J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Clinton should be sued, then hung.

Bofum.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/10/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A guy I worked (LEO)with had served in the Navy. When he was going through firearms training he had no clue as to what was the muzzle or magazine of his freshly issued Glock 22. Even after his mandatory classroom training to familiarize himself with his Glock.
At the range we got him up and running. I asked him what type of weapon(s) was he trained on in the Navy. His response “I never fired a gun in the Navy”. I thought he was just fooling around. He told me that he never fired any weapon in the Navy and that included basic training.
I was floored.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
In the 1983 truck bombing of the Marine Barracks in Beirut that killed 221 marines the sentries of the compound were standing guard with unloaded weapons, they couldn’t do anything but watch the truck drive right by.

In the late 90’s I was stationed on a Naval Air Station and they switched to rent a cops for base security.

In my opinion the poor security on bases comes from an extremely risk adverse mentality in the leadership. If some PFC has a negligent discharge then the base CO will most likely get relieved of duty after the investigation so they solve the problem by having them unarmed or an empty weapon. They’re betting on the come that nothing is going to happen, until it does. Civilian cops have legal protection which allows them a pass for screw ups on the job, qualified immunity it’s called. The military doesn’t have that so a case of a sentry getting over zealous and shooting at somebody in a judgement error has repercussions all the way up the chain of command. A base commander is usually an O-6 that’s marking time I while he’s waiting to pin on a star so he doesn’t want any scandals on his watch. One way he ensures that is to disarm the guards. The security at most stateside bases now are basically traffic directors.

This post somes it up rather precisely IMO.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I worked the gates and other on-base posts at Camp Pendleton in late 1971 or early 1972 as an MP. While on duty I carried a 1911A1 with one mag and 5 bullets. Checked it out and back in at the Provost Marshal armory going on and off duty. You had better come back off your duty post with 5 rounds. Our Sergeant kept a stash of ammo, so if you worked one of the posts out in the boondocks and cranked off a round at a coyote, he’d give you a replacement round. I was a PFC or Lance Corporal back then.

I remember that we did have a round chambered, since we had to clear the weapon upon return to the armory.

Only nervous moment we ever had was when a PX or whatever got robbed and a car with armed robbers was heading toward our gate. I was wishing for more than 5 rounds at the time. They didn’t make it to our gate.

I get the feeling that most of the Stateside military doesn’t get much weapon training these days. A granddaughter married a Captain in the Army Rangers, and they came to visit, and the guy was not a very good shot. He said they don’t shoot much. I’m thinking the NCO’s can shoot, but the officers drink coffee.

Another young lady brought her fiancé to visit, and he was with SWAT in a big city. He was impressive. He outshot me with just about every rifle and handgun I have. That guy could shoot. I guess they practice.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I guess they figure a gun-free zone also applies to guards as well.

So insane. Reminds me of the Marines, during the Beirut truck bombing, having been required to carry unloaded M-16 rifles to guard their base of operations in 1984.

IC B2

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow, issued nightsticks and flashlights.

What, no brass knuckles?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
WTF. I walked guard duty with a loaded M14

Me too. And a m9

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
in the 70's, I was supposed to carry a completely unloaded .45, guarding nuke misses that were "not' in S korea. I was 150 miles from one of the "hottest" borders in the world, and if somebody had made a scene, we could have been unable to deny that we had the nukes there.Nobody's M15 was loaded, either. The mags were full of sand and stuffed sideways into the pouches (20 rders) cause you could get in one more mag that way. It would tear out your fingernails to extract a mag, I am not kidding! Something like melting the warheads by dousing the solid rocked fuel bodies with diesel fuel and setting them alight would have caused major problems for the US, and could easily have been done. Some of my buddies were much closer to the DMZ and said the same thing. I put the mag in the 1911 and left the chamber empty cause I was constantly working on my draws, mag swaps, dryfiring and cycling the slide. I was a dog handler at an ADA Nike Hercules site, Brigade HQ was at Camp Humphries, K6. Dog handlers work only at night, and we had no lifers around. at 9 pm, the Katusa on guard at the gate to the launcher site had no key to let anyone in. All he could do was call the Green Ready room and the SOG would drive a jeep down there and let in any officers, etc, who he personally knew (and nobody else) We'd tie up the dogs and go to sleep. It was the same all over Korea. They are more afraid of negligent firings, and nut-jobs/drunks shooting someone than they are enemy attacks. My partner (I was not with him) managed to put a .45 rd down his leg one night. He was back on crutches the next day and was fine in a month or so. I know of another such .45 case, same result. I also know of a couple of .22 hits to the legs, which almost ruined guy's lives. took them many months to be able to walk right again..

