A close up...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice picture, Cheesy. Frameworthy.

GB1

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I don't see a fuggin' bird in that picture.

I don't think hardly anybody does,.....but they don't wanna sound stupid,..so they holler out the name of a bird and call it good.

I think it's a fuggin' Shikepoke.

So there.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I wanted to raise and release pheasants when my place was surrounded on 3 sides by CRP until I read articles like this one:

https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Habitat/Pheasant-Facts/Pheasant-Stocking.aspx

pheasant stocking
an ineffective management tool
Stocking of pen-raised birds is not an efficient means to increase wild bird populations, as shown by numerous studies over the past 25 years. Developing and enhancing habitat, on the other hand, has proven to help increase ring-necked numbers.

WHAT IS PHEASANT STOCKING?
By definition, "stocking" is the release of pen-raised pheasants into habitat where wild birds already are present. "Introductions" or "transplants" are different. These refer to the capture and release of wild birds into areas where birds are not generally present, using management that has been studied very thoroughly.

WHAT about stocking young (8-14 WEEKS old) Pheasants?
On average, only 60 percent will survive the initial week of release. After one month, roughly 25 percent will remain. Winter survival has been documented as high as 10 percent but seldom exceeds 5 percent of the released birds.

with HIGH MOrTALITY RATES, SHOULDN'T WE CLOSE THE SEASON?
For the most part, hunting has little to do with poor survival. Predators take the real toll on pen-raised pheasants, accounting for more than 90 percent of all deaths. The reason being pen-raised birds never had a chance to learn predator avoidance behavior. Starvation can also be a problem. Some newly-released pheasants take up to three weeks to develop optimal foraging patterns essential to survival in the wild.

WHY NOT WAIT UNTIL SPRING TO RELEASE BREEDER HENS?
Mortality is still very high—roughly 40 to 70 percent of the hens will perish before attempting to nest. Also, high mortality rates continue even after nests are initiated or eggs successfully hatched, resulting in dismally low production. The average production of spring-released hens ranges from 5 to 40 chicks per 100 hens released. Thus, released hens are not productive enough to replace their own losses.

CAN'T SURVIVIAL RATES BE DIFFERENT FOR SOME AREAS?
There often will be a few that make it, but studies have shown they are unable to maintain a population. This is why local stocking programs continue year after year. Ultimately we must ask ourselves why there is a need to repeat stocking efforts on an annual basis if survival is as high as often claimed.

isn't minimal survival better than none at all?
Not necessarily. We're concerned about a self-sustaining population that we won't have to continually supplement with pen-raised birds. In order to remain at a constant level, wild pheasant populations must have a production rate of roughly four chicks (surviving to 10 weeks) per hen. With production rates of less than one chick per hen, a population would decline rapidly.

stocking worked initially, why wouldn't it work now?

When pheasants were first transplanted (different than stocking) and introduced to the U.S., the landscape was far different from the one we have today. Farming techniques were primitive, field sizes smaller and crops more diversified. These habitat conditions created a situation ideally suited for the introduction of a farmland species like the ring-necked pheasant.
Is there harm in releasing birds?

Though not proven, there is cause for concern. Genetic dilution may be occurring. Even with minimal survival, the release of thousands of pen-raised birds over many years may be diminishing the "wildness" of the wild stock. Another concern is that, by releasing hundreds of birds in a given area, predators may start keying on pheasants. This may result in wild birds incurring higher predation. Finally, there is the potential of disease transmission from released birds to the wild flock.
What if I just want to put a few more birds in the bag?
Simple enough. Release the birds as close to the time you want to hunt as possible. To do otherwise is a waste of money. Pen-raised birds do provide shooting opportunities and a chance to keep your dog in shape. Just keep in mind that these birds are not going to produce a wild self-sustaining population in your area.

Is there hope for areas with LOw pheasant populations?
Yes. Start by understanding pheasant habitat needs. What kinds of areas do pheasants nest in? What are optimal covers in which they survive harsh winters? How can these areas be created and preserved? The answers can be learned from your local wildlife professionals. Consider becoming a member of Pheasants Forever. Informative and educational articles on these and other subjects are part of every Pheasants Forever Journal of Upland Conservation. If you are serious about improving local habitat conditions, consider joining or forming a local chapter. OP

With improved habitat, where will pheasants come from?
Because of their high productivity, wild pheasants in the area can quickly populate newly-created habitats. In unpopulated areas of suitable habitat, transplanting wild birds or their offspring (F1 generation) appears to be the best solution. The first step should be an investigation of factors that have limited pheasant populations in the past—for example a lack of winter habitat or increased pesticide use.

can we realistically rebuild wild pheasant numbers?
Yes. During the past 50 years there has been a colossal amount of money spent on supplemental stocking programs by state and local governments, sportsmen's groups, and private individuals. If these dollars would have been invested in habitat restoration, hundreds of species of wildlife in addition to pheasants would have been benefited.

