Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
I had a hard time with the movie portrayal of Aragorn. In the books he is a solid, determined, fearless leader. In the movies he is timid and full of self-doubt. My forefathers failed, what if I do as well? In other words, he’s a democrat.

Ruined it for me.

This is true. But in their PC so-called progressive liberal zeal to portray strong women, they allowed this excellent line by the character Eowyn, the logic of which is both elegant and irrefutable. One might even say, its use was a two-edged sword by those wishing to disarm the average citizen:

Aragorn: You have some skill with a blade.

Eowyn: The women of this country learned long ago, those without swords can still die upon them. I fear neither death nor pain.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Zero interest. I just never got into fantasy stories.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I liked them, not as much as the books, but they were good. Most annoying parts for me were the Frodo and Samwise scenes. Sean Astin and whatshisname that played Frodo seemed totally gay for each other. I expected them to start necking in the last one.

Cut out the Frodo and Samwise stuff, and give me more dwarf and elf kicking goblin ass.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
So...Arwen or Eowyn?

Arwen. I have a weakness for big weepy eyes and pouty lips.

I'm a fan. Both the books and the movies.

Favorite character is Legolas. That elf never runs out of arrows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So...Arwen or Eowyn?

As I said earlier, Eowyn.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
What's that, Roger?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by deltakid
I read the Lord of the Rings the first time in about 1970, and have essentiallly read it about once a year every year since, including the Hobbit. The Director's cut of the Lord of the Rings was about as true to the book as they every got, but the Hobbit was an absolute farce- taking what they could put in probably two movies and making three out of it with a whole lot of additional characters. That is kind of why I hate hollywood - "we have to have leeway to make the story interesting" as if the book was not interesting enough.

Have you read The Silmarillion? I read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as a young teenager but haven't read them since. I could probably read them again now because memory fails me for much of the finer details of the story. After reading those books I started The Silmarillion and read a good way through it, but it's not exactly light reading and I never did finish it. After you read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, there's no mistaking it, but The Silmarillion absolutely hammers home the fact that Tolkien had an incredibly intricate and prolific imagination.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Great movies that I enjoy and I like all three. I like The Hobbit series as well. My boys like them a lot as too. Not everyone can watch them because they can’t let go of their hold on reality and just enjoy a movie for what it is. I have a coworker that’s like that. I can’t talk about movies with him because he's a pain in the ass Masshole liberal that just has to critique everything instead of just enjoying schit for what it is. Whatever.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The movies are a lot better if you haven't read the books and don't know how they screwed with the story.
In the books, Arwen was a non-item and Eowyn was a hot shield maiden. They did a good job with her.

I know they had to cut a lot out to keep the movies reasonably long but I missed Bombadill and the cleansing of the shire. They killed off Saruman way too soon.

Meet the real Rosie Cotton, Sarah McLeod. Out of her hobbit costume, she can hold her own with Eowyn, Miranda Otto.

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com][Linked Image from cdn1.thr.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I also liked the Winnie the Poo movies.

So did the kids and grand kids. grin

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just never been a fantasy guy, even as a kid. Dunno. But, to each his own.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH
I wish someone would spend the time and money on some on Robert Howards Cohen flicks as they have Hobbit movies and not that trash made so far.

Cohen the Barbarian! Crom Shalom! wink

Assuming you meant Conan and not a heretofore unknown bad ass rabbi/pawnbroker I agree there. Read all of the original Howard books back in college, the man was a great wordsmith. Trying to bring the Hyborian age to life to match the mood set by Howard's descriptions is difficult, plus everybody associates Conan with Frazetta's artwork and that's nigh impossible to match with a live action movie. I always thought the style used by 300 Spartans amped up about three levels might work but without something visually unique Hollywood just turns it into another cheesy sword and sandals epic.

Color me embarrassed.
I had actually written it right and couldn't recall Robert E. Howards name so googled Conan saw it spelled as Cohen and corrected my correct spelling,,, duh!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Nope. Found the first book boring, dropped it a quarter way thru.

Never saw any reason to pick up the books or watch the movies, tho my kids did. I have seen portions of the movies while they were doing so.

Bilbo Baggins is a neat name tho. Did I get that right?

Last edited by las; 12/09/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never seen one...I did go see Star Wars 1 back in 1977, but somehow missed the rest of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. Ain't never seen them and don't care if I ever do.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i don't, read all tolkens books when i was young. watching return of the king now.

Farking Peter Jackson left out the scouring. Otherwise, the films were pretty darn good.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Clarkm
Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were not made in the USA and so had no contractual requirement to have a racially balanced cast.
The result was huge profits world wide.

Good point.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Never watched any.
Ditto...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Zero interest. I just never got into fantasy stories.

Jeff Cooper believed that the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings were required reading for gun people, and should be read over and over.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I'm a fan. Both the books and the movies.

Favorite character is Legolas. That elf never runs out of arrows.

He runs out in one of The Hobbit movies.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,051
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.