Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
devnull Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
It looks like Nikon is not only killing their riflescope lineup, they're also killing their authorized repair program:

https://www.ifixit.com/News/nikon-is-killing-its-authorized-repair-program

Maybe there's bigger issues for Nikon than originally recognized?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why buy a camera when the phone you have in your pocket has a good one already?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who makes the lenses for those phones?

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The phone cameras I've looked at have all had digital zooms. That's pretty poor quality compared to the optical zooms found on even the cheapest P&S cameras. They're good for snapshots but not so much if you want to enlarge a photo.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Because, while OK for snapshots, the tiny sensor in your phone is not up to doing enlargements and IIRC also won't shoot in RAW.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Phones are fine for snapshots but for many types of photography (sports/wildlife), they will not work at all.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
But unfortunately for Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Fuji, etc, 99% of the population thinks a snapshot is all there is to photography.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
DAMN! I just ought a Nikon just last month. Bend right over and touch your toes; Nikon shows you where it goes. mad Damn! mad Damn! mad Damn!
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
First I heard they dropped the rifle scope line, now camera repair. WTH!!

I have bought a Nikon Laserforce binocular/range finder. I hope that dosen't go South as well. I have always liked Nikon products and have bought cameras, binos etc in the past. Sad to see a famous company wither slowly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The phone cameras I've looked at have all had digital zooms. That's pretty poor quality compared to the optical zooms found on even the cheapest P&S cameras. They're good for snapshots but not so much if you want to enlarge a photo.

You need to revisit the cameras on current phones. Quite amazing..........as they should be on a $1000 phone.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Who makes the lenses for those phones?

Leica makes quite a few as does Zeiss

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by centershot

You need to revisit the cameras on current phones. Quite amazing..........as they should be on a $1000 phone.

Yep, I have an Iphone 8 that has a pretty good camera , much better then my point and shoot Panasonic lumix but the iphone 11 blows it away.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
But unfortunately for Canon, Pentax, Nikon, Fuji, etc, 99% of the population thinks a snapshot is all there is to photography.

Exactly.

And they are always with you.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Yep, I have an Iphone 8 that has a pretty good camera , much better then my point and shoot Panasonic lumix but the iphone 11 blows it away.

I bought a point and shoot from Doug for close to $400 a couple years ago. It was purchased because we had some very sensitive and memorable pictures to take. I spent so much time trying to get that camera to take a picture that was even close to the quality of pictures my IPhone 8 takes To no avail. Only tried to use that camera that 1 time and it’s a $400 paperweight sitting in some drawer in my house!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
When I heard that Nikon was getting out of the scope business, I assumed it was to distance the company from anything gun and shooting related. Be it hunting or whatever. It probably won’t be long until someone associates “super accurate sniper scopes that only belong on the battlefield” with a misdeed committed with a firearm somewhere somehow. I’m probably wrong just thinking out loud.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Afuggingmen!

Just as a dude in a dress is a chick to them, Olive Garden is REAL Italian food and JimConrad has ever met a Jew.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by PSE
First I heard they dropped the rifle scope line, now camera repair. WTH!!

They aren't getting out of camera repair. Quite the opposite...they are moving it all in-house. Haven't most firearms manufacturers done the same thing?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nikon cameras were the standard for years right up to the digital age. I sure hate to see them go out of the camera business but the telephone is so handy and most folks don't want to have to carry a second device to take a snap shot. I have several Nikon scopes and they are my favorite rifle scope.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Girlhunter

Afuggingmen!

Just as a dude in a dress is a chick to them, Olive Garden is REAL Italian food and JimConrad has ever met a Jew.

You go Girl!!!!!!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The Iphone 8 has only a 2x optical, the rest is digital. My little $200 Panasonic gets me 20x optical and up to 30x with some additional digital. A better camera will do much better yet.
Optical zooms have a series of lenses that move back and forth to focus on the subject. Cameras use a single lens but some actually have as many as 3 separate cameras built in. It's not nearly as good as an optical but it sort of works. The results don't become apparent until you start enlarging. You'll never see it on a Facebook size shot which is where 95% of the photos end up. There's 1 phone, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, that has a real optical zoom but it's a strange bird. This photo is looking down from the top of it.

[Linked Image from cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

139 members (35, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 13 invisible), 1,275 guests, and 859 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,454
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.