Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I have a Remington 700 SA 5R in 260 Rem on its way. The rifle is equipped with a 24 inch 8 twist barrel and HS precision stock.

I want to set it up to use the Hornady 143 eldx and/or 147 eldm.

So what is the quickest way to a longer mag box and what does it take to put it together?

I am finding some parts on Midway and Brownell's but no info on installation requirements.
Thanks for any suggestions.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Are you wanting a Wyatt’s mag box? Or a DBM? Wyatt’s requires milling the rear of the mag opening on the action. DBM would require either opening up the factory BDL bottom metal inlet on the stock and using M5 or similar DBM metal. Or a new stock that’s inlet for the M5 DBM metal.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not know what I want. I do not yet know enough to make a decision.

I have a local smith who could machine the action for the Wyatt's box.

Is there any issue with inletting the HS precision stock to take, for example P T & G bottom metal for a DBM?

Besides P T & G, who else makes a good steel DBM conversion?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I have a Remington 700 SA 5R in 260 Rem on its way. The rifle is equipped with a 24 inch 8 twist barrel and HS precision stock.

I want to set it up to use the Hornady 143 eldx and/or 147 eldm.

So what is the quickest way to a longer mag box and what does it take to put it together?

I am finding some parts on Midway and Brownell's but no info on installation requirements.
Thanks for any suggestions.

You'd save a ton of money and misery if you'd just seat those bullets a tad deeper and go shootin'... FWIW...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The most sensible route would start with determining the required OAL to touch the lands. Then shoot the loads at 2.81" magazine length and 2.92" (provided that doesn't hit the lands), as that's about your max length a binderless AICS mag is going to give you. That'll tell you if there is any accuracy gains there in reducing your jump.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks guys.

I do not particularly care for a wart (DBM) hanging under my rifle. So I think I will prefer the Wyatt's box.

The machinist at the factory is a part time pro gun smith. he can mill the action to accept the mag for a nominal fee.

Redneck, I really appreciate your expert advice.

I already have a Howa in 243, a Ruger in 260, a 700 SA in 6-284, and a model 7 in 7-08, all of which I can get nowhere near the lands with any narrow ogive bullet. Let alone chase the lands. I am hoping to alleviate that issue right out of the gate on this rifle.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wyatt sucks heavy ass and are dog schit fhuqking junk. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I shoot DBM's aboard every chambering and every bullet thus far cited,all of which I'm Smooching. Hint.

I've never seen a binderless mag as short as 2.92". Hint.

OEM 260 freebore is shorter than Kreedmire freebore,which narrows the gap more than most folks know. DBM the works and live a little. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Aside from the wart, what is the least expensive way to get into an AICS?

Gunsmith buddy says he prefers PT&G to AICS. Comments?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PT&G is just one of many DBM Makers. "AICS" is THE mag spec and your buddy assuredly isn't buying Accuracy International DBM's,because they are inherent with their stocks. Hint.

CDI DBM's were a great route,but he passed not too long ago. He'd inlet for free.

I'd trip the POS HS and do a real stock. RHR is still doing Fauxboe's and DBM parcels for $399. A KRG Bravo is only 350 clams,with DBM inherent. Boyd's laminate is painless too.

I prefer M5 Stealth patterns,because they protect mags better and I'm hard on schit,mainly because I fhuqking actually shoot. Hint.

Terrain/M5's...pardon the Puked Bushnell '18x LRHSi that never did fhuqking track. least favorite on bottom(Non-Stealth). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Typical Stealth.

I've most Makes and it really don't make a fhuqk. Decide on a latch that horns you up and roll. I tend to trim latches and often respring 'em,because I'm hard on schit and some releases are poorly designed and are wayyyyyyyy too easy to trip on accident.

1000 Words On DBM's RINK

1000 Words On 223 DBM's RINK

1000 Words On 6BR DBM's RINK

If you can fhuqk that up,I'll be impressed. Hint.

Thank me later.

