Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Looking at monster and Cabela’s transporter so far. Need organization for gadgets, Nalgene bottles, front pockets for rf, monocular, etc, capacity or lashing enough to carry bulky layers on long hikes, easy for a stand, chair, tripod, etc to ride over or strap to. Will be used in trees, on ground, deer, hogs, varmints....pretty much anything I’d carry a rifle or bow for. Search is kicking my butt on this one, as the terms just hit backpacks or day packs, etc. any help with options appreciated.

BP-B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Check out Mystery Ranch popups or their huge “fanny pack”. Also their Mule set up

Kifaru has amazing pack setups
Get a daypack or buy a frame and then buy a new Stryker or another pack option.

Badlands Diablo Dos

Eberlestock X1

Last edited by addicted; 12/09/19.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks.....Just don’t think I want a full pack/backpack, unless it’s convertible from a lumbar/fanny type. Then again, maybe your telling me to get a frame I can strap stuff to and put a bag on bottom? I have a large MR, and some other stuff for hauling, but I just don’t do it enough anymore, and not sure I will ever again, after having two titanium plates stuffed in my broken back this September. I’m carrying +/- 30# of small essentials knife, multi tool, RF, small survival stuff, scents, limb saw, spare mags/ammo, blowup cushion, beanie, gloves, heat packs, spare batteries for headlamp/light, sometimes a thermal monocular when legal/night hunting, and maybe a daytime monocular when staying in thick woods and not glassing much, scents, and maybe a rattle bag, calls, e-caller and decoy for preds, drag, cleaning gloves, maybe a safety harness on occasion, water, snacks, and some bulky layers......you get the gist. I’ll never haul meat or stay overnight except on accident....for this pack’s use. I WILL occasionally haul a stand or something on top. Lots of small organization and ease of access, with room for bulk when cold and/or wet.

Thinking a frame is over-kill and noise I don’t want to deal with in brush and metal stands, if I’m not gonna load it enough to need it. If I pack in a stand, it can have its own suspension and ride over the top.....and I’m not hauling stands more than a half mile anyway, if ever.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/09/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This has my attention, but by the time you get it set up as seen in the first picture, it's not cheap.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/7/ProductID/68

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 for this year and love it. I have packed two deer out with it so far and it has been as comfortable as a full size frame and shelf pack. Plenty of room to take gear for an all day hunt and stowing a few extra layers on board also. It's a one trip in and out pack even when you kill a deer size animal.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kifaru made a couple of larger lumbar packs and will occasionally rerelease them- the Tailgunner and Scout; they are large enough you definitely want small shoulder straps with them- I've owned both, both are the highest of quality, have plenty of room, carry well, but in the end I always go back to daypack

I do see used ones for sale relatively often

the HPG one looks pretty good too, but remember it needs a belt to go with it and I'd highly suggest shoulder straps as well

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
The only full backpack I’ve seen that I thought I’d prefer, is the HPG Ashton Backcountry.... not sure I’m investing that yet, but I like the fact it’s able to go flat and has a pals interior back, where I could organize stuff....I’ve got [bleep] tons of my own pouches. The belts, bottle holders, and bingo pouches look good to. I prefer my binos/other optics on my belt, since I do some hunting where I wear an AR front slung on my chest, or safari sling bolt guns on the off side and stuff on my chest can hand stuff up when crossing over.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used the Badlands Monster for over a decade and find it very useful and comfortable.

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
In spite of the name, the monster actually always appeared limited in capacity/lashing/attachment options? Tru or not?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been looking at that Outdoorsmans Muley. Might be something.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I like it!

May have to go that route.

Thanks!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd recommend avoiding the Browing Billy 1500 lumbar pack.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore

It's still known as the Muley by the manufacturer (and a bit cheaper). https://www.wildernesspacks.net/product-page/muley

Last edited by Whttail_in_MT; 12/11/19.
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Thanks.... got one of the wilderness versions ordered.....we’ll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Thanks.... got one of the wilderness versions ordered.....we’ll see.

Full details when you get it!

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
Will do

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

My 31 year old lumbar pack from now defunct Packs Plus (made in Utah) has served me well. I have more hours with that pack in the field and bouncing around in the truck than any other piece of outdoor equipment. Nothing on it has ever failed me. I attached a small bag to the shoulder harness between my shoulder blades for an extra pocket. Originally bought it for archery hunting and because I shot traditional bows since before Al Gore invented compound bows (or something like that). It quickly turned into my hunting daypack for everything.

But, it's starting to get a bit "floppy" for lack of a better term. The webbing and bag are stretched is the best I can describe it.

Been looking and trying on as many lumbar packs as I can the last couple years.

I like the LL Bean Ridgeline, the Cabela's Transporter, and the Muley. Although I saw the Muley I didn't have the opportunity to try on. I'm not sure about the shoulder straps only being wide webbing rather than padded. But it is made in USA, something that's important to me.

I may give Wilderness Packs a call after Christmas and see if they will take it back if I don't like it.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
HPG umlindi with the belt.
Add 1 or 2 pockets on the belt.
Add a stuff sack on top if you want more room.
Works well and very durable.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lostleader
HPG umlindi with the belt.
Add 1 or 2 pockets on the belt.
Add a stuff sack on top if you want more room.
Works well and very durable.

I've been looking at, reading, and asking questions about the Umlindi a lot in the last week. I already have the Prairie Belt. I'd probably get a Palspocket because it's available in orange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
697 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,740 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.