Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
It’s not a matter of what’s best, it’s the fact that a phone takes good enough photos for social media. (Or forums)

GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I've found that over the years (I'm 60), that I take fewer and fewer pictures, even on vacation. Others don't want to see them and I have them in my mind (so far) smile. To give that some reference, I got my first Nikkormat FTn in high school and got a Nikon N8008 in my later 20's. Now I have a Sony P&S but normally just look at stuff or take pictures with my phone. On vacations, I've seen too many people spend their entire time looking through the viewfinder instead of experiencing things in the present.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by centershot
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The phone cameras I've looked at have all had digital zooms. That's pretty poor quality compared to the optical zooms found on even the cheapest P&S cameras. They're good for snapshots but not so much if you want to enlarge a photo.

You need to revisit the cameras on current phones. Quite amazing..........as they should be on a $1000 phone.

Yep, I have an Iphone 8 that has a pretty good camera , much better then my point and shoot Panasonic lumix but the iphone 11 blows it away.

I bought a point and shoot from Doug for close to $400 a couple years ago. It was purchased because we had some very sensitive and memorable pictures to take. I spent so much time trying to get that camera to take a picture that was even close to the quality of pictures my IPhone 8 takes To no avail. Only tried to use that camera that 1 time and it’s a $400 paperweight sitting in some drawer in my house!

First photo IPhone 7
Second Photo Panasonic ZS60 with Leica lens

Same deer, same distance

Similar year technologies. The newer IPhones are much better but so are the newer Panasonic cameras.

They all have their place but my Panasonic stays in my backpack, it is a far superior camera.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I hate that Nikon is having market trouble as it seems. I have several of their Monarch scopes, three of their FX-1000 scopes and find them to be an excellent scope for the price. I tried to get an allen wrench for the stop adjustment for the first FX-1000 scope I purchased and found their customer service lacking to put it lightly. One less player and choice in the medium price range for quality scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I learned long ago that panasonic camera’s are hard to beat.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This was taken with a Panasonic zs50 at about 1/4 mile. He was running, obviously. I doubt you could get this with a phone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have a Nikon camera but never use it, always have phone with me!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Reading the article carefully, it seems that they are still going to maintain their factory repair centers in CA and NY. So, the headline of the article is not quite accurate...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The phone cameras I've looked at have all had digital zooms. That's pretty poor quality compared to the optical zooms found on even the cheapest P&S cameras. They're good for snapshots but not so much if you want to enlarge a photo.

You need to revisit the cameras on current phones. Quite amazing..........as they should be on a $1000 phone.

Yep, I have an Iphone 8 that has a pretty good camera , much better then my point and shoot Panasonic lumix but the iphone 11 blows it away.

I bought a point and shoot from Doug for close to $400 a couple years ago. It was purchased because we had some very sensitive and memorable pictures to take. I spent so much time trying to get that camera to take a picture that was even close to the quality of pictures my IPhone 8 takes To no avail. Only tried to use that camera that 1 time and it’s a $400 paperweight sitting in some drawer in my house!

Same here. Not even worth charging

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mike70560

First photo IPhone 7
Second Photo Panasonic ZS60 with Leica lens

Same deer, same distance

Similar year technologies. The newer IPhones are much better but so are the newer Panasonic cameras.

They all have their place but my Panasonic stays in my backpack, it is a far superior camera.

My Panasonic Lumix would struggle to get half the picture the ZS60 gets. I have my phone with me all the time, I would not carry a camera except on special occasions though.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

The Iphone 8 has only a 2x optical, the rest is digital. My little $200 Panasonic gets me 20x optical and up to 30x with some additional digital. A better camera will do much better yet.
Optical zooms have a series of lenses that move back and forth to focus on the subject. Cameras use a single lens but some actually have as many as 3 separate cameras built in. It's not nearly as good as an optical but it sort of works. The results don't become apparent until you start enlarging. You'll never see it on a Facebook size shot which is where 95% of the photos end up. There's 1 phone, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom, that has a real optical zoom but it's a strange bird. This photo is looking down from the top of it.

[Linked Image from cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net]

I have a iphone 8 plus which is a little bit better then what comes on the 8

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The phone camera has its place. That is as a limited use camera that you always have with you. Compared to a good P&S they do not process low light or movement nearly as well.

I am looking forward to scooping up some killer Nikon scope deals once they go on closeout. I have a few Leupolds that need to be rotated out.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

274 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 29aholic, 41 invisible), 1,605 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,219
Posts18,447,444
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.