Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Had a heck of a hunt with family and friends in North TX. My buddy Roy was able to make it this year and since I was lucky enough to tag out right off the bat, I was able to hunt 4 days with him.

We arrived at camp on a Thursday eve and decided to start hunting right then. While driving in to hunt a river bottom Roy and I got to see 3 nice bucks from the truck, so we were super anxious to get to our spots and begin glassing. I sat on a little knob overlooking a brushy field and Roy sat on a ridge 5-600yds on down. The wind was kind of cool, so I bundled up good, leaned my rifle on the sticks and grabbed my rattle bag. I made a little racket with the bag and maybe a minute later I heard something right behind me, turned and a nice 3.5yo 9pt was eyeball to eyeball with me! Kind of startled me to be honest, that rascal had slipped up to about 15 feet and I just couldn't hear him for the wind. About 30mins later I heard a grunt and knew it had to be close with the wind and about that time a doe blew out of the brush maybe 25yds away with a dandy 18" 8pt hot on her trail. I bet it wasn't 30sec later and I spotted a doe hauling butt across the field below me, so I grabbed the binos and spotted two studs coming in hot!! I grabbed my rifle and followed them, but they wouldn't stop for a shot. Finally the big 10 stopped behind a tree at 175, but no shot! He took off again and stopped behind some brush, but still no shot!! That joker disappeared in the brush and I was sort of in panic mode. I grabbed the rattle bag for the heck of it, tried my best to immitate a fight for a few seconds, threw it down, grabbed my rifle, and you're not going to believe it, but that big rascal left that doe and came running over the hill at 100yds coming right for me! That big rascal ran up there maybe 50-60yds and slammed on the brakes looking right at me! I hammered him in the shoulder, but he took off like nothing happened, so I gave him another up the rear and he slid to a stop. I didn't expect to kill so quickly, but I'll take it any day man. It was AWESOME!!!! Turned out do be a dandy old 10 in the 150s that weighed in at 201lbs and his molars were worn flat.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I killed my buck with a CA RL 30-06 and 130TTSX at 3275.

Now it was time to really enjoy the hunt and help guide my buddy Roy. I think ole Roy just didn't want the excitement to end because that sorry rascal passed up buck after buck for the next 3 days. We saw some dandies and had some intense moments trying to make it happen on a few, but the big boys just kept staying one step ahead of us. We could have sealed the deal on many big 8s, but Roy wanted to hold out and see if we could bump into a giant. Finally on the last morning we spotted an old 8pt chasing a doe down in a brushy bottom, but couldn't get a shot. We found a nice overlook on a ridge and spotted several nice bucks in the bottom below, the largest of which had broke off one side. After 45min or so I looked to the left and the old 8 that had chased the doe through the brush earlier came slipping down the base of the bottom just below us. I told Roy he was coming and he smashed him at about 60yds. Roy made a perfect heart shot and the buck only went about 25yds before tipping over. The 139 Scenar gave one heck of a blood trail. Congrats Roy! It was a blast hunting with you buddy.
Roy killed his buck with a T3 6.5koolaid and 139Scenar at 2840.

My little bro played cat and mouse with an 11pt in some canyons for 2.5days, but he finally got to 175yds after a long trek and sealed the deal:
He shot his buck with a M77 6Rem and 90NAB at 3175.

Dad killed a dandy buck the 3rd day. He saw him trailing a doe at 348yds and put one through the ribs with his Tooley 6Rem and a 95NPT at 3285.

One heck of a hunt and I can't wait to do it again.

Have a good one,

loder

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats to all of you and those are some mighty fine bucks!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Great bunch of bucks for sure. Congrats to you guys. Gotta love that country up there.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
great deer

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cool deer. Congrats to all!!

Memories made are always a good thing.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Congrats to all of you and those are some mighty fine bucks!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by JGRaider
Great bunch of bucks for sure. Congrats to you guys. Gotta love that country up there.

Thanks JG. Yes Sir, it's always a fun time up there.

Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
great deer

Thanks!

Originally Posted by diamondjim
Cool deer. Congrats to all!!

Memories made are always a good thing.

Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great bucks. LOVE that buck Roy got!! Congrats to you all. How do you like the 130 TTSX in that 06?

Last edited by tzone; 12/10/19.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Your family had a great time with some very good bucks! Congratulations big time!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!!!!

Molon Labe
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Congratulations

Thanks!

Originally Posted by StrayDog
Your family had a great time with some very good bucks! Congratulations big time!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by tzone
Great bucks. LOVE that buck Roy got!! Congrats to you all. How do you like the 130 TTSX in that 06?

Thanks! This was my first critter with it in 30-06, but I've killed some with it in 300WM at 3500+ as well. It does really well, not as explosive as say a 150NBT or the like, but it always installs a drain plug in them. The was the closest shot I've made with them to date, great cavity just under entrance, then fairly small channel from then on. May have blown the petals off. I will say the ham shot that came out by the rear of the ribs was pretty nasty.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Congrats on some awesome bucks and a great experience w/ a good friend man that’s awesome!

You’re having a heckofa season man very nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spectacular, congrats on the deer gentlemen.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by efw
Congrats on some awesome bucks and a great experience w/ a good friend man that’s awesome!

You’re having a heckofa season man very nice.

Thanks man! I'm very happy with the way the season has gone. It certainly doesn't happen every year, so much welcomed once in a while.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by roundoak
Spectacular, congrats on the deer gentlemen.

Thanks man!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great stuff! Super bucks!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, whitetail trip for the books!

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Guys I can tell u it was a blast! Had an awesome time with Ronny and his family! Can’t wait to get back and do it again!

Roy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great bucks and story!

What part of North Texas?

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by GregW
Great stuff! Super bucks!

Thanks

Originally Posted by broomd
Wow, whitetail trip for the books!

Heck yeah man, they don't all turn out like that for sure. Definitely one we wont forget.

Originally Posted by Brazos
Great bucks and story!

What part of North Texas?

Thanks! In the Pandhandle up close to OK.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
655 members (12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 76 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,612
Posts18,398,407
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.