Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I have a set of Toyo Open Country load range E tires LT295/65R20 on my 2005 Dodge 2500. They are supposed to be a 65k mile tire and it looks like they might be but they are DANGEROUS on wet pavement. My SIL has Toyo Open Country tires on his Chevy and Ford pickups and has the same problems on wet pavement. Michelin has a set just my Toyo tires like these that I'll probably try when I wear these out.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had good luck with hancook and cooper AT's. I'm trying some procomp at's on my 2500, not sure on those yet. I never get more than 30k a set out of any of them, the procomps were at least cheap.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have BFG AT 315/70/17 on my jeep wrangler that is parked during the winter because I use my 08 Ram for plowing. I have less than 13000 on the Jeep and tires but they are weather checked between the tread already,thinking because it's not driven in the winter months. My Toyota I had in 2002-20012 had BFG AT on them the entire time,couldn't wear them out. My Ram has good year duri-grip and they are ok but not great,actually suck plowing snow at times.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Duratracs

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Joken2
Interesting video. Acoustics, otherwise known as highway howlers or not.
Slum
Chinese, but made with American labor

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CCCC
Good info flowing here - thanks a lot. Any others?

Local tire shop I use (one of the biggest in the state) highly recommended Sumitomos. Put a set on a drw f350 and my 2500 dodge megacab this year.

Shop had all their service trucks shod with sumitomos.

Work well in snow and ok in mud. Fair priced.

Montana MOFO
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a set of Falcon Wildpeaks- 10 ply. They are the best winter tire I have ever owned. Just put a set on my truck to get me through until May.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last three sets we have bought have been Falken Wildpeak AT3. They are my goto tire for now.

This after having used BFG AT's, Goodyear wrangler, and Coopers. Never tried Hancook.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BFG KO2's = run away from these 83 miles to work and back on blacktop, wore the rear rubber in 1/2 in 3 months frown went back to Sam's club and they gave me 2 new tires . Sold them off fast , took the lost and went back to coopers.....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Got a set of the Sumitomo encounter AT's, 10 ply, absolutely love them. Would buy them again in a heart beat. Sumitomo has other brands just like every other tire company out there. The Falken Wildpeak AT3 is basically the same tire with a little difference in the treat pattern and a slightly less millage warranty.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by hanco
I have BF Goodrich. They last a long time, 70,000 miles.

This. Best tire made for rough country, oil field cliche, mesquite, grease wood, no road cross country and city and hwy driving. Expect 70,000.

The only tire better for off road has steel sidewalls.

Last edited by jaguartx; 12/10/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple of sets of Cooper tires on my Dodge Ram 2500 because Ali gives me a good deal on them.

They claim they'll last 35k miles but they don't even come close to that kind of mileage before they're balding.

I'm paying attention to this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have BF Goodrich. They last a long time, 70,000 miles

The original tires on my F350 and their mileage matched yours. Not found anything that can do more than half of that.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/11/19.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a set of Coopers for my Tundra after seeing my neighbor friend use a set on his farm truck for years. To say he neglects brush control in his pastures would be severely understating it. They are covered in honey locust thorns. We ride the farm several days a week looking for hogs. He bought road hazard coverage and doesn't worry about driving over thorns and lots of them. In several years now he hasn't gotten a puncture. I would have figured one trip and he'd be on four flats but it hasn't happened yet. But I'm not driving my tires over them. We go in his truck if we are getting off the roads.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Tires are like hunting boots. Good ones are worth the extra coin. Depending on what you're doing with it you may buy for ride quality or mileage, where I always go for traction and good sidewalls. Just because a tire works for one doesn't make it good for you. I have used a lot of Coopers, BFG, but I put some Mickey Thompson MTZ's on my 1 ton for winter, and have used some Goodyears also but was unimpressed until the DuraTrac.

