Hop To
#14355017 12/09/19
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I ask this question in this forum as there are maybe the greatest number of people viewing it who may have a similar concern and can provide insight.

In going through my homeowners insurance policy, the limit for specific items like guns, jewelry, art and furs is capped at $10,000 ( with no single item allowed at greater than $5000)

I do not have a large collection of firearms, but I am sure that replacement value exceeds 10K given the few relatively nice guns I own.

Do those of you that have addressed this same problem add them to your homeowners policy or have some separate insurance?

Just looking for suggestions/recomendations.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a "rider" to my renter's insurance which will cover replacement of firearms. Not everything is covered. Enough is covered that I could start over with a select subset that would allow me to hunt and defend myself. That's really what I care most about. I'm not in the "collector" group, not investing in guns for my retirement or anything of that sort.

You mentioned jewelry, art, guns ... if you have valuable musical instruments, you should also consider insuring them. Most policies have some default limit you might need a rider to exceed. For instance, a decent cello may go over $10K.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L

I've used Eastern for at least five or six years after switching over from Collectibles. Pleasant people to deal with and their rates may be the best.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a good safe. At any given time the amount of jewelry or firearms out of the safe doesn't exceed my insurance limit. We do have riders on some of Mrs Blacktailer's jewelry just to be safe.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I did this. Cant beat the deal for the peace of mind.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shopped around a few year ago and have used Cor-Vens ever since.

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I appreciate the replies. It appears that most add a separate policy rather than pay the uncharge for a rider on their home insurance? Any other recommendations in terms of companies or plans are welcome.

As far as safes go- it has been my concern, living rurally and being far from immediate fire and rescue response, that any fire in my home would likely result in a complete loss whether I had a safe or not.

Thank you

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I shopped around a few year ago and have used Cor-Vens ever since.

I was all set to sign up with them, but after comparing with Eastern, Eastern was cheaper, and had lower deductibles.

They do require an in home safe, but you get a 5% discount for being a NRA member. You don't give them any serial numbers, just the number of items and total value. You're covered at home and away, and can add your binos, spotting scope, cameras, etc. The does have to be proof of a break in, so you can't leave your truck unlocked while you run in the house to take a dump, with a gun in the front seat, and be covered if someone snags it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good info, I will check them out. Thanks

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tag

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

As far as safes go- it has been my concern, living rurally and being far from immediate fire and rescue response, that any fire in my home would likely result in a complete loss whether I had a safe or not.

No safe, no monitored alarm system and far from police or fire. They are going to jack your premiums so high it’s going to scare you. Those 3 things right there put you in a very high risk category especially insuring firearms.

Swifty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Looking in to this also. What is the best bang for the buck both as far as protection and to reduce premiums? I was thinking about metal sheathing on the interior of the gun room or at least around the safe. But I think even a single sprinkler might be more effective.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Best bang for the buck is tough. How to reduce premiums is easier, What have you done to mitigate their risk?
A safe as we all know is slim protection in a bad fire, so why the safe? Theft.
Although with enough time they can be defeated. So you have to cut their time down. How, reduce hidden/obscured entrance points. Crooks don’t like being visible. I put solar powered motion lights so if anyone comes in the yard at night a light somewhere will come on illuminating the area(even with the power out).
Monitored alarm for heat/smoke, water leaks and intrusion. If they come in a window motion detectors will get them. Jimmy the door, got ya there too. Have a 150 dB siren inside and outside which will pizz the neighbors off till cleared, but someone would be stupid to stick around after the 15 seconds delay sets em off. So check intrusion off.
Fire hydrant within 100 ft, fire house 2 blocks away. As above heat/smoke and water leak detectors which are monitored even when the alarm isn’t armed.
Sprinkler systems due to cost and upkeep is quite spendy. 1 head wouldn’t justify the cost of installation, annual inspections, testing and monitoring. Constant water pressure is a must as all sprinkler systems have a flow switch alarm and a low pressure alarm. Downside is that you physically have to shut the water off at the main to stop a leaky head or one that has popped especially if your flow switch isn’t monitored . So excess water damage is a big consideration.
Have I stopped a determined thief or a fire? No, but I have reduced my risk and the insurance company’s risk a lot and that risk is what will determine your cost.

Swifty
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Swifty thanks. Still considering the DIY fire protection but I am not a fan of the monitoring systems. The sprinkler sounds like more minuses than pluses even though the actuarial tables list fire over theft as more likely. One thing is I have neighbors that are around most of the time and at odd hours.

My new safe has a 45 minute 1200 degree rating and I am still tempted to add metal and cement board around it to increase fire resistance. It is behind two locked doors but unfortunately in my garage/shop so many tools available that could defeat it in less than 15 minutes. The most likely scenario is a snatch and grab so I should be OK for anything but a concerted effort.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad this came up,I really hadn't given it much thought until now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

117 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 18 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.