Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Seems to me that the design of the Creedmoor begs the use of an Old School 155-160 round nose? Has anyone tried it and used it on hogs, or just heavier game? I think it would be fun, but I don't have my rifle yet, so curious....

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of the testing that I have seen, does not show well for the 160 Interlock. Maybe others are better.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used the 160 Hornady some on deer, and will not use it again--and that was at a muzzle velocity of around 2200 from the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer round. Saw it break both shoulders and exit--and fail to reach the far ribs on a behind-the-shoulder shot.

If you really want to try that sort of bullet I would suggest the 156-grain Norma Oryx, a bonded bullet that's sort of a cross between a round-nose and spitzer. They expand widely yet penetrate pretty well, because normal weight retention is around 90%. Have used them on all sorts of stuff, in various calibers, with very good results.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Seems to me that the design of the Creedmoor begs the use of an Old School 155-160 round nose? Has anyone tried it and used it on hogs, or just heavier game? I think it would be fun, but I don't have my rifle yet, so curious....

Why not just use a good pointy bullet designed for the CM? There's no real advantage to using an "old school" round nosed bullet.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The 140 grain bullets worked best in mine.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm just curious bsa is all. I will use whatever it shoots best, of course, but I sometimes like to "thump" a critter with a heavy round nose. Nostalgic I suppose. smile

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How about a nice nostalgic 140 Partition?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it works and you want to try it, I say try it. Yrs ago I loaded some 7 Rem mags with the 175 gr Hornady rd nose bullets and they were definitely thumpers. Double shoulder shots seemed to body slam the 2 or 3 mature does I shot with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I have used the 160 Hornady some on deer, and will not use it again--and that was at a muzzle velocity of around 2200 from the 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer round. Saw it break both shoulders and exit--and fail to reach the far ribs on a behind-the-shoulder shot.

If you really want to try that sort of bullet I would suggest the 156-grain Norma Oryx, a bonded bullet that's sort of a cross between a round-nose and spitzer. They expand widely yet penetrate pretty well, because normal weight retention is around 90%. Have used them on all sorts of stuff, in various calibers, with very good results.

I recovered one from a javelina. (Hornady)

I don’t get the belief that slower heavy for caliber bullets become “thumpers” and somehow are more effective on game. Hasn’t been my experience. The slower I’ve shot a particular bullet the less damage it has done. Additionally, construction trumps weight on penetration. Example: 160 gr Hornady RN 6.5mm.

Last edited by smallfry; 12/08/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
grovey,

I have double-shouldered whitetail does with cup-and-core bullets as small as the 100-grain blue box Federal .243's--and they exited.

Plus, double-shoulder shots with bullets that make it through both shoulders (and don't even exit) generally "body-slam" animals, especially if they come anywhere close to the spine--and they generally do. It isn't a result of the bullet (or cartridge, or velocity) but placement.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
All true guys, and I enjoy using them all! But they are still fun to hunt/kill game with, for me. smile My problem is/has always been a lack of time/money to use everything/hunt everything I want to use/try/experience! ha I'm one f those guys who could "literally" hunt/shoot every day of my life...but, didn't turn out that way. smile

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 12/09/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

That's about 180 degrees out of phase.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
What I meant was the design calls for the ability to shoot a long bullet in a short action w/o crowding the powder space. Semantics, my bad. smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Please forgive me for being picky, but it wasn't about the powder space either. grin

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

MD, do you have any experience on deer sized animals with the 155 gr Lapua Mega?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mathman
Please forgive me for being picky, but it wasn't about the powder space either. grin

Oh you devil you!

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I bought a bunch of really cheap PPU 156 gr from Grafs 3 years ago. The shape of the bullet is reminiscent of the old Nosler Semi Pointed. Kind of aerodynamic for a roundnose and they feed very well from the Mannlicher Schoenauer 6.5x54 (but Hornady 160's can occasionally drag on the feed ramp with their more exposed lead nose). The real bottom line is, I got the best groups ever from my rifle with them. Two dinky blacktail bucks don't tell the story on performance, but they worked and I couldn't do an autopsy, through the ribcage. I run them about 2350 fps which is awful tame compared to the possibilities offered by the much larger Creed case. Anyway, at 17 bucks a 100, it's an awful good bullet IMO.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
+1 on the PPU's. Woodleigh has a fairly new 160 RN that should be good. No info on the velocity window it was designed for but their other 6.5s have a pretty wide velocity range something like 1,600 - 3,200 fps. They are good with info just ask them and see if they have any load data too.

I am tempted to load up some 160s in the Swede and burn up some AA8700 I have around for a sort of old school load.

The 7mm versions worked great on hogs of any size.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear ya and if ya like it and it works have fun. If you pay for the trip to Africa, I will load us up some heavy 6.5 solids and we can poke a hole in a elephants pumpkin and settle this 6.5 Creed debate once and for all!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman

That's about 180 degrees out of phase.

More like 420° out.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,123
Posts18,464,608
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.