Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i would rebarrel that rifle with a Brux barrel, chamber it to a 6 BR , have Straight Line Machining Greg Whalstrom 320-272-4897 put the barrel on and rebed this rifle. he builds alot of very fine bench rifles and some have won National titles 1,000 yd. and others.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by pete53
i would rebarrel that rifle with a Brux barrel, chamber it to a 6 BR .

That would be a good idea with a different bolt face, let a 222 stay a 222

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mart: A friend of mine, years ago, "found out the hard way" that barrels can be shot out!
In this instance I had introduced a fellow Rock Chuck shooter to Prairie Dog shooting!
On my recommendation he had bought a Remington 40XB-KS in caliber 220 Swift (just like mine!) - this Rifle worked extremely well on Rock Chucks and was extremely accurate!
He and I were at SPRAA Range in south Seattle one calm day double checking our sight in before a Hunt. I saw him shoot a 5 shot group at 200 (two hundred!) yards that measured just a tad under .500"!
This with Varmint worthy type bullets!
Anyway eventually we go Prairie Dog Hunting for the first (his) time in Wyoming and my friend (an N.R.A Director at the time) shot his 40X hot - numerous times over the course of that week.
Against my advice (and due to a lack of other guns to shoot) he kept at it - shooting the Rifle hot.
Another year of Rock Chuckin and Prairie Doggin and his accuracy diminished noticeably! With just at 2,000 round down that factory barrel he went searching for a new replacement barrel - he decided on Remington's Custom Shop.
Worked out pretty well - but was not cheap!
This second Remington barrel shot very well indeed (I thought) but not quite as well as the first.
He did learn the shooting "hot barrel" lesson a bit early IMO.
I have never shot out a 222 Remingtons barrel - nor seen one shot out, so I am puzzled about your 40X's barrel being so rough???
Could it be due to salt air up Alaska way?
Where did the Rifle live before you got it?
And, this comment on the 222 Remington in "accurate Rifles" and barrel wear.
I went to a Bench Rest Match out in Tacoma, Washington years ago and a fellow there was shooting a Rifle (contraption!) in caliber 222 Remington in the Unlimited Class.
He was shooting very well indeed against all the other competitors who were using Rifles in 6m/m PPC and such.
Anyway the owner of the Rifle and my friend Russ Haydon (formerly of Russ Haydons Shooting Supply) explained to me the history of that Rifle and the number of rounds down the barrel.
It had been built from SCRATCH and owned by the famous die maker L.E. Wilson of Cashmere, Washington. Everything (except the trigger!) had been built by Mr. Wilson - barrel, action and frame!
It originally had a 28" very heavy non-stainless barrel and with it Mr. Wilson had shot a world record target with it and eventually won many matches. Eventually accuracy started to fade and being a frugal man Mr. Wilson removed the barrel, cut off the chamber and throat end and turned it around, re-chambered it then shot it backwards (so to speak) with resulting great accuracy!
Well time goes buy and Mr. Wilson notices accuracy diminishing again and once again "chops" off the chamber and reverses it again! Now he is shooting a stubby very heavy barrel and the accuracy is back to wonderful!
The Rifle is eventually sold to the owner who is shooting it in Tacoma and doing very well at this event!
The information on the barrel life was there had been over 30,000 (thirty thousand!) rounds down the tube!
Probably not "max loads" for sure but a LOT of cleaning had been done on that barrel as well.
That day the owner of that 222 did not win the Unlimited Class but he beat more competitors than beat him!
I am suspecting moisture abuse and or poor cleaning habits solvents for the barrel pitting - lots of rounds for the leades to the rifling being worn.
Call Remington and see what they say.
Best of luck to you in the barrel replacement search/project.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The rifle came from CA a few weeks ago. The salt air of Alaska is not the issue. I know nothing of the history other than I think it's been shot a lot. Here are some bore pics. One of the things I am going to check next trip to the range is the scope with a single vision prescription. I shot with my trifocals last time and had a terrible time keeping the target in focus. I had focused the scope, it was cold out and I was not letting the barrel get hot at all. But with both the Leupold 36 and a Weaver 36 I played hell trying to keep my vision focused. I had no trouble with my 6x scopes on a couple other guns but when I jumped up to 36x found I was was constantly fighting finding a focal sweet spot. I have a single vision prescription for my shooting glasses and will try that before I completely condemn the barrel. I just didn't have them with me that day. Seems I cannot go to the range without forgetting something. I still think the barrel is rough based on the photos below. These were with a Lyman bore scope.

