Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lw308
What would me the major factor in a DRT shot besides bullet placement? Medium size game. Speed or energy? Say 25-06 Rem vs a .308 Win?

After bullet placement, volume and type of tissue destroyed would be the biggest factors. Sufficient volume and the right type of tissue can be destroyed by a bullet that penetrates deep and creates a long, cylinder-shape wound, or by a bullet that fragments significantly and creates a relatively shallow, teardrop-shape wound. Depending on the path of the bullet through the body, one may be more effective than the other. In physical terms, momentum is what matters most, assuming sufficient velocity to open the bullet so it can perform as designed.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Lw308
Speed or energy? ..

For those who buy the Roy Weatherby insurance salesmanship hydrostatic shock bS, it would be 'speed'.

he's quoted as saying;

. “dropped every animal where I hit him....they all died instantly.”

can all real world Roy cartridge users make such claim?

The thing is, Roy Weatherby believed his hype. He lived it and breathed it. He was not just a marketing huckster;
he was a true zealot, preaching the gospel of velocity and ultra-modern stock styling. Provided you didn't bad-mouth
his rifles and cartridges, he was also a really nice guy. His son, Ed Weatherby, just said an odd thing to me,
that I was "among the last gunwriters who really knew my dad."

C. Boddington (Guns and Ammo, May 2016.)

Was his quote about every animal he had killed or about animals on 1 particular hunt?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

An arrow kills in a different way than a bullet > > > BOTH require E.

Fundamentally , both are projectiles that cause tissue damage[trauma], so whats different?

Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Was his quote about every animal he had killed or about animals on 1 particular hunt?

Either way, do all the other Roy cartridge users experience what Roy experienced?

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by Trystan
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Assuming you’ve selected a proper tool for the job, bullet construction then impact velocity.

Energy has nothing to do with it and is largely a meaningless measurement.

I subscribe to all of the above except the energy theory.

My opinion is that energy has been incorrectly applied to the killing equation for so many years that apon discovering the falicy it was deemed as useless. Isn't it possible that the foundation that was used to build incorrect energy theories apon was the root of the problem and not energy itself? If you build a perfect house on a crumbling foundation and the house falls down does it now mean the perfect house is now imperfect or does the house just need a proper foundation in which to stand?

"Apon" and "Falicy"? Oh my...you are a MAGNIFICENT Fhuqktard. Hint Congratulations?!?

The only thing you "shoot",is your mouth and Imagination. Hint.

Bless your heart for tRYING though.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

I love you too sugar tits. You speak as if your magnificent whine has meaning. I often wonder if your frantic little typing finger isn't wearing itself thin on people who could care less. Its your finger and your whine do with it as you must 😂😂😂

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
IME what increases the likelihood of killing animals DRT is a broad path of destruction, deep enough to reach and destroy something immediately necessary to life. The broader that path, the more room you have for error, as long as the path reaches far enough into the animal - and how far that is depends on what you are shooting and where (including from what angle) you are going to hit it.

I don't think velocity of itself is the key factor. I've killed any number of game animals DRT with bullets that weren't travelling very fast. The bullet construction is far more important, and it has to perform at velocity at which it will hit.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Given a proper bullet, it's a Volkswagon beetle going 100MPH vice a Semi truck at 60 MPH. Both will be DRT will placement. I have found larger slower rounds cause less meat damage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Given a proper bullet, it's a Volkswagon beetle going 100MPH vice a Semi truck at 60 MPH. Both will be DRT will placement. I have found larger slower rounds cause less meat damage.

Yep, meat damage matters to some of us.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Fundamentally , both are projectiles that cause tissue damage[trauma], so whats different?

A bullet causes Blunt Force Trauma, An arrow slices tissue, capillaries, blood vessels, and Arteries.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Yes, more velocity can ‘help’, all else being equal. JME, but DRT on non-CNS shots seems to often coincide with at least some extra meat damage, and are also more common with bullets that have either some large frontal area OR begin expanding as soon as they enter, and not 1/3-1/2 way through the critter.....probably why tipped stuff, especially monos, seem to work so well, and my 357/357 WFNC bullets and 30-30 HP Barnes seem to drop stuff like they’re moving a lot faster than they are. Just anecdotal over the years. Getting into the physics of it would cause all sorts of bickering around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As game gets progressively larger, I find myself tipping to the energy side.

1Minute
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I like speed, but not in any Weatherby chambering.
I watched enough elk hunter clients show up with their mark v's in the 1980's to sour me on the Weatherby product. One hunter told us his rifle was zero'd from the factory.
It just turned me off of anything Weatherby to this day.
The speed, energy, bullet equation has not been completley proven to me . I still use the mpbr concept, a Nosler partition and shorter , lighter carbine style rifle.
A little birdie hinted something about an ought six or a .270 Jack....kinda stuck with it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hit this doe with a 300 grain TSX from my 416 BEE traveling at a MV of 3150 fps. No vitals left basically and she ran 138 yards before she folded. Pictured is the exit hole. you just never going to know how they react to a hit.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Saw a NVA tank that looked like that deer. DRT.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

A bullet causes Blunt Force Trauma, An arrow slices tissue, capillaries, blood vessels, and Arteries.

Thanks M C H. I've been gone and just got home.

An arrow WILL kill at 500 yds---> IF it's propelled FAST ENUFF ( aka Speed).

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Assuming you’ve selected a proper tool for the job, bullet construction then impact velocity.

Energy has nothing to do with it and is largely a meaningless measurement.

Other factors remaining the same, velocity and energy are essentially interchangeable - if you know one you know the other.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy.

It ain't easy.

A tractor trailer going 2 mph won't kill many deer that it might hit.

Energy out the ass. Too slow.

A 4000+ fps 20gr bullet will kill a deer stone dead. Maybe.

Way fast. Needs more ass.

Given a straight up comparison?

On light game like deer, good bullets.

25-06 will put them down faster with rib shots. Maybe.

So many variables, the question really can't be answered.
Within the most common ranges on deer?
Use either, and about any hunting bullet.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Energy is greatly dependant on velocity (squared), so they are very much related.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

By definition, blunt force trauma is non penetrating. Think baseball bat to the torso as an example. Unless one is using bean bags or rubber bullets ... a bullet very much causes penetrating trauma.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Speed, definitely. Energy has a role, as they're related due to simple physics and equations, but speed impresses critters much more than energy IME, all else being equal.

As far as lung shot DRT vs. runners with identical shot placement, identical bullets, impact velocity, etc., I read a study that basically concluded that if a bullet hits at the top of the heartbeat, arteries get WAY overloaded and rupture, causing instant death, where if the bullet strikes between heartbeats, this does not happen and they'll normally do their 20-50 yard death run. I have no idea if it is true or not, but found it interesting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

By definition, blunt force trauma is non penetrating. Think baseball bat to the torso as an example. Unless one is using bean bags or rubber bullets ... a bullet very much causes penetrating trauma.

You are half right.

"Center-fire rifle bullets also cause blunt trauma by tissue displacement (temporary cavitation). The ability of different tissues to survive this blunt trauma is related primarily to tissue elasticity and cohesiveness."

Hit someone hard enough with a baseball bat in the head and you can get penetration. A bullet is not a sharp object but yes it does indeed penetrate. Once the bullet deforms it is nearly all blunt force trauma. Yes of course the petals can be sharp and create cutting.

I will stand behind my statement. The general difference between a bullet and a broadhead is that the broadhead primarily only cuts wear as the bullet provides blunt force damage and shock.

I also never said anywhere that a bullet does not produce penetrating trauma!

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 12/08/19.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.