Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I'll let the rifle choose between the 180 Paritition, 200 Partition, or the 200 Accubond.

From my understanding of previous posts the H&H action will make a lighter rifle, no?

I don’t know to be honest. I’ve got a 338 Alaskan in a Legend and a 300 rebored into a 375 Improved in the same Legend with the same scope and mounts and the 338 is a hair lighter, but I’m talking ounces. So honestly I don’t know.

And solid copy on the Partitions or Accubond. Those would be my choice as well. I think the 200 Accubond would load the longest, so if throating it for that bullet would make the other two very usable.

Also, another NY’er originally here as well. We used to have a deer camp up near Minerva. Whole darned family is down in Schoharie County now!

Semper Fi
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Just received an e-mail from Justin.

I like that he answers his email on a Sunday!

He says the rifle is doable at under 8 pounds, questions the H&H action;

Quote;

Let’s talk about the H&H (Group VII) action.  Is there a reason you prefer this over the shorter Group VI action used on all the Win Mag cartridges?  The Group VII action suffers from some compromises to accommodate the length of the H&H cartridges which the shorter Group VI action does not have do deal with.  Also, we may have trouble with consistent feeding the shorter .300 Win Mag cartridge from the Group VII action.  Unless there is a compelling reason to go with the Group VII / H&H action, I definitely recommend the shorter Group VI action.

Thoughts?

I say bull f****** s***. I'm a little surprised at his response. Seems like a newbie f****** response to me.

Take it easy buddy grin

I’d bet he builds a few of them and has preferences, but I’d like to hear the reasoning. Heck, Darcy will take a Classic over a P64 as well so there has to be something to it.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Quote;

Let’s talk about the H&H (Group VII) action.  Is there a reason you prefer this over the shorter Group VI action used on all the Win Mag cartridges?  The Group VII action suffers from some compromises to accommodate the length of the H&H cartridges which the shorter Group VI action does not have do deal with.  Also, we may have trouble with consistent feeding the shorter .300 Win Mag cartridge from the Group VII action.  Unless there is a compelling reason to go with the Group VII / H&H action, I definitely recommend the shorter Group VI action.

Thoughts?

I say bull f****** s***. I'm a little surprised at his response. Seems like a newbie f****** response to me.

Why?

You ask why John? Because there's nothing wrong with that H&H receiver it'll feed just f****** fine.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Quote;

Thoughts?

Why?

You ask why John? Because there's nothing wrong with that H&H receiver it'll feed just f****** fine.

Jesus go take your meds.. just an honest question seems to reputable gunsmith looks like he's built plenty of rifles.. I know all gunsmiths have their quirks and preferred actions to build off of..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

Quote;

Thoughts?

Take it easy buddy grin

I’d bet he builds a few of them and has preferences, but I’d like to hear the reasoning. Heck, Darcy will take a Classic over a P64 as well so there has to be something to it.

Watch out you will get ol L train foaming at the mouth with words like that..

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If I were a gambling man, I’d probably bet that the h&h’s are fewer and farther in between, and possibly reserved for the cartridges that actually need them to be used.
I’d think it would be similar to having a 300wm donor converted to a 338wm which I did years ago, if I remember correctly a spacer or something had to be used, to allow the shorter cartridge to feed properly. That was in a classic receiver though, not a pre 64.

It will be interesting to hear the continuation of these communications.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know BSA means well and I am completely sure that any action could be used for a 300 Win. Bob used a 270 Classic action for Simillion to build his Mashburn.

Originally Posted by jkinpa
If I were a gambling man, I’d probably bet that the h&h’s are fewer and farther in between, and possibly reserved for the cartridges that actually need them to be used.
I’d think it would be similar to having a 300wm donor converted to a 338wm which I did years ago, if I remember correctly a spacer or something had to be used, to allow the shorter cartridge to feed properly. That was in a classic receiver though, not a pre 64.

It will be interesting to hear the continuation of these communications.

I’d say you’re probably saying some sorta truth in that. My Mashburn is built off an H&H action but honestly I would’ve gone with whatever Kevin recommended since he has to be the one to service it if it were a pile of crap.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
BSA, any idea on the actual weight difference between the two?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For you guys wanting to shoot a 200gr Accubond our of a lightweight 300WM, especially accurately, you apparently haven’t shot a 200gr bullet out a 300WM. The recoil is fierce guys! Jar your thatch out bad.

Last edited by Sakohunter264; 12/08/19.
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
As bad as driving one out of a .300 RUM at 3200?

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think my rum is pussycat I did the MOA challenge with it earlier this year. 20 rds.. was not that bad. I do not like the 300 win mag period, but the ones I shot have been rugers and everyone says Ruger just has bad stock ergos. I do know where a stainless classic in wood stock is at in a 300 win mag.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, a 300 Win or Wby isn’t too bad if kept around 8-8.5lbs.

The 70 in a RUM was more fun than I liked.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Responded to Justin re the H&H action being lighter, wanting to shoot 200gr AB with a Mag length of 3.600.

Told him I was looking at barreling with a #2 Krieger or similar.

His response;

Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, the H&H action is a bit lighter, and it will permit you to run with your bullets seated higher.  In this case, the Group VII action will be best.  Thee are a few additional things we can do to the receiver to lighten it further, if you are looking to trim all fat from this rifle.  Regardless, with a #2 contour, you’ll have no trouble making the 8 lb goal.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Beretzs, I loaded a dummy round with the 200AB at 3.580 just for the visual.

There's a lot to like there.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 12/08/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Responded to Justin re the H&H action being lighter, wanting to shoot 200gr AB with a Mag length of 3.600.

Told him I was looking at barreling with a #2 Krieger or similar.

His response;

Thanks for the clarification.  Yes, the H&H action is a bit lighter, and it will permit you to run with your bullets seated higher.  In this case, the Group VII action will be best.  Thee are a few additional things we can do to the receiver to lighten it further, if you are looking to trim all fat from this rifle.  Regardless, with a #2 contour, you’ll have no trouble making the 8 lb goal.

He does know you mean 8lb scoped, correct? I know he probably does but it’s always worth mentioning and having the rings, bases and scope weight ready so everyone is working with honest weights.

Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Yes, twice I specifically asked if the weight included the Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 and Talley Lightweights.

Last edited by nyrifleman; 12/08/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Beretzs, I loaded a dummy round with the 200AB at 3.580 just for the visual.

There's a lot to like there.

Yes, doesn’t hurt the eyes at all huh?

Semper Fi
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
FYI. Krieger will not make a #2 stainless. I just don’t get why one doesn’t just go with the slick feeding 300H&H. It’s a very good cartridge that is inherently accurate, maybe more so than the 300wm.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Sako - not looking for stainless. Chrome moly will do.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sako - not looking for stainless. Chrome moly will do.

Not sure if you have a barrel yet or not, but I have a 1-8 twist Krieger 2 contour .308 if you’re looking. I got it for exactly the same thing you’re doing but it’s just sitting.

Overall, your project gets me excited. That’s a fairly awesome blueprint. I am looking forward to hearing about the stocks myself.

If you get a 300 Win throated for a 200 AB or Partition at 3.580 you’d really have something if it finishes under 8.5lbs loaded.

Semper Fi
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 163bc, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,635
Posts18,455,246
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.