Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’m not an ‘AR guy’. The only AR that really impressed me was my ex-Chief’s old ArmaLite M15 HBAR. The A2 stock, rifle length hand guards and 20” heavy barrel made it steady in unsupported shooting and rock solid from field positions or a rest. His had OD furniture, a bolt on carry handle with A2 sights and a nice two-stage trigger he swore came on the gun. I shot it on steel enough to know it would overlap bullet splashes at 100-200 yards.

I walked into a local shop the other day and there sat one in the rack, same basic configuration with no sights. It was near new with no finish wear on the bolt carrier group or its corresponding race in the receiver. This one had a two stage trigger with 3 pounds of take up, a creep-free 3 ¼ pound second stage and no perceptible over travel. This rifle had everything, except irons, that I would add if building an AR from scratch. Needless to say I left with it. I grabbed the highest set of rings in the toolbox and bolted the beater 4X Banner on it, just to see if it was accurate enough to warrant sights or better glass. If not, I was in cheap enough to reclaim my investment.

[Linked Image]

I bore sighted it and had a 50 yard zero off the bat. At 200 yards, Winchester 55 grain FMJ was making 3-4 shot clusters like this between adjustments, despite having to contort my neck and mash my face into the stock using the improv scope setup.

[Linked Image]

The rifle runs fine. I found a used Nikon M223 riser mount for 35 bucks and will probably hang a 2x7 Vortex on it. It’s also getting a set of Daniel Defense Fixed Lightweight sights. Other than that, a few 20 round mags and ammo are about it. I'll admit an initial urge to order a dot-sighted carbine length upper in 5.56, a 450 Bushmaster upper with another set of sights, etc. The HBAR's trigger is good enough to justify using it as a host for the thumper, in particular. But first things first. Irons, load selection and zero. It's primarily going to be my George Jetson coyote gun.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/12/19.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice find, Sarge. That wouldn't last 20 minutes in my LGS.

Although, I talked to another customer last night there that found an AR180B at another pawn shop about 10 minutes away.

So, I guess it could happen.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks LD. I've known the FFL and his Dad for years and we don't BS each other. He told me the Armalite sat on the rack over a month. Guys would pick it up & comment on how heavy it was before looking at M4geries, which were 100-150 cheaper anyhow. Dot-sighted carbines have become synonymous with the term 'AR'.

I was glad to find a decent A2 pattern rifle. As to AR180's, I always like how they handled but never got a chance to shoot one. Bet the one you mentioned don't sit there long.

Last edited by SargeMO; 12/12/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Does that have a float tube under the handguard? What's the sling loop attached to?

Politics is War by Other Means
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The loop has a short extension that is pinned onto a slot in the gas block, Tyrone. I haven't taken the handguards off and probably won't until the rifle gets rained on.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Armalite's are great rifles, just heavy, usually accurate.............very good find.

Congrats.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SargeMO
The loop has a short extension that is pinned onto a slot in the gas block, Tyrone.
OK. There is no float tube under the handguard then. If you want to make it shoot even better, install a float tube. A NM float tube will make it a little heavier, however.

Sound like you have a rifle with a nice barrel & trigger. I believe Armalite uses Wilson barrels, just like White Oak.

Last edited by Tyrone; 12/12/19.

Politics is War by Other Means
SargeMO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I left a message with Armalite requesting the year this rifle was produced and to inquire how many were built in this configuration. They called back and stating it was one of twenty four built in 2012 and sold in 2013.

And thank you all for the kind comments.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That's nice, enjoy!

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The Armalite 2 stage trigger group has 3 spring pre-load notches for adjustability.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.