Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looking closely at a Weathermark Mark V for a 6.5 Creed mid range hunting platform. Handled one in a different caliber recently, and everything looked top notch. Super smooth action, great trigger. One thing kinda caught my eye, though- apparently Weatherby intentionally engineers a contact point between the stock and barrel towards the front end of the stock to improve accuracy on light sporter profile rifles. I know they know more about barrel harmonics than I ever will, but this just seems counterintuitive to everything I've ever learned about rifles- any pressure on a barrel can and will change with different rests, conditions or temperatures and inconsistency equals loss of accuracy.

So, who has experience with this? Accurate across a range of conditions as is, or would it be worthwhile to consider removing that contact point and bedding the action to the stock instead? How far do I make it on the idiocy scale for entertaining the idea of taking a dremel to the stock of a $1200 rifle? Thanks for any input.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Calling Fotis, come in Fotis...

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I cant chime in on the higher end stuff but I do have a Vanguard S2 in 25-06. It was pretty easy to get a sub MOA load worked up for it with Barnes TTSX. I still think it is the most rifle you can get for 479 to 499. Stock feels like a rifle stock, trigger is great and the action is VERY smooth. No plastic trigger guards or safeties either.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have an Accumark in .270win and the gun is ridiculously accurate. It makes me look like Im good at shooting. Its my confidence hunting rifle.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I had both of my Mk V’s “speed bumps” cut out. Both rifles, 7 Wby UL & 280 UL are extremely accurate after the sanding & bedding, not so prior. Both are repeatable & predictable in accuracy with several bullet weights. The 280 UL is especially comfortable to shoot & carry.

Your concern is quite valid. I have only seen two Wby’s that actually preferred the pressure point, both were 300 Wby’s. I have worked with about a dozen MK V’s other than my five.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve had several, all shot well.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by OXN939
Looking closely at a Weathermark Mark V for a 6.5 Creed mid range hunting platform. Handled one in a different caliber recently, and everything looked top notch. Super smooth action, great trigger. One thing kinda caught my eye, though- apparently Weatherby intentionally engineers a contact point between the stock and barrel towards the front end of the stock to improve accuracy on light sporter profile rifles. I know they know more about barrel harmonics than I ever will, but this just seems counterintuitive to everything I've ever learned about rifles- any pressure on a barrel can and will change with different rests, conditions or temperatures and inconsistency equals loss of accuracy.

So, who has experience with this? Accurate across a range of conditions as is, or would it be worthwhile to consider removing that contact point and bedding the action to the stock instead? How far do I make it on the idiocy scale for entertaining the idea of taking a dremel to the stock of a $1200 rifle? Thanks for any input.

Weatherby and a bunch of others use speed bumps. Shoot the rifle first. If your going to take a dremel to the stock then be prepared to bed the front lug correctly. I lost count of the number of Mark V's I have owned , only one was a problem and it had nothing to do with accuracy and that was 20 years ago. Weatherby replaced it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've owned and hunted with Weatherbys my entire life. They are well made, accurate rifles but I recognize they are not for everybody and if you go to the expense of owning one, get it a Weatehrby caliber.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Reloder28
I had both of my Mk V’s “speed bumps” cut out. Both rifles, 7 Wby UL & 280 UL are extremely accurate after the sanding & bedding, not so prior. Both are repeatable & predictable in accuracy with several bullet weights. The 280 UL is especially comfortable to shoot & carry.

Your concern is quite valid. I have only seen two Wby’s that actually preferred the pressure point, both were 300 Wby’s. I have worked with about a dozen MK V’s other than my five.

So now that's my decision... do I want to spend that kind of money on a rifle that I know has a potential design flaw that I may have to "fix?" Not that doing a bedding job is a big deal- I've gotten my Marine Tex and Kiwi shoe polish technique down pretty well at this point. Tough call, though. Several other rifles that are close to the same price point do not share such a concern (Bergara Premier Mountain, Barrett Fieldcraft) but have Remington 700 style two position safeties which I don't like, and I've never been able to find either to see in person. Decisions, decisions.

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jorgeI
They are well made, accurate rifles but I recognize they are not for everybody and if you go to the expense of owning one, get it a Weatehrby caliber.

