Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Justahunter
I like the tipped versions of Barnes bullets.

You couldn't pay me to use the TSX line again.

All recovered from animals.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Todd

Looks like EXTREME distance...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby

Todd

Yeah... I think the furthest shot was 175 yards....

Todd

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[align:center][/align]
Originally Posted by HCDH66
If they shoot well in your rifle, use them. The terminal performance is devastating.

Devastating compared to what? I have found them to be anything but devastating. Many guys claim you can "eat up to the hole" and drop "down a bullet weight"

Last edited by BWalker; 12/11/19.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've only used the tipped Barnes on one elk hunt and was fortunate enough to make a bullet recovery. Several years ago, I recovered an untipped Barnes. Maybe only a comparison of one of each, but the bullets look identical, textbook mushrooming with no petals lost and each retained about 99% of weight. Never had a problem with the untipped bullets in .270, .308, or 7x61.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A .338 160gn TTSX at over 3k is devastating and ruins a lot of meat. Kills quick!

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Todd

Yeah... I think the furthest shot was 175 yards....

Todd

Funny that when they open some but not all the way they are junk to some folks. Where have you found a cup and core that opens any different? They all vary. All over the place at times.

But yes, tipped work even better.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by SU35
Absolutely not.

This

I like more expansive bullets on our local WT's, chest shooting to save meat. I've killed them with TTSX, but feel that they drop quicker (at least in my experience) with more expansive bullets.

My experience is not too unlike the SC study where similar WT's shot with softer C&C bullets traveled a shorter distance than WT's shot with harder, premium bullets. And among those that traveled, softer bullets left a better blood trail than harder bullets.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/...bout-guns-ammo-deer-and-mans-best-friend

DF

Interestingly my buddy shot two small deer recently. Both on the move and both a bit to far back, edge of lungs/liver/paunch. TTSX. Neither one moved other than straight down. I"m just constantly amazed at how quickly TTSX deer die for us. As fast or faster than our 10mm deer do. LOL. But really I've had very few ttsx deer go 50 yards. Most go much less.

That said we are still mostly running target bergers on the deer or Lehigh in the 300/221. I'd switch to ttsx in the 6.5 Creedmoor but the target bergers are doing well. High BC. Pretty flat. Deer usually run 100 yards though.

Don't care for the bomb type damage but folks know that about me already nothing new there. looking for caliber in, less than dime out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Todd

Any chance that the 2 that didn't open may have hit something before they got to the intended target and had some "wobble"?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not the middle one which was the worst but it is possible the rest might have cut a blade or two of tall grass. Nothing heavy or thick. I had other instances they penciled through on the same hunt. Zero internal trauma. Looked like I was hunting with arrows with field points.

When they opened they were hammers. Always accurate and drove deep but like hunting with FMJ’s when they didn’t open.

I have used the TTSX and LRX and really like those bullets.

Todd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not the middle one which was the worst but it is possible the rest might have cut a blade or two of tall grass. Nothing heavy or thick. I had other instances they penciled through on the same hunt. Zero internal trauma. Looked like I was hunting with arrows with field points.

When they opened they were hammers. Always accurate and drove deep but like hunting with FMJ’s when they didn’t open.

I have used the TTSX and LRX and really like those bullets.

Todd

Any clue what the velocity was on the bullets that never opened or just partially opened? Someone said it earlier, velocity is key with these bullets.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not a Barnes, but a mono nonetheless.

This one is interesting. Check it out. I wrote one of the reviews and with pictures.

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/308-135gr-er-extended-range-raptor

DF

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Todd

I have two 6.5 140 XLC recovered from an elk. one bent, the other barley starting to expand. Fired within 200 yards, 264 win. This was 20ish years ago

I skipped the TSX all together. But used the MRX a bunch, and the LRX to a lesser extent. Both bullets have given great results. Lots of good bullets these days, I consider Barnes among them. but I think impact speed and RPM need more consideration than more conventional bullets, that makes them less versatile imo. But if exits/penetration are your main goal there are few better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
300 wby + 168 TTSX = drt elk!

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Ulvejaeger
Partitions have worked every year for me from long before there were Barnes X bullets

I agree, and so has numerous other bullets. Including sierra gamekings and hornady interlocks. Elk arent bullet proof critters. For risky shots, i prefer partitions, or if im using something like my 338 and using c&c bullets, i will always be using heavy for caliber pills. Id use a lighter barnes, though, without hesitation.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am not making any judgments concerning Barnes, because I've had some good results with them, but have had enough bad experiences to give me pause.
80 yards. Impact velocity roughly 2800 FPS. Only reason I recovered the animal was because I put a second bullet into him. This was from a deer, not an elk so please don't chastise me, but you know how many words a picture is worth...

Hopefully I've just had abnormal luck or bad lots of bullets from Barnes, but I've found that sometimes they work awesome, sometimes they don't.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd take an Etip over a Barnes every day of the week and im not a huge Nosler fan!

If you disagree talk to my wife...grin.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I am not making any judgments concerning Barnes, because I've had some good results with them, but have had enough bad experiences to give me pause.
80 yards. Impact velocity roughly 2800 FPS. Only reason I recovered the animal was because I put a second bullet into him. This was from a deer, not an elk so please don't chastise me, but you know how many words a picture is worth...

Hopefully I've just had abnormal luck or bad lots of bullets from Barnes, but I've found that sometimes they work awesome, sometimes they don't.

What bullet weight, cartridge and barrel twist?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

Not that thats happened with any other bullet in the whole world either... Sierra game kings come to mind.... talk about erratic.

I've had a few that were the old TSX that didn't leave much of an exit and I had to look a bit more than normal to find the DEAD deer... As to putting a second bullet in the deer, the ONLY way you would know if that solved any problem is if you had not. I"m not being pissy, I"m sure it sounds like it, but like others tell me, even when a game king fails my thoughts its still a dead deer.

The most consistent performing bullets I"ve ever shot have been Barnes. And extra so now with the tipped ones. Bergers are not far behind. Sierra match kings never gave me an issue but I have not shot more than maybe 20 animals with them so not a fair test really.

Lehigh for subsonic 300/221 have never ever failed us either.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

62 TSX, vanilla .223 and 1/9 twist. Come to think of it, the impact velocity may have been closer to 3000 FPS...not really sure but it isn't going at turtle speed.

Really accurate, out past 500 yards.

Page 3 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
174 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 19 invisible), 2,045 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.