Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have recently done some consolidating/condensing with my herd. Too many guns sat in the safe bored from non-use. I felt bad for them, so I set them free. As of right now I have several 223 semi-autos, a 223 ultralight bolt gun and a 257 Roberts Ruger Ultralight. I am going to get a heavy barrel 223 to cover my target needs. The Ruger 257 is my woods or stand rifle. I want to treat myself to a really nice higher end factory/semi custom rifle. I'll give you a list of criteria.

* I am not looking for a lightweight rifle. Something in the 7-7.5 bare weight would be close to ideal. I could go either side of that though.
* I want a US made rifle that is not a Ruger
* Flush magazine. No goiters.
* Not a 6.5 Creedmoor. I am well aware of their virtues, I just can't warm up to the chambering.
* Because of a bum shoulder, something milder recoiling. Think of something in the 257 Roberts-6.5 PRC range, maybe a 257 WBY.
* Probably in the $1000-$1500 price range.

Contenders at this point.

MRC X3
Nosler M-48
Christensen Arms Mesa

The Mesa in 6.5 PRC is in the lead. I have read reviews, and it is getting almost universal praise. With the factory brake, recoil is said to be minimal. I am thinking shoot off the bench with the brake and hunt with the thread protector provided POI is consistent. I like the looks and lines of the rifle. The weight is just right as well.

The MRC in 257 Roberts makes some sense as well. I already have dies, brass and bullets and have a decided soft spot for the chambering. I done kilt more deers with it than all others combined.

Anything else out there. Anyone want to talk me into or out of anything.

I want to reiterate that the almighty 6.5 Creedlord is OFF the table.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not mine and no affiliation, but someone has a Nosler Professional model in 257 Bob in the classifieds that seems to fit what you’re looking for. Not sure if you’ve seen it or not, or are interested in a used rifle.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interesting "reasoning" there. grin

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cooper? Doesn't Japan build the actions for Nosler?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman

He needs to stick to Huffy's and Schwinn's.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
That wasn't even on my radar.

I was just poking fun about how people rationalize preferences. I'm guilty too. One of my favorite rifles is a 700 Classic in 300 Savage. It won't do anything a 308 can't, and there's no Lapua brass for it yadda yadda. Still I love it just like it is.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

If I had further detailed my "reasoning" y'all would have wanted to have me committed. Is that not the essence of loonyism?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I'll throw some gas on the loonyism campfire. Pick up a cheap donor, barrel it in the caliber you want and have it custom stocked for you. Depending on how close the donor is to your intended and how wild you care to go on the stock, you could do that for $1500 bucks and have something that is "yours".

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitions of "high end" and "factory" are obviously subjective. 1000-1500 is in my view not anywhere near "high end"...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
There is or was a perfect rifle in the classifieds . $1275 or so? I don’t recall the exact model. I’ll go look.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig
Not mine and no affiliation, but someone has a Nosler Professional model in 257 Bob in the classifieds that seems to fit what you’re looking for. Not sure if you’ve seen it or not, or are interested in a used rifle.

This is the one I was referring to

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
One of my favorite rifles is a 700 Classic in 300 Savage. It won't do anything a 308 can't, and there's no Lapua brass for it yadda yadda. Still I love it just like it is.

That's a great rifle, my daughter loves her .300 Savage Classic.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
What you listed are all synthetic rifles. Is that intentional? Wood can have a lot more appeal, and be quite durable too. Just food for thought.

Perhaps something with a stock like this shaped to fit you? Could be with whatever action and barrel floats your boat. Might break your price point though.

[Linked Image from aigunstocks.com]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Definitions of "high end" and "factory" are obviously subjective. 1000-1500 is in my view not anywhere near "high end"...

Yeah, That's why I used the word "higher." So it's not down there there in the Tikka, Savage Axis category. Not in the mid grade Winchester M70, Ruger 77, Remington 700 class. Something on the higher side of mid grade for factory rifles or as some say "semi-custom." But we both know that's a misnomer as well. If nothing else, the $1000-$1500 should have been enough to help thinking people understand what I was looking for. But there are those who always need to ring in with something other than a constructive comment right?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

This is the one I was referring to

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...257-bob-nosler-professional#Post14346549

That is a very nice rifle. The guy has good taste in granite, flooring, and appliances too. I had to do a double check to make sure it wasn't my house. His fruit basket is nicer. Here's mine.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

* I am not looking for a lightweight rifle. Something in the 7-7.5 bare weight would be close to ideal. I could go either side of that though.
* I want a US made rifle that is not a Ruger
* Flush magazine. No goiters.
* Not a 6.5 Creedmoor. I am well aware of their virtues, I just can't warm up to the chambering.
* Because of a bum shoulder, something milder recoiling. Think of something in the 257 Roberts-6.5 PRC range, maybe a 257 WBY.
* Probably in the $1000-$1500 price range.

Contenders at this point.

MRC X3
Nosler M-48
Christensen Arms Mesa

MRC X3 I would say NO

Nosler M-48 I would say NO

Christensen Arms Mesa Maybe

I would pick a 6mm Creedmoor, Dasher, BR, Something or other

I would try to piece together parts and have Shaen build it up but that would be out of the $1500 range

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've done full blown customs a couple of times. Today I fired for the first time my most recent purchase, a CA Mesa (won't mention the caliber as I fear you might reach through my monitor and choke me...).

As set up ready to shoot it weighs a bit over 7 3/4 lb. After zeroing, the next 4 factory rounds produced a tight clover leaf shooting from a front pedestal and rear bag. Not too shabby.

Yea, consider the CA Mesa.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Puddle
I've done full blown customs a couple of times. Today I fired for the first time my most recent purchase, a CA Mesa (won't mention the caliber as I fear you might reach through my monitor and choke me...).

As set up ready to shoot it weighs a bit over 7 3/4 lb. After zeroing, the next 4 factory rounds produced a tight clover leaf shooting from a front pedestal and rear bag. Not too shabby.

Yea, consider the CA Mesa.

Thanks for the feedback and the comedy! I am liking the concept of a removable brake. My shoulder will really appreciate having it during load development on the bench. My ears will appreciate not having it afield.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 12/09/19.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How bout a 6.5x47 Lapua? Not sure if you've considered Cooper rifles, who could do one of those for you. Might be higher price range than you want. I really like the Kimber Montanas, mine is a 280AI.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

97 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 8 invisible), 1,533 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.