Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
What's the most sleek. svelte, light weight stock that you own or are aware of, that fits a LH Rem700? Long or short? Over the years have drooled over the McM Mountain Rifle stock, Echols Shrike, Manners UC1. All are Right Hand only propositions. Looking for petite, open wrist, thin fore arm, light weight. Strong preference for Left Hand cast (on?) out of the mold.

The LH Echols Legend is a good left hand stock. But about mid range in dimensions. McM Hunter's Edge is about the trimmest stock that I've owned and like, short of the Kimber Ascent that I mentioned elsewhere. Current Go-To rifle has a Pacific Research Rimrock stock. Love the wrist. Wish the fore arm was a little more narrow.

What say you regarding trim, svelte, stocks for Left Hand Rem 700's ?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Brown Precision pre-finished stock fits your description pretty well, long, open and slender pistol grip, slender forearm and lightweight. Forget what mine weighed but I want to say it was in the 26 oz range.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have a Mcmillan compact edge long action. Very nice stick. And have a Brown Precision sheep hunter with a 223ai in mtn rifle contour in it. Both lefties. They are both very nice.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My guess is brown precision will fit the best. I prefer the high tech stocks but seeing as you sold me one I assume you are looking for something else😂

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Have a couple of the early ADL Mcmillions think its a Classic. on a LH 270 and 06 with Ti Take off barrels . Nice accurate LW rifles. Have 3 of the Rimrocks converted to LH from RH, on 2 LH Rugers, a LH Win 70.

The Forend on the Rimrock is thicker also.

Have a LH KS Rem 700 in 280 Remington very nice stock. Its for sale PM for details.

Last edited by kk alaska; 11/18/19.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by LeftHunter
My guess is brown precision will fit the best. I prefer the high tech stocks but seeing as you sold me one I assume you are looking for something else😂

For me, the High Tech stocks are like the Rimrock. The wrist is fine. But the forend is a little wider than I prefer. IIRC, those are patterned after Al Biesen stocks. So, I am obviously the outlier in that equation.

Originally Posted by kk alaska
Have a couple of the early ADL Mcmillions think its a Classic. on a LH 270 and 06 with Ti Take off barrels . Nice accurate LW rifles. Have 3 of the Rimrocks converted to LH from RH, on 2 LH Rugers, a LH Win 70.

The Forend on the Rimrock is thicker also.

Have a LH KS Rem 700 in 280 Remington very nice stock. Its for sale PM for details.

I have a spare LH KS stock on hand (take off stock for my "Frankenrifle" that sits in the Rimrock stock). The .280 Rem is one chambering I have never tinkered with. No flies on it. But, the only new chambering I would consider taking on (at the moment) would be a .22 Creedmoor. Otherwise, thinking a LW LH .243 or 6.5x55 with 1:8 barrel.

Anyone ever "3-D Print" a rifle stock ?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
kk alaska,
I'd like to talk about the LH 280 for sale. It wouldn't let me PM you though.
Thx,
BBQ

"Giving freaks a pass is the oldest tradition in Montana."
Thomas McGuane
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
TX BBQ, Sent PM and cleaned my PM box Kurt

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
AG Composites Privateer- 23oz, shallower fore end than their 'CAT'.

I have a Lefty 'Altitude' and I'm very impressed with their material and rigidity.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by duckhunter175
AG Composites Privateer- 23oz, shallower fore end than their 'CAT'.

I have a Lefty 'Altitude' and I'm very impressed with their material and rigidity.

Thanks for the post. Never heard of AG Composites that I can recall. Like that they publish their dimensions and cross sections on their website. Very helpful. The Privateer definitely has the narrow fore end.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Take a look at Echols new stock the Shrike it is very nice. James Earl Bridges classic stock is pretty trim. I like the MPI Dakota style a lot. I am a fan of the Winchester Feather weight but not sure if McMillan could adapt it to a Remington.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is the shrike available in left hand now?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I believe the ag composite stocks is going to have way to tight of a grip for Orion. From what I understand It’s very similar to Forbes stocks in that regard which he isn’t particularly fond of

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Just checked the Echols website. Still says Right Hand for the Shrike. If someone ia aware of a LH Shrike, please speak up. The Echols stocks are built with cast off/on and with toe. HArd to see it. But, you can feel it when you mount the rifle.

Yes, I prefer a more open grip. However, if the circumference around the wrist is small enough, for me at least, that makes the wrist seem a little more "open". The Pacific Rimrock stock on my "go to" .270 falls in that category.

The wrist on the Forbes rifle was O.K. What I was not keen on, the fore end felt kinda like a rectangle with rounded corners, versus an oval shape. If the Forbes was the only rifle I had, I would rock on. However, at the time, I had a Kimber Ascent on hand for side-by-side comparison. There was no comparison. Retrospect, probably should have spent more time with the Forbes. But, that is water under the bridge.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Well I would guess the Garrett accur-lite stock is the thinnest forend stock I own or have ever held. It has a schnabel tip but that could easily be removed if you didn’t like it

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I talked to D’Arcy in length about the possibility of a Shrike in LH configuration a couple years ago. He said it’ll never happen.

Said he lost several thousand dollars on the LH Legend mould from McMillan(I love that stock...own 2). If I recall correctly, it cost him something like $25,000-$30,000 to have it made. He said he’s never even come close to selling enough LH Legend stocks to recover his costs.... made me sad.

I’d certainly buy a LH Shrike if it was ever offered.

At the time, he asked me how I liked my Legend stocks and if there was anything about the design that I’d change if I could? I responded by saying that I loved the stock but that the forend could be a bit more trim. He said I wasn’t the first to mention that. He also said, “don’t hold your breath!“ 😁

D’Arcy’s a heck of a nice guy...he loves to talk! Thoroughly enjoyed our conversation!

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 11/23/19.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Check out AG Composites stocks. Lots of left handed offerings. I have 3 now and each was a drop in for my Proof and Rem 700 (SA) rifles.

This one is very nice. https://agcomposites.com/stock/3/ag-carbon-all-terrain-cat

They are a decent value in stocks and can be ordered any way you want them. Most of their models are available left handed.

Good luck

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Swapped emails with Pam at AG Composites. All of their stocks,except the Sportsman, are available Left Hand. None of their stocks have "cast". Current lead time approx 8 weeks.

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Have you tried the Privateer? How does it compare to the All terrain cat?

Thanks,

Dean

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I wonder if the Legend stock could be narrowed down? I have seen this on other stocks come out well. But the AG Privateer sure looks nice and is ready to go.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.