Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14362147 12/11/19
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Nope, not the evil government agency but Automatic Transmission Fluid. Some old threads recommended it as a very high grade lubricant so I got some but before slathering it here and there wanted to check back in to see if and how others might use it. My thoughts are to put it on the bolt and bolt carrier of the AR-15 and also to lightly lube the actions of semi-auto pistols with it.

Any reason not to use it for such? And are there any other good uses for it?

I suppose one could also put it in an automatic transmission but that's too easy...

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Have a buddy who uses 0 weight Mobil One for his ARs. Never used ATF as a lube but used it extensively as a penetrating oil mixed 50/50 with acetone.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Woodmizer recommends ATF for lubricating parts on their band saw sawmills. The claim is that ATF is less likely to attract and hold sawdust than motor oil or grease. Not sure if that property transfers over to carbon deposits on firearms or not. However, if it was the only lubricant / rust preventative that I had on hand, I would not hesitate to use it... Definitely no issue wiping down non-wear metal parts to prevent oxidation.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Its in Eds Red.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the early 80"s I found that ATF works the best on snug fitting rifle bolts like Remingtin m700s due to it not atracting as much dirt. Don't know how it deals with powder fouling, though.

Last edited by jk16; 12/11/19.
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
My kid did a science project in high school some years back, testing various products under lab controlled rusting tests. ATF came out best. You guessed it, WD40 failed in the first few hours. That was before synthetics though, and I hear nothing but good about Mobil 1.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Their are 10,000 +p+ home brew wpn,s lube and cleaner recipes out their.

As long as it suspends carbon and or keeps it soft for easy cleaning and dont burn off or dry off(depending on your recipe) roll with it.
Tinkering around with stuff like this is fun.
Many run the synthetic mobil oils on their rigs too.

All kinda a personal preference experiment process.

Really the only negative might be fumes from it burning off from doing 3 to 5 back to back mag dumps and getting a barrel and action hot enough to do that.

I make a blend of a grease called Atom lube and Lucas extreme duty gun oil.
60ish percent grease, 40ish lucas.
Blends wells using low speed w/ dremel, dont layer out apart over time in the container.

Clings, suspends carbon, dont burn off or evaporate over time.
Slick as heck.

Works on my AK really well.( what it was made for actually)
Works on my Win 1400 mkII.
Works on a Bersa Combat plus.
I use it on my other guns also.
Along with other products for rust protection, and cleaning.
Ect ect ect ect
I have seen and used ALOT of products worldwide while I was in Army . It is really a preference and what works for you type of thing or what is available.

But making your own stuff is fun and finding a recipe that works really well after messing around trying this that and the other can be satisfying.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by renegade50; 12/11/19.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My father used to store his taps and dies in jars full of ATF.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
ATF is the chit for airguns as well

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I use ATF as a cetane booster (fuel additive) in my diesel. It loves it.

Mixed it with STP as an engine building paste for 40 years.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Yes, I read up on it, and use it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
Have a buddy who uses 0 weight Mobil One for his ARs. Never used ATF as a lube but used it extensively as a penetrating oil mixed 50/50 with acetone.

We must know the same guy.

ATF in the engine of an old carboned up motor works great too. Cleans it right up.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone I look up to in engineering, puts a drop of ATF into the battery post connection in his car.... to prevent corrosion.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its got a few things going for it one of the biggest is its high detergent and breaks up any crud and such. Nuther thing, this on the hillbilly side its great for oiling log or otherwise bear wood houses and cabins. Guy I know used to get tons of it free from a logging camp and slathered it on his log home and outbuildings. Gave it a redish hew, looked great but did turn dark with time. Wood was nuts solid years later bugs no likey. Wouldn't want to catch the house on fire tho. LOL!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by renegade50
Their are 10,000 +p+ home brew wpn,s lube and cleaner recipes out their.

As long as it suspends carbon and or keeps it soft for easy cleaning and dont burn off or dry off(depending on your recipe) roll with it.
Tinkering around with stuff like this is fun.
Many run the synthetic mobil oils on their rigs too.

All kinda a personal preference experiment process.

Really the only negative might be fumes from it burning off from doing 3 to 5 back to back mag dumps and getting a barrel and action hot enough to do that.

I make a blend of a grease called Atom lube and Lucas extreme duty gun oil.
60ish percent grease, 40ish lucas.
Blends wells using low speed w/ dremel, dont layer out apart over time in the container.

Clings, suspends carbon, dont burn off or evaporate over time.
Slick as heck.

Works on my AK really well.( what it was made for actually)
Works on my Win 1400 mkII.
Works on a Bersa Combat plus.
I use it on my other guns also.
Along with other products for rust protection, and cleaning.
Ect ect ect ect
I have seen and used ALOT of products worldwide while I was in Army . It is really a preference and what works for you type of thing or what is available.

But making your own stuff is fun and finding a recipe that works really well after messing around trying this that and the other can be satisfying.

[Linked Image]

When I was shooting bolt guns in across the course matches I mixed some red grease and STP about 50 - 50. A little went a long way, made a SA 700 almost decent. I see STP has a synthetic out now, might have pick up a bottle to test. I use automotive stuff almost exclusively just because its always around anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My kid did a science project in high school some years back, testing various products under lab controlled rusting tests. ATF came out best. You guessed it, WD40 failed in the first few hours. That was before synthetics though, and I hear nothing but good about Mobil 1.

An idiot neighbor bought and shotgun years ago. He asked me how to clean it and lay it up for the winter. I told how and included "Do NOT use WD-40". He did anyway all over the outside of the beautify deep blued 870. He pull a rusty pipe out of the closet 6-months later and whined about it for days. I should not have laughed, but I did.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke

A machinist torqued bolts to a steel plate.......sprayed with salt water till well rusted.

Checked all the different penetration oils and sprays ........lowest torque to remove was 1/2 ATF and 1/2 acetone........next was about twice as much to remove.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like good stuff, thanks for all the feedback.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
When you start to think about good motor oils & trans fluid, especially if you know them, the more the $5.00 an once gun lubes sound like bull chit.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The Ed’s red bore solvent compatible oil is 50:50 dexron:kerosene. Good light lube.

50:50 dexron:acetone for penetrating oil.

Last edited by ironbender; 12/11/19.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 11point, 12344mag, 47 invisible), 2,523 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.