Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Last year for Christmas I wanted to branch out and get away from the traditional turkey or ham. Went with a Prime Rib I ordered from a local butcher shop. It was beautiful and turned out Rare. The taste was the only complaint...it was kinda blah. I am a big time steak guy and can grill a mean steak. I cannot, however, master the Prime Rib yet... I’m coming to the ‘fire for help. Thanks in advance

Buy once, cry once.
GB2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Take the roast out of the fridge 3 hours or so before you put it on the bbq that helps a lot with having rare meat in the middle. Season it generously with your favorite seasonings. Sea salt, pepper, Montreal steak spice and prime rib seasoning is what I use. I put it in a tin foil roasting pan and cover with tin foil. Turn it about every 20 minutes. Takes about 2 hours for an 8 pound roast. Use a meat thermometer. I take it off to rest when center of roast is 140°. Trial and error = perfection.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
The rib roast is the hardest cut I have ever tried. Scared stiff of spoiling that much good beef, and $$$$$

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use lots of salt. white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Salt and pepper. Let come to room temp.

Sear uncovered in a really hot oven.

Cover....turn oven down.

Pull out roast and rest when required doneness is achieved. Make gravy while you wait.

Easy peasy.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Our easy way of doing them here mixing up soft butter with garlic, pepper, kosher salt, and whatever else you like. Covering the roast with the butter as thick as you can make it.

Pre heat an oven to broil and cook for 5 minutes per pound of roast. Once you’ve reached the time limit DO NOT open the oven. Just shut it off and let it sit in their for an hour. It should have a great crust on it and be medium rare in the middle.

The other way we do it is a dry rub, sear the outsides for 2 minutes on every piece you can get to then chuck it on the Traeger or similar at 225 until it hits 125 or your preferred temp internal.

Either is excellent.

Semper Fi
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
far as i know this guy is the one to ask: atvalaska

there are two others, BYC, who doesn't post here anymore, and the other guy from cali who caters large events...can't remember his handle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Either on Weber kettle or, if the oven, the recipe that starts about 500 for 20 min then turn off oven.....

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
I am a big time steak guy and can grill a mean steak. I cannot, however, master the Prime Rib yet... I’m coming to the ‘fire for help. Thanks in advance

Best one I made, was done by cutting the roast into steaks grin

Sale prices have been pretty good around here during Christmas. Makes for some cheap steaks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the oven method Jim and others have suggested a lot. However, the surest way to get a perfectly cooked prime rib, in my opinion, is the sous vide method. I like to finish it on a very hot oak wood fire. You can literally guarantee how it will turn out. What's more, it will be the same color from edge to edge with a good sear without the gray over-cooked edges and a too rare center. Perfect every time.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use reverse sear

Take out allow to come to room temp
Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
apply salt , white pepper, powdered garlic, and powdered onion
Bake roast in the preheated oven until internal temperature reaches 115 degrees F (46 degrees C) for medium-rare, about 3 1/2 hours. Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil; allow to rest, about 20 minutes.
Increase oven temperature to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Uncover roast
Return roast to the oven and bake until well-browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Slice and serve

I make Au jus while the roast is cooking

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sse
far as i know this guy is the one to ask: atvalaska

there are two others, BYC, who doesn't post here anymore, and the other guy from cali who caters large events...can't remember his handle

2nd that

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by super T
I like the oven method Jim and others have suggested a lot. However, the surest way to get a perfectly cooked prime rib, in my opinion, is the sous vide method. I like to finish it on a very hot oak wood fire. You can literally guarantee how it will turn out. What's more, it will be the same color from edge to edge with a good sear without the gray over-cooked edges and a too rare center. Perfect every time.

Good darned call! Haven’t tried to sous vide one yet. Maybe for Christmas!

Semper Fi

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
650 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 76 invisible), 2,738 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.