Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm in the market for a mid-level (at least as I define it, anyway) bolt gun, walnut stock, blued. This will primarily be a deer rifle but might occasionally be called into service for other game (hogs, cow elk, etc). I've narrowed things down to three choices: Model 70 FW in 7mm-08; M77 Hawkeye Standard in 7mm-08; or, the wild card, a CZ 557 in 6.5 creedmoor. (I have a little stockpile of 6.5 ammo from a previous rifle.) I'm already sold on walnut, blued, calibers, brands, etc. (I.e., I've held Tikkas and Kimbers but not interested. Don't care for Weatherby triggers. Not planning to dump action in a new stock, etc. The guns are the guns and will be used as they come.) So here are my questions:

1. Aside from small differences in fit and finish, the main point of debate between the 70FW and M77 seems to be the open vs. closed trigger... with some people thinking the Ruger is better suited to rough conditions. Is this important enough to make any difference for 99% of real world hunting scenarios or is this way, way, way out in the weeds? Right now, I'm leaning 70FW, but I do need something that will hold up in freezing cold.

2. Does anyone have insight into the stock finishing process of the 70FW vs. the M77? I realize wood is going to be wood when the weather is bad, but I do think differences in sealing could be important?

3. I have zero experience with CZ-American rifles. I'm not tied to controlled or push feed. The 557 looks like a classic but for whatever reason I'm having a hard time convincing myself it should cost the same as the Winchester or the Ruger, even with a slightly longer barrel. (And especially when they make you buy their $80 rings on top of it all.) Thoughts on this one? (Would anyone happen to know if the detachable mag is metal or polymer? I'm not a big fan of plastic on a rifle costing more than $400-500.)

Thanks very much for the help!

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
In my biased opinion,buy the M 70 Featherweight and go kill game with it.

A fixed 4x or 6x or a 2-7x variable scope would also be my choice. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have always been a huge Ruger fan. The Hawkeyes are built hell for stout. The FW will feel better in the hand, will be more refined, will be less likely to be defective, will likely be more accurate and won't gouge the ever loving piss out of your brass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Pick the one you like best. I'm a Model 70 fan all the way, but in this case, you pick. But look at the good side, at least you din't have a 700 in the mix...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’d go w/ the M70 FW every time no questions asked. It’s just right to me; Ruger is too heavy for what you get.

Kimber and Tikka are both too light...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I have always been a huge Ruger fan. The Hawkeyes are built hell for stout. The FW will feel better in the hand, will be more refined, will be less likely to be defective, will likely be more accurate and won't gouge the ever loving piss out of your brass.

I have a Mk II that certainly does that. Is that typical for their bolt action? (roll call here) At least you know what brass goes with what rifle. smirk

The Winchester will have a smoother cycling action by a large margin.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I have a Mk II that certainly does that. Is that typical for their bolt action? (roll call here) At least you know what brass goes with what rifle. smirk

It's not uncommon but it is easy to fix if you're not a total retard. They do tend to be rough in the feed ramp, underside of the feed rails and sometimes the edge of the chamber. A few minutes polishing in the right places and they're golden.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Model 70 FW

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rogers have always been rough as hell IMO.
The open trigger debate is much ado about nothing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A FW that doesn’t say “Portugal” on it is what I’d choose

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Travis13

For sure.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for all the replies. I've been leaning Winchester and seem further in that direction now. I will say, though, that I have another FW (bought before I knew anything about the open vs. closed trigger debate ) that was made in Portugal and the fit/finish is immaculate.

The CZ is still intriguing, but likely out now. I just can't stomach being forced to spend $80 on rings without any options other than CZ's.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by efw
I’d go w/ the M70 FW every time no questions asked. It’s just right to me; Ruger is too heavy for what you get.

Kimber and Tikka are both too light...

Originally Posted by Travis13

I’d agree with these guys

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Have you considered an xbolt hunter?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's apparent from your post you know more than 90% of the group. I have both and would flip a coin given the same chambering in both.

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Had a Ruger m77 now own 4 push feed model 70s look no further

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

My two Hawkeye series shred it. Especially the Predator 6.6 Creedpuff. My 77 M2 doesn't.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I really like the blueing in the Rugers. Are we talking new guns here?
Walnut blued Id pick ruger. Stainless, I’d pick Winchester.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Yes, brand new.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
No, haven't really looked at the Browning. How are the triggers?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

621 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 72 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,121
Posts18,464,592
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.