Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
He should get a consult from all the best lawyers, pronto. That way she can’t hire any of them, a la The Sopranos.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Set all the emotions aside, his and ignore hers. She is now the other side of a business settlement. Just like any deal, he should make his deal to best suit him.

By the way, indifference makes a woman insane, let it, he might be able to use it to his advantage.

Last edited by Armednfree; 12/08/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Terrible situation 😕

I will say getting clear of a woman gone bad is a huge relief, whatever the material cost. $hit happens, take the hit, and m

The woman can indeed claim a percentage of his retirement, but it might help to know that the guy can also claim a similar percentage of hers. I dunno how large social security benefits will be but after ten years of marriage the total of both parties is split down the middle.

Getting her to take the house in lieu of a percentage of retirement seems a good suggestion.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hope we don’t see your brother on a Date Line show in a couple of years.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by blindshooter
If there are credit lines with joint access get them locked up quick. #2 got me for 100k over night and filed bankruptcy later. Guess who was left holding the bag.
Every dollar spent on a good lawyer is well spent.

This
Seen it happen several times. Cancel joint credit cards. Pull all cash out of banks and then close the account. Plan on her trying to spend every penny you own before the split, and fix it before it happens. Remove his must have items from the house and store them elsewhere.

Last edited by TheSOB; 12/08/19.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Has he considered toasting his bread on the ledge around the tub while she bathes?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good legal representation and another girl or even better girls to help chase the blues away...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
As far as property settlement/division in a no fault divorce state...prepare for war. I was working in Prudhoe Bay and tried to conduct a California, "divorce-by-mail". A total financial disaster, which was mostly my stupidity for hiring a lawyer friend unversed in divorce. The basic fault was her lawyer attacked the assets IN SEQUENCE. She first attacked my cash savings of 68,000, step two was to attack the home deed which I had paid in full the year before, which wiped out the remaining 34,000 of savings and 10,000 more I had to borrow to cash her out of the home. Not counting little things like cars and household items, I figure she walked away with 75%. So beware the cheap lawyer.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My brother is a real good divorce attorney. His favorite saying is...”Do you know why divorce is so crazy expensive? Because it’s worth it!!”

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by rufous
Sadly it looks like my brother's marriage is headed for divorce. I say sad because he and I (and supposedly his wife) are Christians and we know that God hates divorce. In my humanness though I sure feel he will be better off without her (emotionally anyway). Financially is another matter. Which is why I am looking for advice on his behalf.

They live in Washington State and he said that it is a no fault divorce state. As such, apparently she will take half of the assets regardless of the circumstances.

As we all know there are 2 sides to the story but overall this one seems quite one sided.

She has not worked for years, claiming that she has chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia and who knows what else. I believe she might be getting disability benefits but I am not sure about that.

Basically she sleeps all night and most of the day and contributes very little to the running of the house. My brother has tried to honor his wedding vows (in sickness and health etc) and take care of her but she has basically sucked the life out of him. The big blow up this week that caused him to vacate the house was that she essentially decided for them that her drunken bum of a son from a previous marriage was going to stay with them and that my brother had nothing to say about it. This son has stayed with them off and on with my brother biting his tongue and trying to be a loving and supportive husband but he had words with the disrespectful piece of crap and hurt the poor boys feelings. Among other issues the son decided (with the wife's urging) to start parking his car in the garage and my brother could just park his car in the driveway. Sadly my brother has allowed his wife to run roughshod over him for years and now it looks like she has decided (despite him bending over backwards to do right by her for years) that her drunken bum of a son (who is a grown man) is more important to her than the marriage is.

Clearly with that being the case my brother is better off without her but is there any way for him to not lose half of all he has worked for with her contributing basically nothing?

He has worked for the federal government for about 28 years and has a good retirement account and pension and also has the house paid off.

Just wondering if there are any lawyers here or other folks from WA State that have any legal type advice for him. Thanks much!

There’s no marriage there left to save, and hasn’t been for a long time.

The below is opinion, and not given as legal advice.

Her actions prove she has zero respect or love for her husband, and that mental state doesn’t just happen overnight. I’d be willing to bet from your posting they haven’t had sex in over a year, which would allow him to use as a case of her abandoning him for the basis of a divorce in some states.

There’s no telling what kind of damage that “drunk” could cause in the house while your brother is not there to keep him in check, and protect his assets and the value of the house. The drunk has no legal contract (lease), and is trespassing the moment your brother says he is not welcome. He’s not a minor with the wife having custody. Depending on how long he’s been there this time, might weigh on whether the law allows you to kick him to the street immediately without going through a formal eviction process. Depends on what state law is on establishing residency.

Tell your brother to call the Sheriff’s Dept. “tomorrow” to see if he can have a unit meet him at his house to remove him, and all his belongings from the premises. He’ll find out pronto, from them, whether he can or if he has to file eviction papers since he’s now living there. MAKE THIS HAPPEN TOMORROW, because it could be the last day he could make this easy for him, and save time from going through eviction (30-90 days). A set number of days establishes legal residency.

You don’t want him in that house, so he could be a witness that will lie on her behalf in a divorce case. It’s HIS house. Kick that worthless trash out. He deserves that satisfaction for what she is forcing him to do, and to get back at the punk for disrespecting him in his own house and pushing him out. Have your brother get a restraining order against him, based on violence / threats, so he can not be near your brother or the house, again, to protect from being a potential lying witness of what he heard / visualized.

Conduct a quick look through the house while the Sheriff’s unit is there to see if any valuables are missing, he might have stolen, before they watch him drive away.

The lawyer can advise on whether your brother should move back in or not, but watch how that applies to her using / establishing abandonment against him if he doesn’t move back in.

Destroy any current Will with her, and make new one, NOW. Change all beneficiaries on retirement accounts and life insurance policies immediately. You’ve already been told about CC and bank accts.

If she sleeps 75% of the time, she has high percentage of getting life threatening diseases. He could just move back in, and wait her out, but at what suffering to him, enjoyment of life?

Tell your brother to ask the lawyer about the above when he talks to him TOMORROW morning.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

IC B3

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

624 members (01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,255
Posts18,448,109
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.