Interesting perspective. Why would you recommend against getting one in a mainstream caliber? I'll never shoot more than 500 yards at game, and 6.5 Creed gives perfectly acceptable performance at a price point that fits my budget.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Prolly shouldn't even comment since I've never owned a Weatherby...But, for a few years around here I did very well with a plain jane model 70 .308 that was a real sleeper at the local turkey shoots. Then along came a couple fellows moved into the area, one with a .257 Wby and one with a .300 Wby (with a barrel contour about the size of a buggy whip). They routinely spanked my ass with them cannons. I got no beef with the Creed, I love mine, but don't underestimate the proprietary calibers in Weatherby.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

......................Well imo, I think you would be well or better served if you can acquire a newer Sheridan Wyoming version of the Weathermark now on their site. Made a few improvements.

I have an Accumark chambered in 338-378. She is one accurate and booming piece using the best reloads she likes....On the heavy side but dats ok....

If ya go to the Bee site they have a Q&A section there which will answer your barrel free float and pressure point questions. Basically the heavier #3 contour barrels are free floated such as my Accumark, while the #2 and thinner tubes require a contact or pressure point in order to combat their tendency to be a little more whippy (barrel harmonics) than the heavier #3 barrels............

If my buddy makes me a good enough offer (he wants my Accumark), then I will replace it with one of the new and improved Wyoming MK5 Bees. .

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a 2006 model Mark V in 270 Weatherby and it is very accurate, 3 shots touching on the average day with Weatherby Ammo. I have a late 1980's Vanguard deluxe in 270 Weatherby that recently put 5 shots in the same hole that could be covered with a nickel. My Vanguard S2 in 300 Weatherby is another that is scary accurate 3 shots under a dime with weatherby brand ammo. So I cannot complain one bit. I have not tried any handloads out of any of them as the $36.00 dollar a box Weatherby select ammo shoots really well.

The Mark V and the Vanguard deluxe are both bedded and barrels are floated ( bought both of them used that way). The 300 Weatherby is straight out of the box, no bedding and there is a slight pressure point. Can't find a reason to mess with it.

Last edited by Rugerfan4374; 12/09/19.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I’ve owned several Wby Mk Vs over the years and all were very good shooting rifles. My son owns one of the UL models in 270Win and it’s a great shooting rig. Handles several bullets in different weights and shoots amazingly small groups for such a light rig.
My old buddy Jorge is a Wby purist, he can’t stand a Wby cartridge in anything but their rifles, and can’t own a Wby rifle chambered to anything but one of their cartridges!

OXN939 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

The Mark V and the Vanguard deluxe are both bedded and barrels are floated ( bought both of them used that way). The 300 Weatherby is straight out of the box, no bedding and there is a slight pressure point. Can't find a reason to mess with it.

I'm justifying spending this amount of dineros by seeing the bedding idea as a backup- I'll shoot it, see if it achieves the tiny little Weatherby groups you often hear about, and if not, bust out my dremel and Marine Tex.

Originally Posted by John55

My old buddy Jorge is a Wby purist, he can’t stand a Wby cartridge in anything but their rifles, and can’t own a Wby rifle chambered to anything but one of their cartridges!

I do wish dearly I could afford to feed a rifle in a Weatherby-specific cartridge... a guy can dream.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
OXN939,do you handload?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I’ve owned several Wby Mk Vs over the years and all were very good shooting rifles. My son owns one of the UL models in 270Win and it’s a great shooting rig. Handles several bullets in different weights and shoots amazingly small groups for such a light rig.

I feel the exact same way. The only standard cartridge I ever owned in a Mark V was a 280 in the 6lug.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

I'm justifying spending this amount of dineros by seeing the bedding idea as a backup- I'll shoot it, see if it achieves the tiny little Weatherby groups you often hear about, and if not, bust out my dremel and Marine Tex.

I do wish dearly I could afford to feed a rifle in a Weatherby-specific cartridge... a guy can dream.

Again very few rifles do not have a foreend tip when they are put in a synthetic stock. These manufacturers will not bother putting in a dab of epoxy behind the lug. Bergara Premier Mountain, Barrett Fieldcraft are layed up stocks. If you can afford a new Weathermark then you surely can afford a weatherby specific cartridge.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 12/10/19.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The stock on any rifle is so easy to replace. My new Sako 85 is the second of two to have its factory stock turn into a sticky mess. The barreled actions, being the business center of the guns, are the finest commercial rifles I own. I have one custom stocked & the other soon to be. These are near $1600 each & should never have had any issues.

No way I would pass on the gun over a stock problem.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Spot on ! smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 160user, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 63 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,761
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.