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by satir
in the 70's, I was supposed to carry a completely unloaded .45, guarding nuke misses that were "not' in S korea. I was 150 miles from one of the "hottest" borders in the world, and if somebody had made a scene, we could have been unable to deny that we had the nukes there.Nobody's M15 was loaded, either. The mags were full of sand and stuffed sideways into the pouches (20 rders) cause you could get in one more mag that way. It would tear out your fingernails to extract a mag, I am not kidding! Something like melting the warheads by dousing the solid rocked fuel bodies with diesel fuel and setting them alight would have caused major problems for the US, and could easily have been done. Some of my buddies were much closer to the DMZ and said the same thing. I
put the mag in the 1911 and left the chamber empty cause I was constantly working on my draws, mag swaps, dryfiring and cycling the slide. I was a dog handler at an ADA Nike Hercules site, Brigade HQ was at Camp Humphries, K6. Dog handlers work only at night, and we had no lifers around. at 9 pm, the Katusa on guard at the gate to the launcher site had no key to let anyone in. All he could do was call the Green Ready room and the SOG would drive a jeep down there and let in any officers, etc, who he personally knew (and nobody else) We'd tie up the dogs and go to sleep. It was the same all over Korea. They are more afraid of negligent firings, and nut-jobs/drunks shooting someone than they are enemy attacks. My partner (I was not with him) managed to put a .45 rd down his leg one night. He was back on crutches the next day and was fine in a month or so. I know of another such .45 case, same result. I also know of a couple of .22 hits to the legs, which almost ruined guy's lives. took them many months to be able to walk right again..

Hey, that is interesting.

Some day you are going to make a blow-up doll very lucky.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by RMerta
A guy I worked (LEO)with had served in the Navy. When he was going through firearms training he had no clue as to what was the muzzle or magazine of his freshly issued Glock 22. Even after his mandatory classroom training to familiarize himself with his Glock.
At the range we got him up and running. I asked him what type of weapon(s) was he trained on in the Navy. His response “I never fired a gun in the Navy”. I thought he was just fooling around. He told me that he never fired any weapon in the Navy and that included basic training.
I was floored.

I don`t know where he went through basic,but at Great Lakes we were trained with 1911A1s and Garands.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Nonsense. This is my business and ALL Navy Civilian Guards and Master At Arms folks are armed with an M4 with three 40 round mags and an M9 with three fifteen round mags. Midshipman Watson was standing the Quarterdeck Watch (probably) at building 633 (Naval Aviation Schools Command) which is an unarmed post.

So, Jorge, do you know how many armed personnel were close to the building at the time of the attack?

If none, then why so?

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by satir
in the 70's, I was supposed to carry a completely unloaded .45, guarding nuke misses that were "not' in S korea. I was 150 miles from one of the "hottest" borders in the world, and if somebody had made a scene, we could have been unable to deny that we had the nukes there.Nobody's M15 was loaded, either. The mags were full of sand and stuffed sideways into the pouches (20 rders) cause you could get in one more mag that way. It would tear out your fingernails to extract a mag, I am not kidding! Something like melting the warheads by dousing the solid rocked fuel bodies with diesel fuel and setting them alight would have caused major problems for the US, and could easily have been done. Some of my buddies were much closer to the DMZ and said the same thing. I put the mag in the 1911 and left the chamber empty cause I was constantly working on my draws, mag swaps, dryfiring and cycling the slide. I was a dog handler at an ADA Nike Hercules site, Brigade HQ was at Camp Humphries, K6. Dog handlers work only at night, and we had no lifers around. at 9 pm, the Katusa on guard at the gate to the launcher site had no key to let anyone in. All he could do was call the Green Ready room and the SOG would drive a jeep down there and let in any officers, etc, who he personally knew (and nobody else) We'd tie up the dogs and go to sleep. It was the same all over Korea. They are more afraid of negligent firings, and nut-jobs/drunks shooting someone than they are enemy attacks. My partner (I was not with him) managed to put a .45 rd down his leg one night. He was back on crutches the next day and was fine in a month or so. I know of another such .45 case, same result. I also know of a couple of .22 hits to the legs, which almost ruined guy's lives. took them many months to be able to walk right again..

Well, get back in your time capsule, Rambo-light. Today not only are all armed personnel ordered to carry in Condition One, but ROEs have been opened up, allowing for much greater flexibility.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Nonsense. This is my business and ALL Navy Civilian Guards and Master At Arms folks are armed with an M4 with three 40 round mags and an M9 with three fifteen round mags. Midshipman Watson was standing the Quarterdeck Watch (probably) at building 633 (Naval Aviation Schools Command) which is an unarmed post.

