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
To add on to Girlhunter's long handle, small head point:

I made an axe head from an old truck axle, 2 lb, with a hammer poll and longish blade, but short cutting edge and put a longer handle on it from a single bit handle I had laying around. I'll have to measure it, not sure on length. First axe I made from scratch, so learning experience, I didn't draw the cheeks out as far as I'd like, but so far it's a real chopper. Limbed some, and chopped some small lodgepole for schidts and giggles. Going to make another one for a buddy, but will make wider cheeks and probably widen the edge as well, as this one will bury itself and get stuck. Neat to have in the truck, but too heavy I think for what the OP was writing about.

Been making some small hatchets from ball peens though that I think would fit the bill nicely. After I plow my driveway out out, going to fire up the forge and try to crank a couple more out this weekend and post up for sale on FB or here if anybody'd be interested.

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got any pics billy goat? Thanks

Ain’t easy havin pals.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Got any pics billy goat? Thanks

I do but on my phone. I'm happy to text them to anybody with an iPhone. Maybe I'll try another pic hoster or something tonight. Been saying that for months. smile

MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy just pmd ya

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Copy just pmd ya

You should be right in the middle of '[bleep], I have too damned many axes' territory. All the logger and old loggers around, there has to be an abundance of old axe heads.

Get the [bleep] on it and gather some up. I'll take a few and put together a few handy [bleep] for you.

A pair of Puget sound doubles would be hella cool

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ya I got the ol man on the lookout he’s always out and about

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Puget Sound head. The Sagers are pretty common, I'd love to have one. This is a Plumb.

[Linked Image from thumbs.worthpoint.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Link doesn’t work

Ain’t easy havin pals.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Link doesn’t work

You talking to me?

Here's a different pic

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
👍 I’ll check the ol mans shop he’s got some double bit heads out there

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Which reminds me, the boy found the remnents of a old steam donkey down on the coast last week, at the tail end of there setting.. be cool to take a metal detector down there and look around

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh, one a forgot. Pretty indestructible, Fiskars X15 23" axe

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Chop...Y2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I have a Gerber version of this one, looks to be identical, probably same thing rebranded. I've been known to shape an old hockey stick to put in the hollow handle to reach higher on a chaga tree.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On the Cold Steel tommy, did you need to do much work to it before use, or just as is? Seems a good price for a complete ax, is it real soft steel or what?

Last edited by NMiller; 12/19/19.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 2500HD, 72 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,419 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,476
Posts18,451,812
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.