Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i don't, read all tolkens books when i was young. watching return of the king now.

That's the best one...watch the elf kick the elephant ass...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Yeah, I think I like the Silmarilliian best. Oh course I was once called a geek by an English Lit teacher for admitting it.

It irritated me that Jackson had Arwen save Frodo at the ford of the Bruinen rather than Glorfindel. I guess they were paying Liv too much money to be a simple trophy wife.

Why even invent her character anyway? It's not like there was any shortage of interesting characters in the original books............

Agreed. No need for her. Wish the movies didn't create that character.
Agreed. Arwen played a very minor part in the books. They figured they needed a love affair I guess. They were wrong.
In the books, Aragorn had the sword remade before he ever left with the fellowship. He accepted who he was all along but was waiting for the right time.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My wife got all enamored with that series on TV that had that midget as a king.

I never watched enough of it to see what it was about. But I'd look up when that good looking blonde woman was flying around on a dragon.

I think it would be cool to have a dragon to fly around on.

Be up about 1000 feet,...look down at the interstate and see a buncha Harleys flying in formation,...

,...swoop down and pull in beside 'em on a dragon.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Loved the books as a kid and really enjoyed the movies. I was a bit perturbed with the liberties they took, especially with the Hobbit. I should read the books again. Yea, I usually end up watching whenever I stumble across one while flipping through the channels.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not untill I watch at least one of them.
Just not my thing.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Was tired 1/2 way through the first movie, but I watched it to the end. Funny thing is I liked it the second time I watched it. ??

It was the same with some other movies, too.

Blazing Saddles
Jeremiah Johnson
American Hustle

others

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read the Lord of the Rings the first time in about 1970, and have essentiallly read it about once a year every year since, including the Hobbit. The Director's cut of the Lord of the Rings was about as true to the book as they every got, but the Hobbit was an absolute farce- taking what they could put in probably two movies and making three out of it with a whole lot of additional characters. That is kind of why I hate hollywood - "we have to have leeway to make the story interesting" as if the book was not interesting enough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Somebody gave me a copy of The Two Towers, I think when I was in 6th grade, circa 1964. Was a bit confusing at first, naturally. Later, when I was grown and working, I bought a nice boxed set (now worth a bundle if in good shape), The Hobbit and The Silmirillian (spelling?). My sons read that nice boxed set almost to pieces; The Hobbit too, but I'd given them a pretty good working over myself. Might have to go Kindle on a set someday and do 'em again; maybe when I get old🙄.

Agree about the choice of Viggo for Strider. Good actor, but hardly the physical type for a Ranger. Don't get me started about the elf chick at the ford. Is nothing sacred?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
I wish someone would spend the time and money on some on Robert Howards Cohen flicks as they have Hobbit movies and not that trash made so far.

Cohen the Barbarian! Crom Shalom! wink

Assuming you meant Conan and not a heretofore unknown bad ass rabbi/pawnbroker I agree there. Read all of the original Howard books back in college, the man was a great wordsmith. Trying to bring the Hyborian age to life to match the mood set by Howard's descriptions is difficult, plus everybody associates Conan with Frazetta's artwork and that's nigh impossible to match with a live action movie. I always thought the style used by 300 Spartans amped up about three levels might work but without something visually unique Hollywood just turns it into another cheesy sword and sandals epic.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
If you haven’t read the simirilian do yourself a huge favor and pick it up. It is Tolkien’s life work, it’s not an easy read, many names and bloodlines covered. I have read it 3 times. You may be surprised who/what Gandalf really is.

MM

My only gripe with the movies is they left out my all time favorite character, Tom Bombadil. The first man, and most likely the last.

Gandalf isn’t human, if that’s what you mean. We found that out pretty early.

P

Oh, heck no. Not human. He's been around since nearly the dawn of existence. Not as old as the Elves, perhaps.

He was around long before the elves

Yes I’m a giant dork for knowing that

Last edited by mitchellmountain; 12/08/19.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I highly recommend majority of you go buy a chainsaw and axe and go do some man chit.. Jesus where is satir st..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So...Arwen or Eowyn?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No. Mostly because I am free to leave the room.

1Minute
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Channel surf right by em.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were not made in the USA and so had no contractual requirement to have a racially balanced cast.
The result was huge profits world wide.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deltakid
I read the Lord of the Rings the first time in about 1970, and have essentiallly read it about once a year every year since, including the Hobbit. The Director's cut of the Lord of the Rings was about as true to the book as they every got, but the Hobbit was an absolute farce- taking what they could put in probably two movies and making three out of it with a whole lot of additional characters. That is kind of why I hate hollywood - "we have to have leeway to make the story interesting" as if the book was not interesting enough.
That way they could get 50% more tickets sold.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i don't, read all tolkens books when i was young. watching return of the king now.

They are worth watching just to see Liv Tyler.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Never watched any.

Neither did I. I was probably too old or thought I was!

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
So...Arwen or Eowyn?

one of the guys who works for me, name is arron, i call him aragay.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never been able to slog through the books. Don’t mind the movies (remember watching them in high school as they came out).

Yup.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,450 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,438
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.