Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The backpack hunting forum has slipped a bit over the years, but at least this beats JeffO telling us how many jumping jacks he did, haha.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Ed T

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
The backpack hunting forum has slipped a bit over the years, but at least this beats JeffO telling us how many jumping jacks he did, haha.

Haha!

I like the looks of the Stryker a lot. My 20+ year old duplex frame needs replacing. Probably get a new one with a Stryker to complement the mountain warrior I have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am thinking about ordering one too, specifically for trapping and day hunts.

I dearly love my Reckoning with a Sherman attached, but in day mode there's too damn many straps that blow and flap around in the wind, smacking me in the face sometimes. Finding which female goes to which male gets old, quick. Rolling each strap's tag end up and securing with the velcro is way too much work, especially with cold fingers and when I am constantly getting stuff in and out of the bag, and loosening some compression straps each time.

Having way less compression straps, the Stryker looks pretty ideal for what I am wanting.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
After serious consideration I have decided to go with the Hill People Gear Decker Pack Frame and Prairie Belt.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
After serious consideration I have decided to go with the Hill People Gear Decker Pack Frame and Prairie Belt.

Same thing I did in December! I already had a Prairie Belt so got the Decker bag and frame to go with it. Haven't done anything with it yet other than getting it set up.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
+1x2

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ed_T
+1x2

You're the enabler. grin

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
😁

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Anyone used the Stryker much yet?

Thinking about grabbing one. Wanted just a Cargo Panel, mostly for training hikes/walks, but I waited too long.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Holston

Thinking about grabbing one. Wanted just a Cargo Panel, mostly for training hikes/walks, but I waited too long.

Holston this might work for you and save you some coin.

I think the HPG Decker will do everything the Stryker will do and do it better.

HPG frame and hip belt $370 Decker bag $110= $480 Vs Kifaru Frame $350 bag $220= $570

HPG Frame and belt is 5lb and with Decker Bag 6.1lb vs Kifaru at 5.56lb all up

HPG Claims a 300lb load capacity, Kifaru I don't see any load capacity rating.

I am not going to run the Decker bag at least for now. I'll use a Sea to Summit 35L Ultra-Sil Nano Dry Sack.

I would really like to do a real side by side comparison of the two and down the road I might just do that. But for now I am all in on the HPG system.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/25/20.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I already have a Kifaru frame and accessories, so it’s be the cheaper option by far.

I wish the Decker system was on the Qui-ya frame instead of the Yute. The Qui frame might work well for my height, being that it’s pretty much 28”. I don’t think I could get comfortable in the smaller one they used with the Decker.

I will look into them again, and make sure. I liked the look of them when they came out, but I’m pretty sure I decided the size just wouldn’t work.

HPG is on the same level as Kifaru as far as I’m concerned. Just a little less flexible to people way outside the normal size range.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I already have a Kifaru frame and accessories, so it’s be the cheaper option by far.

I wish the Decker system was on the Qui-ya frame instead of the Yute. The Qui frame might work well for my height, being that it’s pretty much 28”. I don’t think I could get comfortable in the smaller one they used with the Decker.

I will look into them again, and make sure. I liked the look of them when they came out, but I’m pretty sure I decided the size just wouldn’t work.

HPG is on the same level as Kifaru as far as I’m concerned. Just a little less flexible to people way outside the normal size range.

I already have a Kifaru frame and accessories,

Yes this would make sense for you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
HPG has always been interesting to me but I've never taken the plunge. Their new upland pack/bag looks great though.

I'd be interested in hearing an update on the decker when you sort it out.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
HPG has always been interesting to me but I've never taken the plunge. Their new upland pack/bag looks great though.

I'd be interested in hearing an update on the decker when you sort it out.

I'll be able to tell you soon. Will be using it for Spring Bear.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just picked up the Stryker for when I don’t need the Muskeg 7000. I’m hoping to try it out this weekend in Texas, fingers crossed.

Should make good use for a variety of loads.

M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I am not sure this Decker is going to work for me. Initial fit isn't very good. I will do a few practice hikes with weight in it, but so far not big long enough for my torso.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 02/29/20.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Scorpion

I just picked up the Stryker for when I don’t need the Muskeg 7000. I’m hoping to try it out this weekend in Texas, fingers crossed.

Do you have a guide lid? I’m curious if one will work on the Stryker, and how well. I think if I could run a lid, I’d be good to go for most of my deer hunting.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
I am not sure this Decker is going to work for me. Initial fit isn't very good. I will do a few practice hikes with weight in it, but so far not big long enough for my torso.

I was looking at the HPG Ute at one time, which I’m pretty sure the decker uses the same frame system. Seems I remember hearing how the have no lift at all for people 6’+. I stopped right there. I would think that with 24” stays that most, unless pretty tall, could make it work.

Hope you get it worked out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Scorpion

Do you have a guide lid? I’m curious if one will work on the Stryker, and how well. I think if I could run a lid, I’d be good to go for most of my deer hunting.

A lid would need to be hooked to the frame, or the tab loops used for the top compression straps on the Stryker would need doubled up, but yes a lid is compatible with the system.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
506 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 48 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.