Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
domit Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
why do people never seem to aim at the top of the neck were the shoulders and neck come together when an animal is facing head on with head down? aside from maby loosing a bit of meat I think it is a for sure kill shot. what say all?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If the animal is facing direct toward you, head down grazing, then a shot directly into the spine would be viable. You wouldn't want it too high, and risk doing no more than grazing the top of the spine, so you want to come down a bit from the "top" of the neck (as seen from this angle). I've taken that shot. I've also put them into the spine in the back of the neck as the animal faces or runs away with its head up. The actual target is narrow though, either from front or rear, and from front on you may be better off waiting for the animal to put its head up and either putting it into the base of the neck from underneath, or lower into the aorta above the heart.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I would try to visualize the top of the heart and aim for that... if it hits the spine on the way in, that’s great but if it doesn’t hit the spine, I still have the bullet going for the right spot.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by domit
why do people never seem to aim at the top of the neck were the shoulders and neck come together when an animal is facing head on with head down? aside from maby loosing a bit of meat I think it is a for sure kill shot. what say all?

I have made 2 or 3 shots with the animal facing me, shot all of them in the base of the neck or the top of the chest. IIRC, all dropped in their tracks. This with a traditional muzzleloader firing round ball.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Maybe because that's a piss poor angle for a shot.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Snyper

Maybe because that's a piss poor angle for a shot.

agreed x2

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shots of desperation? Why not wait a few seconds for a different opportunity? A deer with its head down as you describe doesn't sound to be in panic mode.

Are you the one in panic mode?

Ever spent 5,10,15 minutes watching a buck before even deciding to shoot...or letting it walk?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by slumlord
Shots of desperation? Why not wait a few seconds for a different opportunity? A deer with its head down as you describe doesn't sound to be in panic mode.

Are you the one in panic mode?

Ever spent 5,10,15 minutes watching a buck before even deciding to shoot...or letting it walk?

Yep.

Give them a second. When they raise the head, on a close shot, shoot 'em at the base of the skull where it meets the neck. If it's at distance, you have the a large drop zone from the top of head to the chest.

Neck shot = DRT, so it's one of my favorite shots.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 12/10/19.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.