Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've got several boxes of these that I acquired when I bought out a persons reloading supplies. I have played with them a little bit, and have one rifle that seems to really like them. I'm using 26.7 Varget. My question.......does anyone have any experience with them, and on what animals.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
they are a great coyote and deer bullet

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dude270
they are a great coyote and deer bullet

I figured they'd work on a coyote, but didn't know about deer. I've not had a burning desire to use a 223 for deer, but would love to know I had a bullet that would work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you shoot behind the shoulder they will exit, through the shoulder blade and they may not exit but will dig enough to wreck the vitals.
the 60 and 55 Hornady soft points are tough little suckers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I run a ton of the 60s SP Hornadys... I prefer it over the 55s, more accurate, and in at least my opinion, they seem to penetrate more the larger the size of the animal gets...

If I had to hunt deer with the 223, the 60 SP Hornady, 63 SMP Sierra and the 70 SMP Speer, are the three choices I'd use...
I've had good results with all three bullets on deer over the years... from both the 223, and especially the 22.250...
and the accuracy of all three are superior to the 55s etc, that I've seen.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've killed a bunch of deer with both the 55 and 60 gr. Hornady's. I can't tell a damn bit of difference between the two. I put one of the 55 grainers through both shoulder blades of a big doe from 80 yards. She dropped in her tracks. Bullet was recovered from just under the hide of the offside shoulder. Mushroomed clear back almost to the base but jacket and core still in one piece. Have killed many with double lung shots and most go down within 30 - 40 yards. They often exit on broadside shots. No question they do more damage to the lungs than a 170 grain .30-30 bullet, which I have killed many with. The one down side is they tend not to leave a very good blood trail. I have not hesitated to shoot deer with either bullet in the past and will not in the future. A couple of my biggest bucks fell to 55 gr Hornady's.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've killed a bunch of deer with both the 55 and 60 gr. Hornady's. I can't tell a damn bit of difference between the two. I put one of the 55 grainers through both shoulder blades of a big doe from 80 yards. She dropped in her tracks. Bullet was recovered from just under the hide of the offside shoulder. Mushroomed clear back almost to the base but jacket and core still in one piece. She dropped in her tracks. Have killed many with double lung shots and most go down within 30 - 40 yards. They often exit on broadside shots. No question they do more damage to the lungs than a 170 grain .30-30 bullet, which I have killed many with. The one down side is they tend not to leave a very good blood trail. I have not hesitated to shoot deer with either bullet in the past and will not in the future. A couple of my biggest bucks fell to 55 gr Hornady's.

The only .224 bullets I have gotten much of a blood trail with were the Partitions.

Some pretty heavy trails for a small caliber bullet.

Shot a doe a couple years back with the 55 Hornady in a 22-250 and not a single drop of blood was seen. Only a sample of 1 and I wouldnt hesitate to use it again. Damn fine bullet.

Actually leaning towards the Hornady 60 grain HP as my all around 223 bullet for critters, coyotes and deer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Ingwe has used them for deer during his stunt-shooting phase. I quizzed him about it, as I saw Hornady is offering that bullet in a factory "deer load' , He said they work well. I haven't had a chance to try them yet. I might be hesitant on a big buck, but I'd sure use them on does and dinks.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I've shot deer, antelope and turkeys with them.Pick your shots, and they work well. It was a "go to" bullet before all these cool premium bullets came about...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ingwe
I've shot deer, antelope and turkeys with them.Pick your shots, and they work well. It was a "go to" bullet before all these cool premium bullets came about...

you know you're behind the technology curve when a guy from Montana is telling you about "cool premium bullets than have came about".........

of course what would you expect from someone driving a 32 year old Toyota with 570,000 miles on it still......

I might get into the 21st Century before I die after all.....but kicking and screaming all the way....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The HP not the SP correct?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Yeah...thats the one to OP asked about....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

The OP, me, asked about the 60 grain soft point, not an HP.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JamesJr

The OP, me, asked about the 60 grain soft point, not an HP.

TRUE!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

seems like I use this meme more and more as I get older....

You mean I'm supposed to read this stuff before I respond? shocked

I shot the SP...

Last edited by ingwe; 10/31/19.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
We have shot a few deer/antelope with the Hornady 60SP in 223. No problems breaking at least one shoulder and into the vitals.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
We have shot a few deer/antelope with the Hornady 60SP in 223. No problems breaking at least one shoulder and into the vitals.

What were some of the closest ranges?

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the responses. I have a Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical 223 that really seems to like this bullet. I may have to try it on a deer, although I'm not going to just shoot one for the sake of experimentation.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bet it works just fine. Have seen a lot of other 55 grain bullets used out of 22 calibers.

Hit em where they live and they are very easy to kill.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I fired several boxes of 60 SPs a long time ago, they were marvy on paper, but not quite as marvy as the plastic tips that showed up about that time....

But, I did get a couple of coyotes with them, it was like hitting them with a hammer but no exit. Just a WHOP and down. This was in my first 10FP Savage barrel, a 1 in 9 I think. Good bullet, if you see a good deal on them, go ahead.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We have a fella that come to the range monthly, he is a paid Cull hunter for the state and works the 7 county metro around the Twin Cites metro.
They shoot a lot of deer in the parks and river bottoms. His go to bullet for this task is the Hornady 60gr SP.
Said that most tip over in sight.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

720 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 59 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,146
Posts18,464,986
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.