Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, what's your take on this?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A good barrel is not going to "walk" that much. If a barrel does walk a lot on you, it is likely "stressed " from the machining process. Any amount of uneven pressure exerted on the barrel, as it warms up from shooting, will also cause your poi to wander.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There are potentially a couple of causes of walking. Commonly, it is a barrel not well stress-relieved. Processes like rotary forging and button rifling for example, may result in quite high residual stresses and, if not properly stress relieved, the heating of the barrel from firing a few rounds can see it move.

Another one is where the way the rifle is bedded or fitted up results in movement due to thermal expansion. As you know, steel expands as it gets hot, and if that expansion is constrained on one side, such as by a barrel screw or other feature pressing against the barrel on one side, that can cause walking. Perhaps the most extreme example of this that I've seen is in teh case of combinations, drillings and the like, where the rifle barrel is soldered to another barrel, and as the rifle barrel heats up it expands on the side away from the joint, but on the side where the joint is it has the combined effects of a heat sink and the rigid joint preventing movement.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They can and will. Depends on the barrel and the bedding. Some will be worse than others, for the reasons mentioned above. For a hunting rifle the first cold bore shot is the money maker.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Higbean
Well, what's your take on this?
They certainly can....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first bolt ws a Ruger M77 7mm RM. When I tried to zero it the POI kept moving up and to the left at 11 o'clock.

That was 1982. Floated the barrel and have not had a problem since. And since then all my bolt rifles get the barrel floated if they don't come that way. They don't walk either, but i don't shoot any until they are uncomfortably hot. Cooler barrels result in longer barrel life.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
B
I have one rifle that tends to walk as it heats up .... I say tend to but really it’s basically guaranteed.

It’s a full length forend and figured wood so the grain is not straight and the forend always contacts the barrel. I’ve tried to correct it a few times to no avail.

On the upside. The walking is pretty predictable if you take quick follow up shots, and if you let the barrel cool it doesn’t walk.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Relieving hidden stresses in barrel steel in the course of machining same is a very real phenomenon. I experimented once with a pristine military Mauser barrel. It was scary accurate in its original configuration- steps and all. I carefully set it up in a 4-jaw chuck, tailstock live center carefully centered and supporting the muzzle end. On slow speed I painstakingly turned the barrel into a svelte taper, eradicating the steps. A work of art when done. Subsequent shooting proved the first shot would go dead nuts where the crosshairs pointed. Second, third, fourth, fifth shots would steadily walk up and to the right with the fifth landing about 8" from the first, every time. I messed with the bedding every which way from Wednesday and nothing helped. Stress relief is a bitch.

Thorough cooling between shots would yield MOA groups but I couldn't live with knowing it's foible, so away it went. I did kill a couple deer with it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have some that do, some that don’t.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve had a 700 LTR in 6.8 spc in the back of the safe longer than I should have because it would fairly predictably walk them down and left. Initially a 6x42 Leupold was blamed and found to have been bad, but I’ve never fooled with it since. On the list for this winter.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father's 99C in 308 does faster and farther than any rifle I've ever seen.
Forgot multi shot groups. And if you want to sight in a new scope or work up a hand load, you better have a lot of time on your hands.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
How many rounds before you feel they will walk, midrange say .243?

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

You should go back and read peoples posts. You'll see that every barrel is different. Every rifle is different. There are ways to help prevent "walking" of your shots and POI shift. Go back at the beginning and read the posts. It is full of some good insight..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

You should go back and read peoples posts. You'll see that every barrel is different. Every rifle is different. There are ways to help prevent "walking" of your shots and POI shift. Go back at the beginning and read the posts. It is full of some good insight..

Why, you don't seem to read and comprehend many?

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Years ago, I built a 7x57, on a Turk Mauser. I did not buy a premium barrel. I wanted to put one together on the "cheap". So, I bought a Green Mountain bbl from Midway, that was threaded and short chambered. It was on sale for $69.99.

I had the receiver heat treated, cut off the bolt handle and put on a new one. Then I sent it to a guy who Cryo treated it. I put that into an ambi-thumbhole MPI stock I had in my shop, and took it to the range.

Now, it wasn't as cheap as I wanted it to be, but damn! It shoots just as well, or better than any other rifle than I've built since, and with a $70 barrel!

That said, every rifle I own is bedded and free floated. But, if it doesn't shoot, and I'm keeping it, it gets cryo'd.

I need to find a new shop to do it, as my guy retired recently.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Did you try that barrel before cryogenic treatment? Because from a metallurgical point of view cryogenic treatment of rifle barrels is really just snake oil.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If a hot barrel “walks” in a properly assembled and bedded rifle, it’s going in the trash. Time for a rebarrel.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Most will, some don't.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Boy howdy, I had a Weatherby Ultra-lightweight in .30-06, pencil thin barrel. It didn’t walk, it ran! Almost like shooting a single shot, make the first one count.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Thank you BSA.......
Merry Christmas.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,518 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.