Just sayin'.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Okay, say I been led to water. But I gotta tread real careful with the clams. I managed to squeeze in 4x12 hrs OT this month which barely covers the rifle, scope, and Timney trigger. So the HS handle has to stay for now.

I am looking at PT&G, and Atlas works bottom metal. Both appear to be aluminum. No issues? Anyone make steel bottom metal?

I watched your vids, thanks for the links. Who manufactures the Stealth bottom/mag in the video?

Google only shows me crap for Savage or from Mag pull.

Thanks

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Never mind, I found the PT&G M5 Stealth bottom. Just an eight week wait for it to be built.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those might be 8 long weeks

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The most idiot proof DBM's are HS Precision.

Some simple inlet work an APA should be your only decision.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I do not particularly care for a wart (DBM) hanging under my rifle.

There is an option to go wartless (at least almost-wartless).

http://www.curtiscustom.com/product/magazines/

I'm running a couple of them and like them. They feed really well with a .308 and 6.5.....a .358 is a little catchy on the feeding but I haven't played with that one enough to speak on it. There is a catch that you need to use a flush fit bottom metal so the stealth style extending below the bottom of the inlet is out which can limit your choices. Of course you can still use higher cap mags but loose the extra protection that Stick mentioned.

A lower cost "almost" flush fit option is the Ruger 3 round mag:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018876322

It sits a little further below the bottom of the stock but not enough to bother me. It will work with the bottom metal on a Seekins Havak I have which the Curtis Custom won't work with. I think the bottom metal on the Havak may be different from Seekins 700 bottom metal as it doesn't have a front barricade stop.

If you're planning on running a 5+ mag then I think the Stealth pattern is a plus. If you want to go flush fit you need to go smooth/non-Stealth.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jeezus Fhuqking Gawwwdd...you DUMB Fhuqks are CLUELESS. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Kiff is a fhuqking snake and NEVER purchase directly. Trim the latch and you are golden. Hint.

RHR ships wayyyyyyyyy faster and with zero fhuqking bullschit. Pick a latch and you are there. Hint.

Now as DBM's go,few can fhuqk them up,better than HS "Precision". They are a schit fhuqking design,weigh a ton(9-ounces with DBM and EMPTY magazine) and have dick nothing COAL "latitude". I'd rather shoot a single shot. Hint. LAUGHING!

HS DBM's to right of frame,though in fairness,I only suffer the pieces of fhuqking schit in 223,308 and Whizzum. Hint.

A fhuqking HS 223 mag,won't acept ANYTHING approaching steel 5rd AM's or Herd Clip MDT COAL's. The HS POS 308's,won't even Smooch a SALAMI 264 Kreedmire 147. They are epic pieces of fhuqking schit and the Whizzum's are the same fhuqking length. The astute will note the huge latitude of the AICS DBM mags cited and of course the binderless AM 5-rounder with miles remaining,for the aforementioned 147 Smooch. Hint.

The Curtis mags are pieces of fhuqking schit and a joke. The Ruger poly mags,have dick nothing COAL "latitude". You gals would do well,to simply take notes and apply same and quit your fhuqking collective Guessing. Hint.

Bless your hearts for trying though and for laughs,feel free to try again.

Hint.

LAUGHING!...............

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kiff is a fhuqking snake

Man you ain't kidding there!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick

The Curtis mags are pieces of fhuqking schit and a joke. The Ruger poly mags,have dick nothing COAL "latitude". You gals would do well,to simply take notes and apply same and quit your fhuqking collective Guessing. Hint.

Hate to hear that. What problem did you have with the Curtis mags?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are tender and unreliable. I don't of anyone who favors them,for anything other than Trade Fodder. Hint. Congratulations?!?

AICS connected all fhuqking dots and to deviate,is a Goat Fhuqk. Simply pass the Stealth M5's and bindered boxes,until if/when binderless is a COAL mandate. Hint.

Just saying.

Thank me later.

Hint................

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

672 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.