-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Alaska has some muzzle loader only moose hunts. They usually take place from October on. Looking for a weather resistant gun that has enough of the "right stuff" to take a moose down with a lung shot out to 200 yards. I will be using a low powered scope.

Any ideas gents?

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
TC pro hunter

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
T/C Prohunter would work, stainless and pretty lightweight. I've been looking at a Knight Ultra Lite muzzle loader, a little expensive but should be a joy to carry.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
careful with TC, sometimes what people think is SS, is actually cerkote which has been known to flake off.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
Alaska has some muzzle loader only moose hunts. They usually take place from October on. Looking for a weather resistant gun that has enough of the "right stuff" to take a moose down with a lung shot out to 200 yards. I will be using a low powered scope.

Any ideas gents?

Just an FYI for muzzleloader only hunts up here, no scopes allowed.

Muzzleloader
You MAY NOT use a muzzleloader for
big game:
• UNLESS it is a shoulder-mounted
long gun and is at least .45 caliber
or larger with a barrel that is either
rifled or smooth bore and discharges a
single projectile.
• that is equipped with a scope or uses
smokeless powder during any
permitted, registered, or special
season hunt for muzzleloader only

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Id try to find a White muzzleloader and use big heavy lead conical bullets, especially with open sights.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dang, better dive into the regs a bit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
The way I read it, you hafta take a certification course and test to prove you know what you're doing. As to your original question, about any rifle will have the "right stuff" to take down a moose with a lung shot. Choose the type (modern or traditional) and action you're comfortable with and learn how to run it. Myself, if I didn't already have several that would do the trick, I'd probably look for a T/C Omega and fit it with a peep sight. Simple, rugged and easy to use. For moose I'd go with a heavier bullet, 300+ grains in a sabot or 400+ full bore.

"Alaska Muzzleloader Education Course

The muzzleloader education course provides "hands-on" instruction on:
safe handling of black powder and black powder substitutes
muzzleloaders at the range and in the field
This course is required of all hunters wanting to hunt in a "Muzzleloader Only" area or who want to apply for any "Muzzleloader Only" permit hunt.
The muzzleloader education course also covers firearms safety, wildlife conservation, being a responsible/ethical hunter, shot placement, and ballistic information on hunting with a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader education classes are taught by dedicated volunteer instructors who commit valuable time and expertise.
ALASKA MUZZLELOADER EDUCATION COURSE OPTIONS:
There are two ways to take an Alaska muzzleloader education course:
Instructor-led course: 2 parts — workbook home study, 8 hour field day

Online course + field day: 2 parts — online study and test — 4 hour field day."

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Knight makes some models with sights for states with restrictions, including the Ultra Light.

Earlier this year, I scrounged up a TC Impact for my son at the last minute for a Colorado elk hunt. I was pretty impressed by the weight and balance, and ease of maintenance. Not stainless, but Weather Shield, which appears to be some sort of plating, not Cerakote. The Pro Hunter I checked out at the same time was okay too, just twice the price. Good triggers on both.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

668 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.