Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by codybrown
Originally Posted by eaglemountainman
As others have stated, Montanas in 25-06 are becoming very hard to locate. You might want to bid on the one on GB. There's about 10 hrs left, but I see there's at least one bid so far.

The original price started at $1050 and he just dropped it yesterday to $900. Sometime overnight someone placed a bid on it. I've been watching it all along and wish it had a "buy it now" price on it. I plan on bidding on it as it gets closer to ending time, hopefully I can get it for a decent price. There's also new 280AI on gunbroker for $1100 which are very tempting. When you factor in the free shipping on those ones it's an even better deal. Even paying the $900 starting bid and $40 shipping, that puts you within $150 of a new rifle.

One can usually PM the seller and make an offer.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by sidepass
As others have stated, Montanas in 25-06 are becoming very hard to locate. You might want to bid on the one on GB. There's about 10 hrs left, but I see there's at least one bid so far.

The original price started at $1050 and he just dropped it yesterday to $900. Sometime overnight someone placed a bid on it. I've been watching it all along and wish it had a "buy it now" price on it. I plan on bidding on it as it gets closer to ending time, hopefully I can get it for a decent price. There's also new 280AI on gunbroker for $1100 which are very tempting. When you factor in the free shipping on those ones it's an even better deal. Even paying the $900 starting bid and $40 shipping, that puts you within $150 of a new rifle.

That has yet to work in my personal experience. But, maybe my offers have been too low or even offensive. The auction in question also has an active bidder.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass

That has yet to work in my personal experience. But, maybe my offers have been too low or even offensive. The auction in question also has an active bidder.

Yea...if there's a bid and no reserve, it's already basically sold. The only question now is if it will sell for more than the minimum bid.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think the key in finding something you want is to not be in a huge hurry. Bid on what's there. Don't overpay for it. If you don't get it, slum another good-deal Montana or Forbes or Fieldcraft in whatever cartridge until you find a good deal on what you really want and trip the one that wasn't your first choice.

The Fieldcrafts in 6mm CM and 6x55 and 243 and 22-250 that recently sold for $1150 were the deals of the century, I think.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thinking about buying a lightweight rifle, probably chambered in 25-06 or 280/280AI. The Kimber Montana and Subalpine both caught my eye. Any other options out there with a $1500 price tag or lower? I don't have any experience with Kimber rifles, but I'm assuming that they're fairly accurate for the price you're paying?

Edit: I have also looked at the Weatherby ultralight models

Probably hard to beat this...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14264095/1

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a Kimber in 308 that is 6 1/4 lbs scoped. Have some McMillan Edge stocked 70's and one 700 that range between 7-7 3/4 lbs scoped. But if I had to do it over again I'd just buy Tikka's in the cartridges I want and save the money for something else. You can keep weight just over 7 lbs scoped if you pick the scope carefully, or easily keep it under 8 lbs with a huge scope on one. And I doubt you'll find anything more accurate.

The 6lb Kimber is nice, but I've come to the conclusion that 7 1/2 lbs is light enough and I shoot something at that weight better regardless of the rifles potential.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Yea...if there's a bid and no reserve, it's already basically sold. The only question now is if it will sell for more than the minimum bid.

Don't bet on that! I have seen many sellers have someone bid on their stuff so that it doesn't sell at a price they are not happy with! There is a seller on GB that does it a lot. One time he had in the pictures the serial number and reused the same pictures.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by 257heaven

Don't bet on that! I have seen many sellers have someone bid on their stuff so that it doesn't sell at a price they are not happy with! There is a seller on GB that does it a lot. One time he had in the pictures the serial number and reused the same pictures.

