Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I confess to not knowing much about muzzleloaders. I bought a T/C Northwest Explorer so I can hunt late season muzzleloader season. I've shot a few traditional ones, and a Knight Disc previously but that doesn't mean much. We have to use percussion caps & loose powder. I have powerbelt bullets, loose 777, and caps. I have a starter, and the rifle has it's rod I'm wondering about cleaning, do I need to lube the bullets? what with if I do? Do you bring cleaning patches in the field? What ever else I should be asking?

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A couple of things to consider.
1. Wooden rods can and do break. They look nice, but that's no help in the field! If you have a wood rod I'd recommnend upgrading to a delrin (spelling?) rod. Strong, flexible. Not sure what the t/c comes with.

2. The T/C manual on page 34 has a pretty good instruction on field cleaing. You could go with that with no problem, although they specifically mention black and Pyrodex and not 777. For 777, I just use pre-lubed "Wonder Lube" patches as follows in the filed about every other shot or three you must address the crud ring 777 can leave: Brush a few strokes and twist at the bottomm of barrel, WL cleaning patch, WL cleaning patch, and then a regular dry patch. Good to go. There are a gazillion ways but mine works, too. Clean it good at home.

3. I don't beileve you need to lube powerbelt bullets, but I've never shot them. I shoot round balls out of my Hawken and sabot/pistol bullets out of my in-line.

4. Don't forget a spare nipple and tools to replace it. Nipple pick, etc.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
No need to lube Powerbelts. However,don't try to drive them to fast velocity wise. If yours is a 50 cal, a 295 gr Powerbelt and 90 grs of powder is quite sufficient. They are still only pure lead ,but with a copper flashing.

One thing to remember with Pyrodex or 777, it does degrade over time.Unless you are in an extremley dry climate, . I went back to black powder after using either of them awhile. It does not look like your rifle can be used withBH209,a black powder substitute that does not
degrade.

No matter the powder,I always carry a few wet and dry patches with me while hunting. After firing, I always run a wet patch and then a few dry patches before reloading. Contrary to what others may say, ease of loading after firing may not happen.

I also always clean my rifle if it was fired that day using black powder, 777 or Pyrodex .

TC has some kits that include a bullet jag for pulling bullets, spud, mop and patch jag in case a patch gets hung up down in the bore.Good thing to carry while hunting.Also some speed loaders are convenient

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
One question #10 &#11 caps look to be the same size, what's the difference? My rod is aluminum but no jags or brush. I was using cleaning stuff for my shotguns.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your shotgun clean kit is fine. A brush is a brush as long as it fits ok. If I recall, a 20 gauge swab is a fairly good fit for my .54 Hawken but not sure about a 50 cal.

I've often wondered the same about the caps. Pick one size and brand and stick with it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BigNate
One question #10 &#11 caps look to be the same size, what's the difference? My rod is aluminum but no jags or brush. I was using cleaning stuff for my shotguns.

size ten caps are smaller than size eleven. The nipple on most rifles take a #11. #10 caps are usually needed for revolvers but my Navy arms 12 gauge double takes #10. You can bend the skirt on a size 11 cap and it will work on a size 10 nipple but not the other way around.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That T/C NW edition is a 1-48 twist. You could have done better with a different NW edition rifle using a 1-28 twist if you want to shoot conicals. A 1-48 will limit your selection a great deal and the damn thing still has the messed up T/C QLA. When you get tired of fighting with it go grab a Optima V2 NW edition. You can also convert it back to 209s for hunting normal seasons too.
https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/rifles/cva-optimatm-v2-northwest-legal.html

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I looked at these I think, but the web page doesn't give twist rate. I do like the tool-less breech plug though.

Samuel Colt.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Just took a gander at the Northwest Explorer. To me, it looks like an Omega Z5. Yes, with a 1:48 twist you are limited to specific bullet types. Patched Round Balls, Maxiballs, etc. I have some PRBs and maxiballs that you are welcome to.PM me your address and I will ship them out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.