Molon Labe
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I will explain my point one more time. I have done this before, not on this thread, but here are some of the problems I have had with the 243, 6mm, 257 Roberts, and a couple other calibers in this group.. I will give only a couple, but over the years, this has happened maybe 8 times... I suppose I have used these on 60 to 80 head of big game..
First none of these animals were lost, none were failures due to poor bullet placement.. All were well hit, and the bullet exited..

First and antelope buck shot during a winter hunt.. About 200 yards, behind the shoulder with an 85 gr. Sierra HPBT..the little buck showed no reaction. It was very cold.. At the shot he looked at me, calmly walk up the hill about 200 yards and stood around .. I couldn't believe I missed everything was solid.. It was Jan. so I got in my vehicle and got warm.. I could see the buck standing there. After a few minutes, his head began drooping, and he lay down... I realized I must have hit him.. I cut the track and walked too him and found the bullet had hit just where I aimed.. It just took a long time for him to die..

Years later, this time with a .257 Roberts, I put a 100 grain Speer, behind the shoulder of a big doe antelope.. We had thousands of them at this time.. It was at the edge of a big herd.. At the shot she walked into the herd, and they milled around.. It was about a 300 yard shot dead rest/. My wife saw it hit, and I heard it hit.. I told her look at your watch.. Finally the herd started stringing up the hill away from us.. They didn't run, they just walked in a line.. Finally, there was only one left, she started up the hill, maybe a 100 yards later she lay down.. She had been on her feet seven minutes from the shot til she lay down.. When we got to her, she was dead shot though both lungs..

Another, This was with a 6mm Rem.. 100 gr. Remington factory load.. First day of season.. We left town after work and drove to the hunting area.. We saw antelope every where and finally came on a big doe drinking at a small pond.. I put a 100 gr. bullet behind the shoulder and she took off like a bullet.. I suppose she ran 200-250 yards across the prairie and finally went end over end.. When we got to her she was hit where I aimed and the bullet exited..But she bled very little the first 50 or so yards, and I have never had a well hit animal run this far..

Over the same span of time, I suppose we shot another 80 head of big game with hot .22-250s etc,, Never once did I have that type of experience.. We have also shot about the same amount of game maybe more with .30-30's, .32spl.. .7mm-08, .300 Savage, .270 and . the old .30-06.. Never anything like this with those calibers either.. Last fall we shot one buck antelope with the 6mm and an 85 gr. Sierra HPBT dropped him in his tracks.. Also a yearling whitetail doe.. same gun same load..Dropped her on the spot.. But she was eating and had her head down and the bullet hit the spine before entering the chest..

These problems do not occur with every shot or animal, but they have been irritating to me ... Some guys will say, you got your game, what is the difference.. Some people never learn either.. I like my current 6mm and plan to use it some this fall.. But I am very aware of bullet placement, something that has not be so trouble some with other calibers.. I know folks have been very successful with these calibers, but I have had a number of less than desirable things occur with them..
What did the bullet wounds look like on the ones that didn't die quickly ? The reason I ask is that I once shot a whitetail buck with a 100 gr. core-lokt {.243} and it was obvious from the tiny pencil wound with almost no bruising that the bullet didn't expand. That deer did not go far but I bet if the bullet had not pierced the heart {looked like you stabbed a pencil through it } it could have. That was the only time I've ever seen such little damage from any CF cartridge and I've never used .243 core-lokts again because of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hitting a gong is not hitting game..

You have never hunted and eaten gongs??

WTF??

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
There is one answer to killing problems with a 243 and that answer is the Nosler Partition. I have seen that many 243 bullets are made a bit too stout to avoid blow up problems at close range. This can lead to inconsistent expansion at medium to long ranges. I have seen this with many bullets including factory bullets.

95 grain Nosler Partitions will solve all of these problems. The copper at the nose is thin and the lead soft. It will expand reliably as they can make the front very soft and rely on the inner belt to control expansion and penetration. We also like the SST but sometimes expansion can be too much at close range. 85-100 grain Nosler Partitions depending on case capacity and don't look back. When the caliber is this small you need excellent bullet action and the Partition will give you that 99% of the time. There is still a problem with the 243 and that is that the flat trajectory can tempt you to make shots after the energy has dipped too low. You can hit them but past 300 yards or a bit more killing power is not that impressive.

Last edited by North61; 03/27/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I have never used partitions but have had excellent results with SST's.

