Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
other than really good cinematography and visuals, the movies sucked. They were poorly conceived, poorly cast, took insane liberties with the story and plot, and were a huge disappointment. What Peter Jackson did to the Hobbit later, was criminal.
That said, I spin up one of the movies now and then, just for the visuals.

I am re reading Return of the King now. Started reading Tolkein back in 1996. Never tire of the story. I have all the other books too, the ones by his Son Christopher.

Well Sam, the movies will seldom be true to the books.

The movies were already long enough. To be even somewhat faithful to the books would require them to be 10 times longer than they are now.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
The movies are good, but I still like re-reading the books every few years.

Yep. Me too.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Sprint11

Read all the books too, but I prefer the 1970's version of the Hobbit and Lord of the rings.

I saw the 1970s Hobbit, but never The Lord Of The Rings. Didn't know it existed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
other than really good cinematography and visuals, the movies sucked. They were poorly conceived, poorly cast, took insane liberties with the story and plot, and were a huge disappointment. What Peter Jackson did to the Hobbit later, was criminal.
That said, I spin up one of the movies now and then, just for the visuals.

I am re reading Return of the King now. Started reading Tolkein back in 1996. Never tire of the story. I have all the other books too, the ones by his Son Christopher.

Well Sam, the movies will seldom be true to the books.

I was unhappy that the movies entirely left out Tom Bombadil. I think they may have mentioned him once during the meeting at Elrond's House.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you haven’t read the simirilian do yourself a huge favor and pick it up. It is Tolkien’s life work, it’s not an easy read, many names and bloodlines covered. I have read it 3 times. You may be surprised who/what Gandalf really is.

MM

My only gripe with the movies is they left out my all time favorite character, Tom Bombadil. The first man, and most likely the last.

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 12/08/19.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tolkien and C.S Lewis were good friends, both excellent authors. Lewis is best known for his Narnia series but two of my top ten books I’ve ever read were penned by him. His space trilogy series is mind blowing fiction , the second of the series is my top book. The second is titled “ the problem of pain” and brilliantly covers why bad things happen to good people. It’s a tough read but really shaped my outlook on the subject.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since i never got into the books, I tried to watch the first movie, but gave up because of disinterest. Might have been different if I had taken the time to plow ahead in the first book, I guess...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
If you haven’t read the simirilian do yourself a huge favor and pick it up. It is Tolkien’s life work, it’s not an easy read, many names and bloodlines covered. I have read it 3 times. You may be surprised who/what Gandalf really is.

MM

My only gripe with the movies is they left out my all time favorite character, Tom Bombadil. The first man, and most likely the last.

Gandalf isn’t human, if that’s what you mean. We found that out pretty early.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We used to, the three movies then the hobbit series, but my Ex took em with her when she walked, aint really had the heart to sit through em since.

Once in a while I’ll google on YouTube my favorite scenes.... Eowin taking out that head Nazgul being high on the list.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I think I like the Silmarilliian best. Oh course I was once called a geek by an English Lit teacher for admitting it.

It irritated me that Jackson had Arwen save Frodo at the ford of the Bruinen rather than Glorfindel. I guess they were paying Liv too much money to be a simple trophy wife.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goes on and on and on, I read all the books until the last one, and about halfway thru it I lost interest and never finished.
I have enjoyed the movies usually in parts at a time.

I wish someone would spend the time and money on some on Robert Howards Cohen flicks as they have Hobbit movies and not that trash made so far.

Last edited by 700LH; 12/08/19.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yeah, I think I like the Silmarilliian best. Oh course I was once called a geek by an English Lit teacher for admitting it.

It irritated me that Jackson had Arwen save Frodo at the ford of the Bruinen rather than Glorfindel. I guess they were paying Liv too much money to be a simple trophy wife.

Why even invent her character anyway? It's not like there was any shortage of interesting characters in the original books............

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain

MM

Gandalf isn’t human, if that’s what you mean. We found that out pretty early.

P

Oh, heck no. Not human. He's been around since nearly the dawn of existence. Not as old as the Elves, perhaps.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I haven't watched it the first time yet.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 700LH
Goes on and on and on, I read all the books until the last one, and about halfway thru it I lost interest and never finished.

The Return of The King (book version) tends to drag at certain points.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Why even invent her character anyway? It's not like there was any shortage of interesting characters in the original books............

Agreed. No need for her. Wish the movies didn't create that character.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Never watched any.

Same, just couldn't get into them.

Haven't watched any, never tried to get into them.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Love the concept, the books and the movies.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Chomping at the bit..

Hardly.. Never seen the first one. LOL.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Love the concept, the books and the movies.

Them taking your money ?

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,533 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,356
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.