Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Survey just for giggles and such.

What angle do you prefer for a flat ground cutting edge bevel????
----Not for convex or concave final bevel or for the primary bevel.

First note blade thickness, width, length, steel type and Rc????

Then cutting edge angle you prefer and for what primary use????

How long do you expect the edge to hold up before strop and before resharpen????

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
For meat cutting, ie not wood/cardboard/rope/wire etc, I like RC 60 or better, 15 degrees and tough steel.

No preference on blade thickness for the most part, but what I use some blades for requires a little more thickness or a softer blade.

I don't know as I can say how long I expect to go between sharpenings. I guess that if I needed a resharpening with a stone after one deer for the knife that gutted skinned and broke down the carcass, that wouldn't be enough, but I have had some deer that were covered in mud that were awful hard on a blade. I took a 6 inch Japanese VG-10 blade RC, 61-62, had it ground to common boning knife shape and when It comes to shaving off muddy meat, that blade does it exceptionally well and stays sharper than any other I own, but that seems to me to be more an accidental function of design than anything else.

I also use my knives well and take care of them to a degree. I wash them myself and none have ever been in a dishwasher.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, I just resharpened a couple knives from 21 degrees to 18 degrees.
Hopefully I will get to use them end of the week. Deer season opens the 15th

Both are from the CPM M4 3rd run.
One is the Gentleman Hunter model.
One is a one-off short 1 1/2" wide blade skinner

I have several requests now to drop to a 17-15 degree sharpen bevel.
I have never gone that low, so going to see how I like 18 degrees.

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tim,

Thanks for doing this. Good luck in your deer hunt. Looking forward to your report.

bludog

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Thick blades = 2 edges or a bevel

Thinner blades = 15 degrees, 16 or 17 on smaller really thin knives for skull areas

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
20° works for me on thicker steel. I don’t buy many really thin blades, but there I want a bit less. 18° is fine.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
MRK,

Which stones/tapes do you use on your edge pro?

Jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve never really checked the angles of knives I’ve had made.

I like thin. .090 or so.

With deer, i debone hanging. No brisket splitting.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
j_elky
Starting with a new, never sharpened blade with .015-.020" width cutting edge I carefully
take some of the material with a fresh 120 grit belt on small belt sander.
Then I get the angle set and rolling a burr with 120 griton Edge Pro.
Then 220 grit and finish with 600 grit.
Then to a leather strop impregnated with Semi Chrome.

If you want to go with a finer grit to finish you can, but not sure why you would need a blade
any sharper than what the above procedure gives me.

I have not shot anything yet to use the knives I did at 18 degrees yet, but they sure work around the house.

Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Tim.....appreciate it.

By the way...that loveless style blade you did for longarm is Fantastic!!

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
On a couple old Case skinner type knives we use 20 on our lanskys. They are marked 223-5.

On a model 7-4 Randall it’s been sharpened at 20 also and did a good job gutting.

On a factory sharpened 3-5 Randall, it gutted four deer so far this season and doesn’t seem to have lost its edge yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Thick blades = 2 edges or a bevel

Thick blades as above but hunting with thin stock this season.

Knives this season are at 17.6 - had to measure it. The edge doesn't seem to hold up as long but is still plenty sharp after a completed deer - field dressed through boned out. I do know if I'm rough and in a hurry I can knock the edge off boning out a deer. Maybe that is the real reason I see an edge durability difference. Sure zips through hide without resistance when she first comes out. Since I always have two blades durability isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited by Boise; 12/02/19. Reason: adds

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[quote=michiganroadki

I have several requests now to drop to a 17-15 degree sharpen bevel.
I have never gone that low, so going to see how I like 18 degrees.

Tim[/quote]

Been playing with several old Gerbers made of M2 steel and a 15 degree bevel works well as long as you stay away from bone. These are very thin blades. Like you said about the M4 I think the M2 likes a toothy edge. Been trying different things but think polishing them and then back dragging on 1000 grit paper or stone is working well followed by a minimal amount of stropping. I am liking the 1 micron diamond powder on the rough side of the strop and 0.5 or 0.25 micron on the smooth side.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Geometry cuts.

Steel
Heat Treat
Finish
Yada yada yada
Determines how long.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Geometry cuts.

Steel
Heat Treat
Finish
Yada yada yada
Determines how long.

I would agree with this. Based on the toughness and edge retention M4 is purported to have at the higher HT Tim is using, it would seem that anything in the 15-21 degree per side range would make a heckuva knife for use on deer and other game. With an edge that is resistant to chipping and lasts for more than one deer. That's what I'm hoping for in Tim's latest M4 batch.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 13 invisible), 1,189 guests, and 792 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,234
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.