Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Looking at monster and Cabela’s transporter so far. Need organization for gadgets, Nalgene bottles, front pockets for rf, monocular, etc, capacity or lashing enough to carry bulky layers on long hikes, easy for a stand, chair, tripod, etc to ride over or strap to. Will be used in trees, on ground, deer, hogs, varmints....pretty much anything I’d carry a rifle or bow for. Search is kicking my butt on this one, as the terms just hit backpacks or day packs, etc. any help with options appreciated.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check out Mystery Ranch popups or their huge “fanny pack”. Also their Mule set up

Kifaru has amazing pack setups
Get a daypack or buy a frame and then buy a new Stryker or another pack option.

Badlands Diablo Dos

Eberlestock X1

Last edited by addicted; 12/09/19.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks.....Just don’t think I want a full pack/backpack, unless it’s convertible from a lumbar/fanny type. Then again, maybe your telling me to get a frame I can strap stuff to and put a bag on bottom? I have a large MR, and some other stuff for hauling, but I just don’t do it enough anymore, and not sure I will ever again, after having two titanium plates stuffed in my broken back this September. I’m carrying +/- 30# of small essentials knife, multi tool, RF, small survival stuff, scents, limb saw, spare mags/ammo, blowup cushion, beanie, gloves, heat packs, spare batteries for headlamp/light, sometimes a thermal monocular when legal/night hunting, and maybe a daytime monocular when staying in thick woods and not glassing much, scents, and maybe a rattle bag, calls, e-caller and decoy for preds, drag, cleaning gloves, maybe a safety harness on occasion, water, snacks, and some bulky layers......you get the gist. I’ll never haul meat or stay overnight except on accident....for this pack’s use. I WILL occasionally haul a stand or something on top. Lots of small organization and ease of access, with room for bulk when cold and/or wet.

Thinking a frame is over-kill and noise I don’t want to deal with in brush and metal stands, if I’m not gonna load it enough to need it. If I pack in a stand, it can have its own suspension and ride over the top.....and I’m not hauling stands more than a half mile anyway, if ever.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/09/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This has my attention, but by the time you get it set up as seen in the first picture, it's not cheap.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/7/ProductID/68

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 for this year and love it. I have packed two deer out with it so far and it has been as comfortable as a full size frame and shelf pack. Plenty of room to take gear for an all day hunt and stowing a few extra layers on board also. It's a one trip in and out pack even when you kill a deer size animal.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru made a couple of larger lumbar packs and will occasionally rerelease them- the Tailgunner and Scout; they are large enough you definitely want small shoulder straps with them- I've owned both, both are the highest of quality, have plenty of room, carry well, but in the end I always go back to daypack

I do see used ones for sale relatively often

the HPG one looks pretty good too, but remember it needs a belt to go with it and I'd highly suggest shoulder straps as well

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
The only full backpack I’ve seen that I thought I’d prefer, is the HPG Ashton Backcountry.... not sure I’m investing that yet, but I like the fact it’s able to go flat and has a pals interior back, where I could organize stuff....I’ve got [bleep] tons of my own pouches. The belts, bottle holders, and bingo pouches look good to. I prefer my binos/other optics on my belt, since I do some hunting where I wear an AR front slung on my chest, or safari sling bolt guns on the off side and stuff on my chest can hand stuff up when crossing over.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used the Badlands Monster for over a decade and find it very useful and comfortable.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
In spite of the name, the monster actually always appeared limited in capacity/lashing/attachment options? Tru or not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been looking at that Outdoorsmans Muley. Might be something.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I like it!

May have to go that route.

Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd recommend avoiding the Browing Billy 1500 lumbar pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

It's still known as the Muley by the manufacturer (and a bit cheaper). https://www.wildernesspacks.net/product-page/muley

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 12/11/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks.... got one of the wilderness versions ordered.....we’ll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Thanks.... got one of the wilderness versions ordered.....we’ll see.

Full details when you get it!

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Will do

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

My 31 year old lumbar pack from now defunct Packs Plus (made in Utah) has served me well. I have more hours with that pack in the field and bouncing around in the truck than any other piece of outdoor equipment. Nothing on it has ever failed me. I attached a small bag to the shoulder harness between my shoulder blades for an extra pocket. Originally bought it for archery hunting and because I shot traditional bows since before Al Gore invented compound bows (or something like that). It quickly turned into my hunting daypack for everything.

But, it's starting to get a bit "floppy" for lack of a better term. The webbing and bag are stretched is the best I can describe it.

Been looking and trying on as many lumbar packs as I can the last couple years.