Yeah, i suspect this happens a lot.....Hb

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well, I won the auction tonight, so I'll have a Kimber Montana in 25-06 coming my way for $945 shipped. Hopefully it shoots as well as it looks and I'll be satisfied with it. I'll post up some pictures once I get it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Congratulations! It will be a great gun for you. What scope will you use? Keep us posted on how it shoots.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I also have to throw a shoutout to th82457 for giving me a hand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yea....that's a good price on a great rifle. You'll enjoy that.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
In your choice of 25 /06 or a 280 or 280 Ai your kind of doing the apples/oranges thing. In 25/06 you are looking at a .257" bullet range from 85gr to 120gr bullet. I don't know where you hunt or what you hunt, but you have a much larger range of bullet weight with the .280 / 284" 7mm bullet. We are looking at a range of bullet weight from 120gr up to 175gr. I have a Weatherby Mark V UL in 280 Rem/ 284" / 7mm that loves 140gr Accu Bonds sitting on top of 54gr of Reloader 19. (sub MOA 3 shot 100yd groups) I recently purchased a Kimber Montana in .280 AI. Why? Damned if I know. I have worked up some loads for it, but have not had a chance to go to the range. If you chose to go with the 280 AI I hope that you reload. Get some Nosler brass, and try a variety of loads. The 280 AI tailor made's are pretty pricey. Keep in mine that these light weights are mint as hunting rifles, not bench rest guns. To add to your search, don't rule out the Tikka T3x, my son has one in .270 Win and he uses tailor made Hornady 130gr SST Superformance rounds, and most of his deer kills are DRT. Good luck in finding the right rifle that meats your needs. P.S. It is heavy but the Win Extreme Weather is a fine rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally.....I'd stick an 80 Gr. TTSX or a 100 Gr. TTSX in a 25-06 and go kill whatever I wanted.

And the 110 Accubonds ain't bad, either.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Walked home with this today.........literally, was walking my 2.5 year old in the stroller and 6 year old home from 1st grade.

Lucky Number Tuesday at the local "swings both ways Mart" really paid off this time.

Hard to beat $650
I don't like plastic, but it's "for the 6 year old"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[img]https://i.imgur.com/TJXv20W.jpg?1[/img]

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I have a couple of 25-06's already and really love the caliber. I don't have anything light though as that's what I was looking for. The 25-06 was my first choice, with the 280AI being a close 2nd. The majority of the time the rifle will be used in a combination of woods and fields with the longest shot being about 320 yards. I do reload, but am not currently set up for and AI cartridges.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by screaminweasil
Walked home with this today.........literally, was walking my 2.5 year old in the stroller and 6 year old home from 1st grade.

Lucky Number Tuesday at the local "swings both ways Mart" really paid off this time.

Hard to beat $650

I looked at the Hunter versions, but I really didn't like the feel of the stocks. That's a hell of a nice rifle for a kid, you're going to spoil him with his first deer rifle.Exactly what every good dad should do. I'm still watching for a good 1st deer rifle for my 3 year old.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by screaminweasil

Hard to beat $650

I looked at the Hunter versions, but I really didn't like the feel of the stocks. That's a hell of a nice rifle for a kid, you're going to spoil him with his first deer rifle.Exactly what every good dad should do. I'm still watching for a good 1st deer rifle for my 3 year old.

Getting rid of the Howa Alpines in 243, so "needed" something else......
I agree, the plastic hunter stock is not my cup of tea, but I wont have to worry about him scratching it up, and for $650.....no brainer in 6.5 manbunn.

Hey that 25-06 Montana you scored is going to be sweet, congrats!!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Well, I won the auction tonight, so I'll have a Kimber Montana in 25-06 coming my way for $945 shipped. Hopefully it shoots as well as it looks and I'll be satisfied with it. I'll post up some pictures once I get it.

Hey, good for you man!! You're gonna like that gun. Put some nice glass on it and report back how it shoots. Congratulations!

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Congratulations on your new rifle, I think you’re going to love it. I looked at that one too, but didn’t want to bid it up as I knew you were interested and already bid on it. There will be others. Thinking about selling my 280 Ackley Montana and trying one of the new Weatherby Backcountry rifles in the same caliber just for kicks (I know, crazy).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

145 members (257wthbylover, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 21 invisible), 1,862 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,506
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.