Here's the bottom line: When habitat conditions improve, wild pheasant populations will increase in response to that habitat.

Do improved habitat conditions include decreased numbers of predators? whistle

Not sure but around here the DNR cuts down all the tree's in the wildlife mgmt. areas so the raptors have no place to sit. Kinda sucks for deer hunting.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I still wonder what those MFFs are. (Medium Fat Fuggers). In Montana, early November, one large group, about 100 woke me up at home on the roof and a couple Russian Olive and an Aspen tree taking a rest break.... The other smaller group pictured on the pavement a few days later.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I still wonder what those MFFs are. (Medium Fat Fuggers). In Montana, early November, one large group, about 100 woke me up at home on the roof and a couple Russian Olive and an Aspen tree taking a rest break.... The other smaller group pictured on the pavement a few days later.

Wish that picture was clearer. Hard to tell exactly. I'll think on it tonight and maybe glance at a couple of books. Maybe Birdwatcher might have a clue...........although I think Mike missed on the pheasant a bit. Time for HOCKEY!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

They look like cowbirds.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Aces, possible, but the one in the foreground has too long a bill

Maybe a juvenile/female robin. Big flock migrating through Boomer's area?

[Linked Image from allaboutbirds.org]

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I love pheasant on the plate. I would pen raise and butcher some here, but for those durn brown bear, who think my yard is their yard.

Last edited by las; 12/08/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a swallow...or maybe a coconut...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I don't know what you fellas are drinking, but you might consider cutting that with some rain water. No way in H3LL that's a rooster pheasant. Looks like a female Robin or Wood Thrush or the like

Last edited by longarm; 12/09/19.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

They look like cowbirds.

The perils of photo ID: reconciling a momentary image of a bird with one you know, in that moment the apparent shape of the bird can be anything, fieldmarks become all-important.

Certainly blackbirds, possibly mixed flock.

Likely candidates: common grackle, Brewer’s blackbird, brown-headed cowbirds. All female (brown) flock.

Front ones with longer bills/tails I’m gonna go with common grackle, the rest Brewer’s blackbirds.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
[quote=MtnBoomer]Here's a California Condor:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If that’s in North America it’s certainly a golden-crowned kinglet, otherwise IIRC there’s a close relative in Eurasia called a goldcrest.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Is this a dogbird or a birddog?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Actually not that hard; plain greenish short-winged bird with prominent wingbars, large headed.

First guess I’m gonna go with Acadian flycatcher tho the legs/feet look a little big for this sit-on-a-perch species, second guess white-eyed vireo.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Last night I had a pic of a coon, a rabbit and a wildcat.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That one of them cat birds?

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm
I don't know what you fellas are drinking, but you might consider cutting that with some rain water. No way in H3LL that's a rooster pheasant. Looks like a female Robin or Wood Thrush or the like

When I first saw this post yesterday, I saw a rooster pheasant in about 1/100 of a second. Keying In on the white ring of the neck immediately. Trained eye from scanning road ditches wink. Looks just like a pheasant quartering away from the camera.

Now that I’ve looked again, I’m questioning if the white ring in the neck isn’t actually some grass or stick on the ground. And wondering if what I see as a black head above the white ring is something on the ground.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have been converted to the NOT a ringneck pheasant group. Wayy too small. Go ahead, let the ridicule roll.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I have been converted to the NOT a ringneck pheasant group. Wayy too small. Go ahead, let the ridicule roll.

I picked it out by seeing the white neck ring. Mallard. wink

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by AcesNeights

They look like cowbirds.

The perils of photo ID: reconciling a momentary image of a bird with one you know, in that moment the apparent shape of the bird can be anything, fieldmarks become all-important.

Certainly blackbirds, possibly mixed flock.

Likely candidates: common grackle, Brewer’s blackbird, brown-headed cowbirds. All female (brown) flock.

Front ones with longer bills/tails I’m gonna go with common grackle, the rest Brewer’s blackbirds.

Yah, mixed,,thinking CG and BHCBs. The CG is new to me, did not think BB as they are common to me. But, I will look over my other pics and think mixed what ifs.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it ain’t in fact a pheasant-sized bird, pretty much a slam dunk to be a hermit thrush, all the rest are down in the Tropics this time of year. Hermits are common in winter all across the South. We get a bunch around here, once in a while they sing right before they head north in the spring.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,326
Posts18,468,495
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.