Last edited by BigNate; 12/10/19.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Had a set of cooper atp’s on a diesel 2500 crew cab. I liked them until I had a broken belt failure and premature wear. Running a set of bfg ko2’s now. So far they are great, but I would have said the same thing about the coopers at the same mileage. One plus is a replacement bfg is available most anywhere that sells tires. The cooper is a discount tire exclusive. The bfg’s win in the looks department...if that matters to you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
If you aren't going to be in significant mud, the Hankook Dyanpro AT-M is a great tire.

This is right here Paul....

running sets of them on my Pilot and 4 Runner.... getting great wear out of them... lasting a long time...
plus no tires going bad to slipped belts etc...

If you want to stay with Arizona, Discount Tire Direct.. I do the commercial guys.. don't know if better price, but they are $70/ $80 each cheaper than buying them from one of their local stores....

you can also order the same tires thru Walmart tires on line.. similar prices...

either way, you can take them down to a local Walmart and get them mounted and balanced..

if ordered thru Wally World, they mount them free and road hazard is an extra $12 per tire...

if ordered thru Discount Tire Direct, for $15 per tire, they will give you a ( literal) no questions asked replacement...

I've had several tires, non replaceable due to road hazard... called them and they just shipped me a new one...

I run 245/70/16s and those ran me about $104 apiece the last time I ordered a couple....replacing the back ones off the Pilot...which had 106,000 miles on them..
and they still had tread on them... if it wasn't due to winter, and all the Oregon Wet Weather, I would have left them on the vehicle, as they still have decent tread left
instead they are now regulated to Spare Tire Service...

I took these over to the Comm College, at the Automotive program I am a volunteer for... so I mounted them and balanced them over there myself on some brand new John Beam computerized balancer, and mounted them on a real full feature machine.... so that cost me nothing....

did the same thing for winter tires for the Camry... $75 per tire, $15 for road hazard replacement, and then mounted and balanced them over at the college..

Hope this finds your health doing well Paul.... and Merry Christmas to you, Maddie and the rest of your family....

cheers and best regards
john chr/ seafire

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One thing about the bfg’s, they make a DT version in select sizes that is not 3 peak mountain rated but is made to last a lot longer under a heavy truck. Make sure you know what version you are getting.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I put four Kelly Edge AT 265/75R16 load range E tires on my 06 Duramax for $650 out the door. I got a 10% military discount or it would have been over $700. They aren't the most aggressive tire, but so far they provide a good and relatively quiet ride. If I get 2-2.5 years out of them I'll be happy, I drive a lot of dirt roads and pastures with my pickups so I never ge close to the mileage.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by CCCC
Even though we have a bunch of trucks - all about 50 years old except two - my recent tire buying experience has been limited to one 20 year old big Dodge, and have been running a set of Cooper ATs on it for quite a while.

Now am needing tires for a recently acquired 15 year-old Chev 3/4 ton 4wd and don't know much about the brands/prices being quoted by a smaller independent local tire shop. I want to support the local business if possible. There must be a ton of good info from guys at this site that could be helpful for me and probably a lot of others here.

So, if you have experience with all-terrain tread Hankook, Toyo or Sumitomo Load Range "E" (10 ply and 16 inch probably 245/75R) I would appreciate any assessment. If you are very strong on another brand in this type, would like to hear why.

As for price including mount/balance and heavy local tax, how does about $900 out the door sound? The Sumitomo would be about $740.

Thanks for any advice.

Why not stick with the Coopers? On a 3/4 ton anything it will be hard to find a "magic" tire that gets great traction and mileage. I'm sure you know this, but on a heavy truck you get one or the other, never both. I run the Cooper AT3 XLT and they do just as good or better than anything else I see or hear about. Over the years I've tried Mastercraft (owned by Cooper), Kelly and Goodyear, but they all wear about the same. Besides, Hankook is a Korean company and Cooper is based in Ohio. I damn sure wouldn't be sending any of my American dollars to Korea....

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,980 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.