Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
16 yesterday. 1 was a small Buck, 9 were Does for sure..

6 Does today.

Does got hit hard today.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike
I shot a "Doe" today or at least I thought I did. Turned out to be a buck that had already shed both antlers!
I did the same on Dec. 9 one year. That was one unlucky buck. The pedicles on his head were still bloody. Hadn't even begun to scab over yet. Must have just lost them shortly before I plugged him.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I shot a "Doe" today or at least I thought I did. Turned out to be a buck that had already shed both antlers!
I did the same on Dec. 9 one year. That was one unlucky buck. The pedicles on his head were still bloody. Hadn't even begun to scab over yet. Must have just lost them shortly before I plugged him.

I've heard of other people it happened to but this was a first for me.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Saturday morning Got off work at 7am, dressed and hiking to where I wanted to be at 730. Still hunted my way there and gag a big doe down by 8am. Gutted, drug back to the truck, skinned and hung in the cooler by 10am, bed by 1030. Couldn’t have worked out any better. Don’t know if I’ll get out again til Wednesday, but it’s game on til the end of the week as of 7am Wednesday morning!

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Saw 8 or 9 does on Saturday but no shot that I was comfortable with. They were hauling butt across an open field with a screen of trees between us, then into some woods, across another open field but again with a screen of trees. I thought for sure they would stop or at least slow when they hit the wooded hillside (like they usually do) but whatever spooked them had them in 'Get out of the County' mode. The last I saw of them was tails going over the ridgeline where I shot my buck last Saturday.

Very quiet in my area, I didn't hear a shot until 8 AM and bet I only heard 2 dozen all day.

Oh well, I've got Friday and part of Saturday yet plus the late flintlock season.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
5 friends of mine went down to Pa. yesterday. Hunted someplace near Sayre and came back with 4 buck in 5 hours. Two 8 points and two 9 points. The 9 points were both real good bucks.

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
On opening Saturday, my 12 year old son killed his first buck. At barely first light we heard this deer slowly walking. The boy saw him before I did. In fact, I never got a good look at him. "Dad, its got antlers!" The buck came into an opening in the brush, and my son was ready. He hit the heart. The buck sprinted about 20 yards and went down.
After we unbuckled ourselves from the two man ladder stand and climbed down, we were stunned at how big he was. The boy didn't pay any attention to the antlers, other than it had them, until after he was down.

[Linked Image]

This has been a great season for us. Both the 12 year old above and my 10 year old son got does in the early youth season, the 10 year old's first deer. The second Saturday of Rifle season, both my 17 year old daughter and my self got does, her first deer.

Jason
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by bja105
On opening Saturday, my 12 year old son killed his first buck. At barely first light we heard this deer slowly walking. The boy saw him before I did. In fact, I never got a good look at him. "Dad, its got antlers!" The buck came into an opening in the brush, and my son was ready. He hit the heart. The buck sprinted about 20 yards and went down.
After we unbuckled ourselves from the two man ladder stand and climbed down, we were stunned at how big he was. The boy didn't pay any attention to the antlers, other than it had them, until after he was down.

[Linked Image]

This has been a great season for us. Both the 12 year old above and my 10 year old son got does in the early youth season, the 10 year old's first deer. The second Saturday of Rifle season, both my 17 year old daughter and my self got does, her first deer.

Well done, the smile says it all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Dude that’s just fantastic man congratulations to both of you what a great buck!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Most excellent all around. Yes you have had a fantastic season.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hunted in the rain today. Saw 4 Does. Bud came home with one of them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5 friends of mine went down to Pa. yesterday. Hunted someplace near Sayre and came back with 4 buck in 5 hours. Two 8 points and two 9 points. The 9 points were both real good bucks.

Sounds like they had hunted there before and knew what was up.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bja105

[Linked Image]

outstanding season for your family! Congratulations!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Sounds like they had hunted there before and knew what was up.

I’ve hunted more than one place that I knew what was up. Doing it now and know there are probably 5 good Bucks still there. Two for sure. Bounced the best of the bunch once, yet they are all still there.

Maybe I don’t know what is up. 😀

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Great buck bja105! Congrats to the boy.

I hunted past Fri, didn’t see anything in my morning and evening sits. Mid-day we hit the game lands and bounced a couple, never saw them but tracks said doe and yearling.

Saturday we drove some scattered farm lots like we always do. Our youngest hunter killed a 6-pt (4x2) on the first drive. We got some 3 doe after that. I Got one of them, though wished it had a bit more meat. It was by itself and standing in some brush. I saw no antlers and picked a window to shoot through. A little ground shrinkage as I walked up to it.

Jumped two other bucks, one was pretty good but he got out of there before we were even in the woods. Other one ended up getting killed by hunters on neighboring property, no lie close to 20 shots fired by the time it was done, was a real cluster. Last drive I found a dandy 10-pt (3.5-4.5 yr old) dead and not recovered.

Overall deer numbers seem a bit down compared to previous years, going to have to lay off the doe and hope the neighbors do the same. At 40, the deer drive (or nudges as we call them) are starting to loose their luster. If I am going to shoot a running deer I prefer to do it alone in the woods, tracking or still hunting.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Finished the season in the rain and snow. Saw a few and bounced a few, all Does....

A Doe, with the snow blowing and why I love stillhunting. She never knew, made the day....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by battue
Finished the season in the rain and snow. Saw a few and bounced a few, all Does....

A Doe, with the snow blowing and why I love stillhunting. She never knew, made the day....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

It was a good year Harry.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It was better than a good year, in fact it was one of the best I ever had.

Saw Deer every day, and passed the 100 mark for the season. Crossed paths with some Bucks, drove some to some cherished friends, was in on one of their kills, logged over 60miles on my feet roaming the woods and found some interesting new spots for the future. Yes, it was a great season.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Saw Deer every day, and passed the 100 mark for the season. Crossed paths with some Bucks, drove some to some cherished friends, was in on one of their kills, logged over 60miles on my feet roaming the woods and found some interesting new spots for the future. Yes, it was a great season.

Wow! I only saw 6 deer. But I missed almost the whole first week after filling my tag. Still I doubt I was gonna see anywhere near 20 much less a hundred.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Wow! I only saw 6 deer. But I missed almost the whole first week after filling my tag. Still I doubt I was gonna see anywhere near 20 much less a hundred.

No doubt saw some of the same ones more than once. Hunted everyday but one and if I remember correctly 15 or 16 was the most seen in any one day. Saw 10 or more on multiple days. Saw 6 at one time on 3 different occasions. Moved the better part of the day and if I would not have, I doubt I would have seen half that many. Bud I hunted with every day, saw just as many.

Addition: Bounced more than a few out of their beds, so tails are part of the total.

Last edited by battue; 12/14/19.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,395 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,320
Posts18,468,438
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.