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The SST's do seem to open up well at long ranges. We like em.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Only 2 deer w a 95 grain Partiton but quite a few with the 60 grainer in 22-250.

One deadly SOB in both. I am sure I don't need em for deer but I sure do like how they work.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 03/27/20.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wyo,

I suspect that the anecdotal observations you've made are more coincidental than correlational. To have seen 60-80 head of game fall to 6mm and .257" caliber bullets with no issues other than a small handful of exceptions tells me that it may have more to do with other factors than the caliber of the bullet. Either inadequate bullet expansion or perhaps different vitality among individual animals. For example, caribou are not especially hard to lay down but I witnessed one bull take 3 rounds of 225gr SP from a .338 Win Mag through the shoulders and lungs from different angles before going down, and he needed a 4th round to finish him upon approach. After the first shot the hunter thought he had missed because the bull gave no reaction to the hit, but I saw it through my bino. I told him to hit the bull again. And again. And finally a finisher was needed. It was an anomaly and definitely doesn't mean that .338" bullets are mediocre performers on caribou. I've also witnessed bull moose, which often take a while to drop after being shot, go down instantly when hit through the shoulder with a 7-08, but I've also seen them stand around after being hit in the shoulder with a .300 Win Mag. I saw a big WT doe get hit by a 105 AM from the .243AI, and at the shot it looked like a can of tomato soup exploded out from the deer's hide onto the snow. When we walked up to place where it was standing at the shot, it looked like someone had poured a 1 gallon pail of red paint onto the snow, and the blood trail was 4-6 inches wide all the way to where the deer lay. The bullet had exploded the heart but she still made it 80 yards.

Animals are individuals and some stay on their feet longer than others. Some give no indication that they've been hit, regardless of caliber, while others freak out. This is assuming proper bullet expansion and penetration, and proper shot placement in all cases.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've posted this before but will do again. The farthest I've ever had a whitetail go after taking a well placed shot was with a 12 gauge slug. She took one through both lungs broadside from 30 yards and I watched her run 250 yards across an open field before she finally went down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a bit of blood right at the site of impact. 6mm 95 grain Partition. Shot was too high to bleed this good.

Maybe a 50-60 yard death run. Deer moved as I shot.

Was supposed to be a high shoulder shot for a DRT kill
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Interesting stuff guys.. Blackheart, at this point in time, I don't remember the answer to your question, that could have been the case..

Jordan , 61, you make valid points.. I would readily agree that could be the case.. The thing I still consider is why not the same problems with other calibers of the same energy, but big and heavier bullets.. ??? Just something to think about.. I like my current 6mm and will probably try the 95 gr.. Part.. Down the road if I live long enough.. Thanks for the interest and information.. Lots of things happen in the hunting/shooting world that are not easily explained..

10, the thing that I have thought about many times, why does this not happen with the big cased .22's.. One thing I considered is I have never shot an animal except varmints at over 200 yards with those.. But most of my game with the .24's & 25's have been less than 200 also.. Thanks for the interest...

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I will explain my point one more time. I have done this before, not on this thread, but here are some of the problems I have had with the 243, 6mm, 257 Roberts, and a couple other calibers in this group.. I will give only a couple, but over the years, this has happened maybe 8 times... I suppose I have used these on 60 to 80 head of big game..
First none of these animals were lost, none were failures due to poor bullet placement.. All were well hit, and the bullet exited..

First and antelope buck shot during a winter hunt.. About 200 yards, behind the shoulder with an 85 gr. Sierra HPBT..the little buck showed no reaction. It was very cold.. At the shot he looked at me, calmly walk up the hill about 200 yards and stood around .. I couldn't believe I missed everything was solid.. It was Jan. so I got in my vehicle and got warm.. I could see the buck standing there. After a few minutes, his head began drooping, and he lay down... I realized I must have hit him.. I cut the track and walked too him and found the bullet had hit just where I aimed.. It just took a long time for him to die..

Years later, this time with a .257 Roberts, I put a 100 grain Speer, behind the shoulder of a big doe antelope.. We had thousands of them at this time.. It was at the edge of a big herd.. At the shot she walked into the herd, and they milled around.. It was about a 300 yard shot dead rest/. My wife saw it hit, and I heard it hit.. I told her look at your watch.. Finally the herd started stringing up the hill away from us.. They didn't run, they just walked in a line.. Finally, there was only one left, she started up the hill, maybe a 100 yards later she lay down.. She had been on her feet seven minutes from the shot til she lay down.. When we got to her, she was dead shot though both lungs..

