Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Not having any prior experience with Howa products I am pleasantly surprised after unboxing my new Mini in 6.5 Grendel.
It is a rifle/scope (Nikko Sterling 3-9x40 Plex) combo and for the price it certainly seems like a value.
Not crazy about the magazine release (knew about that beforehand) planned to pull the scope but I think I'll shoot as is, the two stage trigger will need to be massaged a bit; now just need a day off to get it out to the range.
Does anyone have experience with the Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel that they'd care to share?
Thanks

StarchedCover

Semper Fi
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Trigger is fine, you can cut the mag release down, the stock's suck ballz....almost as much as those nikko scopes. They can be accurate, lightweight if the crappy stock is massaged.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/11/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mines an HB that I put in a Boyds stock, bobbed the mag release and the mag itself. I just ordered a DIP bottom metal and picked up a factory stock, it works just fine. This is the first coyote stand I did with the new bottom metal and stock. I did find it a little heavy handed for pelt hunting coyotes and reconfigured it for long range stuff with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x40mm scope.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by erich
Mines an HB that I put in a Boyds stock, bobbed the mag release and the mag itself. I just ordered a DIP bottom metal and picked up a factory stock, it works just fine. This is the first coyote stand I did with the new bottom metal and stock. I did find it a little heavy handed for pelt hunting coyotes and reconfigured it for long range stuff with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x40mm scope.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

nice little ‘zook scooter!

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Love my Howa 6.5. It’s a lightweight barrel in youth stock so not a range gun but perfect for carrying around and use out of stands. So far has proven to be effective on yotes, deer and hogs. I’m very careful with magazine. It’s a poor design.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have two of them and both are shooters. My 14 year old daughter has claimed one of them and downed a pretty nice 7 point about three weeks ago. I don't mind the stocks, but the accidental magazine dump is a real problem with this design We usually keep one in the chamber on safe and the loaded magazine in the shirt pocket until we get where we are going.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I really like my Howa Mini. Killed a couple of deer with a 20" HB version and factory hornady 123gr SST's . Bought the barreled action from Brownells and put it in a factory take-off stock. I liked it well enough I decided to get another one and modify it the way I wanted. I got one of the package guns that Whittakers was selling with the standard and youth size stock. I cut the forend down on the youth stock and reshaped the stock and also cut the barrel to 16 1/2". I modified the mag to be more flush fitting and shortened the mag release. Then painted it and added a scope in talley lightweight rings. It weighs 6lb 10oz as pictured with the heavy ass Bushnell 4200. I'll leave the 3x9 on it while I figure out some handloads and then a Leupold 6X will take it down to 6lb 4oz in it's final hunting configuration.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I picked up a 6.5 G from Whittaker’s and would love to see a close up of the mag release mod. How far can it be cut down?
I bought an extra mag to try my skills at cutting it down to flush. Love the little rifle. Thinking I may get a barreled action for the other stock I have. My son may want one.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Great job on that slimmy mini!

Just got my Whittaker's gun paid off and looking forward to it as I missed out on the earlier runs.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do you have to fill the ends of the forend and grip when you pare them down? Bondo or something else?

Thanks.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Do you have to fill the ends of the forend and grip when you pare them down? Bondo or something else?

Thanks.

When you shorten them? I'd just keep the end peice (very thin) and epoxy in back on. If you're just asking about reshaping, no they can be sanded smooth.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/11/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Pappy. On the very end of the forearm, if you were to fully round the tip, a gap will appear. It can take a small dab of filler to work right and be gap free. Devcon Plastisteel works great on this material. If I were to cut back a forearm, again, I'd use Devcon to build the tip. The material sands well but can have substantial pin holes. Fill with Devcon or easier glazing putty. Bondo should work too. Note: there is enough material to completely eliminate the swell and hook in the grip. I seem to be pic challenged today, but here's these. It's SA a 1500.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Oh, here's some slimmy minis.... I think I am missing a folder of hosted pics. Chit. cry

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Thanks.