Throat area
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

various shots throughout the barrel

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mart, that thing looks like it led the life of a 2 dollar whore. Rode hard put up wet.

Swifty
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by mart
So if you were going to rebarrel a 40x in 222, for the sole purpose of enjoying shooting little groups, who would you use and what barrel maker? Thanks in advance guys.

If I were doing a 40X in .222 it would be for the history, and so I would stay true to the history. The barrel would be Hart or Shilen with a 1-14" twist to launch 52 or 53 grain HP or HPBT bullets. There are more accurate combinations today, but IMHO that is the "right" one for the cartridge.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Mart, that thing looks like it led the life of a 2 dollar whore. Rode hard put up wet.

agreed x2 get a new barrel, but if you are considering bench rest or FTR class competition you may want a different twist rifle and or cartridge ? but for sure i would use a Brux barrel or a Krieger barrel .

Last edited by pete53; 12/09/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Swifty52

I had a similar thought when I ran the bore scope.

Not going to compete. Just always wanted a 40x in 222 to have some fun with.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a Sako Vixen wearing a Hart barrel in the Sako contour. Nice light rig for a walking groundhog rifle. With an old 6x Swift scope, it shoots sub-1/2" groups all day using 50gr Blitzkings and 20.5gr IMR4198. Wally Hart recommended 21gr but that works better with 50gr V-max bullets. I'd go Hart and be done with it.

https://www.hartbarrels.com/

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Black top road appearance, cracking of the steel ahead of the chamber.

Just shot a lot, don't think salt has anything to do with it.

Time for a new one.

Seems I read somewhere that Hart may have made some of the early 40-X barrels for Remington...

The 40-XB I had (.244). had a very nice barrel, looked more like Hart than Remington thru the Hawkeye. That, of course, doesn't prove a thing.

Does anyone know about that?

DF

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Might be worth a call to the Remington Custom Shop out at Dakota Arms to see if they might have one in house.

M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
The Remington Custom Shop and the Remington home site must be down as the connection times out on both my laptop and phone without loading.

Last edited by mart; 12/10/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Remington Custom Shop and the Remington home site must be down as the connection times out on both my laptop and phone without loading.

Been that way for about a month or whenever that lawsuit was allowed to go forward. As to the barrel, I have a 243 with about 6K through the tube that looks better than yours. It was supposed to be rebarreled this year but another one jumped to the front due to my own stupid moves.
Personally I wouldn’t put another Remmy tube on it Kreiger, Shilen or Bartlein but never another Remmy. Original contour/ length and caliber.
Till then I would just shoot it and enjoy but as too your OP you may get a wallet group once in a while, although they are going to be rare and I really doubt that you are going to be satisfied and more than likely irritated to the point of chucking it all in the trash. BTDT
For your enjoyment, just in front of the throat on a Cooper 21 223 caliber just under 3600 rounds. It’s held up real well IMO.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
M
mart Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
That barrel looks great.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I emailed Shooter's Corner for an estimate. I'm with the slow twist crowd. A fast twist has it place and if I was doing anything other than just group shooting I'd consider a fast twist barrel.

you want 14 twist krieger

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
try some jb paste. seat the bullets out to be .020 off. use lapua brass.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I use I4198 in 5 .222s. you could try BL-2.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,097 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.