Another, This was with a 6mm Rem.. 100 gr. Remington factory load.. First day of season.. We left town after work and drove to the hunting area.. We saw antelope every where and finally came on a big doe drinking at a small pond.. I put a 100 gr. bullet behind the shoulder and she took off like a bullet.. I suppose she ran 200-250 yards across the prairie and finally went end over end.. When we got to her she was hit where I aimed and the bullet exited..But she bled very little the first 50 or so yards, and I have never had a well hit animal run this far..

Over the same span of time, I suppose we shot another 80 head of big game with hot .22-250s etc,, Never once did I have that type of experience.. We have also shot about the same amount of game maybe more with .30-30's, .32spl.. .7mm-08, .300 Savage, .270 and . the old .30-06.. Never anything like this with those calibers either.. Last fall we shot one buck antelope with the 6mm and an 85 gr. Sierra HPBT dropped him in his tracks.. Also a yearling whitetail doe.. same gun same load..Dropped her on the spot.. But she was eating and had her head down and the bullet hit the spine before entering the chest..

These problems do not occur with every shot or animal, but they have been irritating to me ... Some guys will say, you got your game, what is the difference.. Some people never learn either.. I like my current 6mm and plan to use it some this fall.. But I am very aware of bullet placement, something that has not be so trouble some with other calibers.. I know folks have been very successful with these calibers, but I have had a number of less than desirable things occur with them..

Lemme guess, your "go to" 600 yard gun is a 44 mag pistol. 😂😂

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is entrance wound.

Shot should have been about 8" farther forward.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
What is it you guys Think is happening? You shoot them in exactly the right place but the 6mm bullet somehow doesn't poke a hole or a 6mm hole doesn't kill where a 223 or 6.5mm does? Lol this thread is making my brain hurt.

People keep saying they made a perfect shot but the deer got away. How do you know where the shot went on a deer that was not recovered?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

10, the thing that I have thought about many times, why does this not happen with the big cased .22's.. One thing I considered is I have never shot an animal except varmints at over 200 yards with those.. But most of my game with the .24's & 25's have been less than 200 also.. Thanks for the interest...
It may be due to higher velocity at impact and thinner jackets that you're just getting better/ more consistent expansion from the .22's. In the case I related above, I'm quite positive that core-lokt .243 bullet expanded very little or not at all. Also being well stabilized and penetrating through low in the chest, that bullet probably didn't have time to destabilize and tumble before exiting the far side. I have found the various 55 and 60 grain .22 caliber sp bullets I've used out of my.223's and .22-250's to be very destructive to the internal organs of deer on a consistent basis.

Last edited by Blackheart; 03/27/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
My 11 yr old buddy learned how to kill deer effectively with a 243 and 95gr ballistic tips. This is a great deer killing combo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WCH, Valid point for sure.

I have my thoughts about why the big case 22s and light bullets in the 24s work so well.

I have seen the 223, 22-250 and Swift used over 200 yards but those bullets were either the 55 grain Sierra Gameking and a bud used a Swift with a 55 grain V-Max on a doe several years back.

The doe shot with the Swift was pretty much dead where she was shot at about 300 yards. The little V Max bruised the hell out of the opposite side but as to be expected did not exit.

The 55 Gamekings exit deer for the most part. Probably another bullet used in there but the Sierra was used 99% of the time early on.

No huge bodied bucks shot with anything other than the Partition though in the .22 calibers.

If toting a .22 for deer again the Nosler Partition is what I will most likely use. Maybe a TTSX but the Nosler lays out a fine blood trail in the 22 caliber.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JGRaider
My 11 yr old buddy learned how to kill deer effectively with a 243 and 95gr ballistic tips. This is a great deer killing combo.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You really should have made him hold out for a bigger deer!!

Ruined that poor kid!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
m243, no a 7mm mag.. Thanks just the same a.h,!!

10 and Blackheart, I have thought the same thing for a while.. Those 22's are really zipping along.. Just one of those things.. I haven't had this happen for many years, but also have not used the .24's much till I got the 6mm last summer..

JG nice buck.. He might just have been lucky, ha ha..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The 85 TSX/80 TTSX from a .243 are stone cold killers. I suspect the 95 LRX is as well, but haven't used it yet personally.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,307
Posts18,449,115
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.