Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I have an opportunity to buy an unfired stainless/brown laminate for a fair price. I've read that the Rugers were hard to get shooting accurately.

Anyone here own one? Would it be worth buying for a fox/coyote rifle?

BP-B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Yep!

Send it to Randy at CPC. You won't regret it.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by WTM45
Yep!

What does he do to it?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I have a Browning.. I love the Hornet, haven't shot it much for several years.. I think you will enjoy it...

Molon Labe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by longshot3
Yep!

What does he do to it?

Whatever you want done!
Actually, he does what should have been done at the factory.
Set back barrels, re-cut chambers, K the chamber, cut tube and re-crown, tighten up sloppy bolts, set correct headspace....

http://ct-precision.com/

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy it, shoot it and figure out if it needs help. Might not. Friend of mine had one that made him nutz. Wouldn't shoot he said. Looked it over, the trigger was horrible. Ordered an aftermarket replacement, installed it and it runs MOA +/- a small fraction with factory ammo.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yep!

What does he do to it?

Whatever you want done!
Actually, he does what should have been done at the factory.
Set back barrels, re-cut chambers, K the chamber, cut tube and re-crown, tighten up sloppy bolts, set correct headspace....

http://ct-precision.com/

Jeeze, if it needs that much done from new, I'll just get a Savage!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Ruger is WAY better, and Randy is the source of any problem resolution.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a couple Ruger 22h rifles, they were poor in the accuracy department. Bought a Ruger 17h six months ago, same story, poor accuracy. Had it re barreled, trigger job, shimmed the bolt glass bedded, and floated the barrel. It’s reasonably accurate now, after a whole lot of expense.
I had a Browning A bolt 22h, and it was far more accurate than the Rugers.
Currently own two Anschutz 22h rifles, a sporter, and a heavy barrel. Both are very accurate.
In my case, I’d have been lots of money ahead if I hadn’t bought the Rugers and poured lots of extra money in them. I should have bought accurate guns in the first place.

NRA Patron
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Got same gun worked over by cpc, k-hornet. Dayton-traister trigger. Was picky but just sensitive to seating depth. Little incremental differences in powder charges show also. Its a fun little rifle for sure

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Good info here. I've got a few things to think about.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one... punched K-Hornet and threaded for a suppressor... very fun to shoot and accurate...

Public landowner...
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
If you want an off-the-shelf rifle almost guaranteed to be a great shooter you could pick up a CZ527 in 22H. I've got one, the American version, in 22 Hornet and it is a fantastic little rifle. Supremely accurate, fantastic set trigger, compact size for easy carrying in the field, etc. No gunsmithing required!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Aspencreek
If you want an off-the-shelf rifle almost guaranteed to be a great shooter you could pick up a CZ527 in 22H. I've got one, the American version, in 22 Hornet and it is a fantastic little rifle. Supremely accurate, fantastic set trigger, compact size for easy carrying in the field, etc. No gunsmithing required!

I might just go this way. For about the same money, without having to do an extra $200 for barrel work.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have the exact rifle you mentioned and have owned it for almost 20yrs. I’ve killed about every critter imaginable with it. It’s my most used rifle and it is a blast to shoot! It’s definitely been a shooter. I’d love to be buried with it in my hands but that wouldn’t be fair to my son! Lol. 40gr vmax bullet with a good dose of lil’ gun powder and a small pistol primer and you are going to have some fun!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Had a Ruger years ago. Accuracy wise it was a POS. Bought a CZ 427 Hornet. Accuracy problem solved.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
While I have the CZ 527 in Hornet and it is the cat's a$s on crows and groundhogs with Lil Gun out to about 200 yards, I also have another one in .221 Fireball and it is the darling that I pull from the safe most often. The .221 simply rocks.

For foxes and coyotes I think I would step up to the Fireball.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have an opportunity to buy an unfired stainless/brown laminate for a fair price. I've read that the Rugers were hard to get shooting accurately.

Anyone here own one? Would it be worth buying for a fox/coyote rifle?

I owned 2. Both were problem guns. Accuracy was not particularly a problem. The chambers were at the absolute max SAAMI limit and the available ammo was at the absolute minimum. The cases expanded / stretched so much at the web that I got some case head separations with factory ammo and could never get a 2nd reload out of any case.

I'd consider buying it only if I had a gunsmith lined up ready to set the barrel back and cut a new chamber right from the outset. If you're ok with that, go for it, otherwise, I'd skip.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have one purchased used. Aftermarket trigger on it. It shoots fine, but my CZ shoots better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a question, and I don't mean to throw shade on the 22 Hornet. I just don't know the answer, and I'd like to ask people that obviously enjoy the chambering.

Why would I want a 22 Hornet? I reload. I have several rifles already chambered in 223 Remington. If I never bought a 22 Hornet, what would I be missing?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.