I just cut out a section and epoxied the end back on then sanded it to shape.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mod the stock, get the dip inc bottom metal, trim down the mag release and modify the clip to be a 4 round almost flush mount and you have a dandy little rifle. I am also getting a tactical works bolt knob for mine and sending the bolt to LRI to be fluted.

Mine shoots 100gr Nosler BT and 100gr Barnes Ttsx well over 8208XBR.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The only thing keeping me from this gun is the 2-stage trigger. I have a hard enough time with the "Accu-trigger" on my Savage and the trigger on my Ruger American, I can pretty much imagine that no matter what, the HACT trigger will drive me nuts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was concerned about the trigger also. It has turned out to be pretty nice. I bought a Weatherby Youth Vanguard 223 that I gave to my grand daughter and it was one of the nicest from the factory triggers. My Mini was a little gritty when I got it but has settled down and shoots pretty nice. On my target guns I changed out the Accutriggers to customs but have no trouble with them on hunting guns, I like the HACT trigger better than the factory Accutrigger.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I love a two-stage trigger. First touch settles the contact. Works nice IME, bench and field. I'm not part of the "want to be surprised" club! Don't like the blades.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the HACT two stage better than the Savage accutrigger as well. The two stage is not distracting at all.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by weagle

Thanks.

I just cut out a section and epoxied the end back on then sanded it to shape.

Boomer's mod is the one I like. A feller could squint his eyes a bit and pretend it's a Bansner. When mine pays itself off and comes home, I'll probably stick it in the youth stock and whittle on the long one. I find the youth stock is actually quite usable, as does my semi-giant son.

Thanks guys.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I love a two-stage trigger. First touch settles the contact. Works nice IME, bench and field. I'm not part of the "want to be surprised" club! Don't like the blades.

Bingo! Only blade I have is on a RAR .17 M2. The blade seems to catch just a bit, probably due to my finger position. Not a fan, but I'm leaving it as is until I decide if it stays or goes.

Hact and Ruger two-stage are both fine by me.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
The only thing keeping me from this gun is the 2-stage trigger. I have a hard enough time with the "Accu-trigger" on my Savage and the trigger on my Ruger American, I can pretty much imagine that no matter what, the HACT trigger will drive me nuts.

Not sure about the American but on Savages my bud pushes the blade back, sticks a short piece of toothpick in the hole on the blade and that keeps the blade in the rearward position.

Never really noticed the blade on the Accutriggers I had myself.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can the slack be adjusted out so you have a standard pull trigger?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

no. it really is just that, though ... slack. i dont even notice it being a 2 stage trigger bc the break is so clean.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

no. it really is just that, though ... slack. i dont even notice it being a 2 stage trigger bc the break is so clean.

Agree 100%. The first stage is just a slight movement with almost no pressure, once the slack is taken up the trigger break is very crisp.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Love the Howa Mini 6.5G!
[Linked Image from johnnychange.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd very much dig one of those for the kiddos to use if it was LH...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Has the boat sailed on these completely? I’m liking the idea more and more, especially with the two stocks.

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 117LBS
Has the boat sailed on these completely? I’m liking the idea more and more, especially with the two stocks.

They show out of stock at Whittaker's now.... Brownells sells actions, might check there. With the two stock run there oughta be some extras. Good luck.

Mine arrives tomorrow. Yippee.

Oh, here's one more. It was the second one I slimmed.

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What stock is that? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by smokinggun
Love the Howa Mini 6.5G!

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Will the standard 1500 stock fit the mini?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by TLB2

You mean will a stock from a Short Action, or a Long Action fit a Mini Action?

Think about those names for a minute.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TLB2

No.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
What stock is that? Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by smokinggun
Love the Howa Mini 6.5G!

It’s a McMillan Sako Varmint with machined-in pillars, color is molded-in Desert Ambush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 163bc, 2UP, 257 mag, 007FJ, 30 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,290
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.