So, Jorge, do you know how many armed personnel were close to the building at the time of the attack?

If none, then why so?

MM

I do not. This much I can tell you. Police HQ is about a quarter mile away and there at least three mobile patrols plus a Watch Commander, all within three to five minutes from anywhere on base and in my view, they FAILED miserably.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
In the AF the guards are armed. This makes no sense why the Navy doesn't do that.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ctsmith: Thanks for that link/info!
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NAS Pensacola has a history of being firearm friendly. When I was stationed there back in the early 1990s, you could advertise your personal firearms for sale in the base newspaper. I bought my 1974 Walther PP from a guy in base housing. Saw his ad in the base paper, called him, then drove over and picked it up, cash and carry. No paperwork, no muss, no fuss. But we were both red-blooded Americans, so there was never any problem. The Clinton's put a stop to that however. Lots of communists and foreigners roaming about now. Everyone is at risk. Just think about all the murders of our GIs committed in Afghanistan by "supposed" friendly muzzies.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was in the AF for almost 6 years before I had any sort of firearms training with live fire. In Basic Training, we were introduced to the M1 Carbine and spent a rainy day in the barracks learning to strip and reassemble, memorize parts of the carbine, etc. We were supposed to go to the range for a day to fire, but were in the tail end of a huge tropical storm, entire base was flooded, real gully washer so range day was cancelled. In 1964 I was in Japan and got a 6 month TDY to Thailand and Laos so we fired the M1 Carbine before going. Got down there and found that we absolutely could NOT have any firearms whatsoever, some treaty thing.

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jnyork
I was in the AF for almost 6 years before I had any sort of firearms training with live fire. In Basic Training, we were introduced to the M1 Carbine and spent a rainy day in the barracks learning to strip and reassemble, memorize parts of the carbine, etc. We were supposed to go to the range for a day to fire, but were in the tail end of a huge tropical storm, entire base was flooded, real gully washer so range day was cancelled. In 1964 I was in Japan and got a 6 month TDY to Thailand and Laos so we fired the M1 Carbine before going. Got down there and found that we absolutely could NOT have any firearms whatsoever, some treaty thing.

Holy crap!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by MILES58
I do not remember ever standing a watch without strapping on a 1911 45 with two 7 round magazines and accounting for every bullet when I accepted the watch and when I was relieved. Watch meant quarterdeck watch in port and prior to E4 it meant walking a post guarding a facility of some sort.

Not that the 45 was going to save my ass. I fired dozens of them and most were less precise than flinging rocks. For most of my time my standard plan of action should I need to use that thing was to get as close as possible and then shoot until I was out of bullets and lastly to fling the damn 45 as hard as I could at the person I was shooting at and then run for help.

Kind of embarrassing, if I may be so bold as to say.

Those were the sorriest excuse for weapons I ever saw. At one base the CO wanted to start a pistol team for quasi local competition with other bases. They decided I was the guy who would be best to do it. They gave me boxes (big cases that oranges got shipped in) full of 1911s. Couldn't hardly lift the damn boxes. Cases and cases of ammo. I spent a few days trying to find enough of them to make a team's worth. We had no armorer. We didn't even have a gunners mate. We did not have a machine shop I could use. I had to soak a bunch of the damn things in diesel fuel to get them to where they could be shot for testing. Not a one of them was accurate enough for competition, and most couldn't hit paper at 25 feet. If I could have found 10 that were sort of accurate I could have taken them into town where I knew a gunsmith with the tools get them on paper. I never did fire any of the watch duty 1911s I carried, but based on what those orange boxes showed me I sure as hell wasn't going to bet anything on them firing much less accurately.

Of all the weapons the USN gave me to shoot, I liked only three. M1s and Model 12s. Both were dependable and both were accurate enough for their purposes. 1922 Springfields were uniformly very accurate and I would gladly have bought one if I could have.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Y'all talking about in peacetime military not being exposed much to small arms training, I've got a better story than that. My father joined the navy in 1942. He spent his time until discharged in 1945 in the Pacific. In 1944 and 45 a good bit of time was on Jap contested islands repairing landing craft. He said that they were rushed through boot camp in San Diego so fast that small arms training was skipped entirely. He never had a single day of rifle or pistol training, not even drill. When he became a petty officer and had watch duty, he was issued a .45 for the watch and told how to load and fire it, but never had any practice at all. However, he was trained on 20 mm, 40 mm, and 3 in. guns. I have always thought that very odd.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

579 members (19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 1,985 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,234
Posts18,447,787
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.