I like the LL Bean Ridgeline, the Cabela's Transporter, and the Muley. Although I saw the Muley I didn't have the opportunity to try on. I'm not sure about the shoulder straps only being wide webbing rather than padded. But it is made in USA, something that's important to me.

I may give Wilderness Packs a call after Christmas and see if they will take it back if I don't like it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
HPG umlindi with the belt.
Add 1 or 2 pockets on the belt.
Add a stuff sack on top if you want more room.
Works well and very durable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lostleader
HPG umlindi with the belt.
Add 1 or 2 pockets on the belt.
Add a stuff sack on top if you want more room.
Works well and very durable.

I've been looking at, reading, and asking questions about the Umlindi a lot in the last week. I already have the Prairie Belt. I'd probably get a Palspocket because it's available in orange.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I kinda looked past the HPG....umlindi was too big...more of a daypack with a waist belt, called a lumbar pack, and their butt pack is too small. Wilderness’s day pack is more of a huge lumbar pack. So far, the Muley seems to pack up and organize well. I don’t think the straps will show any lack of padding unless well overloaded and wearing nothing but a Tshirt. Ive got some slip on pads from an HSG carrier I could throw on, if it was an issue. Side pockets are too small for larger/fatter bottles, but hold skinnies fine. More pockets in it than expected, and well thought out. Construction seems very solid, but it’s not as ‘refined’ as some of the trendy brands.....hand sewn vs mass produced, maybe? All same nylon fabric, no stretchy panels, no mesh aside from lumbar pads, nothing really to tear up. Easy to attach pouches on belt. Appears to be easily custom modded, if wanted. Has frame attachment straps, if needed. If you’re over 6’4”, I might ask for longer suspension straps.....pretty much it for now.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/25/19.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Have you considered the Alps Outdoorz Little Bear, Big Bear, Big Bear X or the Covert?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Not since two of them fell apart on me

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Not since two of them fell apart on me

Oh. wow! Never mind. Good to know. I have no personal experience, but knew they were out there and offered them as an option. Thanks for the insight.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
LOL....yeah, and I’m not hard at all on my hunting packs.....even before I broke my back and had plates, I rarely, truly ‘packed’ much while hunting. Majority was just whitetail day hunts. I truly ‘packed’ much more on uncle Sam’s dime...MR, and various other big packs.....but my hunting packs are really babied....especially now that I’ve got weight limits. LOL

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Resurrecting this to plug the wilderness muley for being well made, AND to own up that I’ve figured out I DO need more room AND a regular daypack with some expansion will probably be more versatile for me, in the long run. I may keep the muley for a fall bow or run and gun pack, but I’m carrying more bulky, odd-shaped crap than I was, and a full pack is gonna ride better on my back with all that, than lashing it to a lumbar. Sooo....waffling between a just one/j34, x1a3, or maybe the bigger pop up.

Leaning just one, for expansion/accessories, and crossing it over for Turkey and duck chairs/dekes, night hogging tripod, etc. compressed, it seems as small as the other.

Maybe I’ll listen better this time....LOL

In fairness, there’s been a learning curve for figuring out what works best with my new lower back, and packs.

J
JRK Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have been fooling a lot with packs recently...

Definitely depends, to me, on whether or not I am hauling meat. I hunt several places where I always am, and another place where I walk miles while hunting but haul everything out by returning with a 4 wheeler or tractor... I am messing with a pop up 18, after selling my pinter, also now have a MR sawtooth plus a mule extra bag and a stone glacier r3 3300- gonna keep 1 of the 2 setups and sell the other after I decide. Thinking a stone glacier avail would be nice...

I also have an x1a2 and have had an x2 and used a just 1...i actually do like the bacscabbards for climbing in and out of steep areas hands-free (also use a kifaru gunbearer)

The outdoorsman's/wilderness Day pack, a bit bigger than the muley, looks interesting. Company says it carries like a lumbar. I would like to try an umlindi.

I am testing my pop up and the ither packs on a trail out back with some waist high deadfall that has come down in a few places. It really does make a difference climbing through that stuff vs the packs with the high load lifters...but clearly isn't as robust. OTH, if not meat hauling, the pop up feature ain't needed...

Choices choices

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mountainsmith? I have 2, a small one that I've had for at least 25 years and a large one.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I have some Kelty and Bean day/3-day, etc packs, if I’m going granola-style. I tend to prefer more hunting/tactical oriented layouts and such. If I’m backpacking and hiking these days, it’s for a purpose other than just the backpacking or hiking, and usually involves carrying stuff no regular backpacker or hiker would, normally. wink

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hill people Gear Umlindi.
Add belt, pouches and stuff sack as needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,075
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.