Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
When I was a kid, just starting out with handguns and reloading, my father said he never liked wadcutters because they were a hassle to load and didn't work as well with speedloaders compared to SWCs. I've never used them before.

What am I missing? I'm thinking about trying some out for sedate loads in the .38 and .357, mostly for a quick and easy way to differentiate plinkers from other ammo and just to try something new. What ones to you guys like?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They are accurate, leave a nice round hole in a paper target and work very well on small game and varmints.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pabucktail
When I was a kid, just starting out with handguns and reloading, my father said he never liked wadcutters because they were a hassle to load and didn't work as well with speedloaders compared to SWCs. I've never used them before.

What am I missing? I'm thinking about trying some out for sedate loads in the .38 and .357, mostly for a quick and easy way to differentiate plinkers from other ammo and just to try something new. What ones to you guys like?

Their purpose is to make very clear, cookie cutter, holes in paper targets for the purpose of easy scoring in bullseye matches. They also tend to be lightly loaded for more pleasant shooting, without concern for causing flinching.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I was younger and shooting a lot more than I do now I would buy wadcutters by the pound and shoot the daylights out of my 357 with light loads. I worked part time for the local sheriffs office and I carried a 66 2.5" with me all the time. I read one time about taking a 148 hollowbase wadcutter and turn then around putting the hollowbase in front. Put a load of bullseye in there. When you hit a milk jug that configuration would open flat to over an inch. So a couple of deputy's and myself carried those in our off duties. That was back when the west was still wild and we could get away with that sort of stuff. my duty gun was a 629. The good ol days.

Last edited by BluMtn; 12/11/19.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wadcutters also eat up dead space in the case which can help ignition uniformity with the small powder charges often used for sedate loads.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is a good endorsement of them in small frame .38 Specials.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...brush/Search/true/re-38-spl#Post14196618

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I love wadcutters. Their only downside is how they tumble past about 50 yards unless you load them hot, which is the opposite of their intended purpose. If you want to shoot at longer ranges, then use a SWC or LFN design.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Pabucktail: For about 2 1/2 decades I had to "qualify" up to 4 times a year using my revolver pistol, wadcutters and speed loaders!
VERY little practice was all it took to learn to reload relaibly and quickly with speedloaders and wadcutters.
I still shoot wadcutters and they are my favorite pistol Grouse loads (accurate to the base of said Grouse's neck, and very little meat damage).
Good luck to you when you give them a try.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
That might have been another concern of Dad’s since he had me shooting out to 75 yards pretty early. I like the idea of taking up space with light charges. Good insights guys.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Okie john: I was not aware of that tumbling propensity of wadcutters at relatively "short range".
I have shot thousands of rounds of 38 wadcutters at 50 yards and don't ever recall seeing a "tumbled" bullet there at 50 yards.
I don't ever recall, though, ever shooting at a paper target further than a measured exact 50 yards.
I have some 38 wadcutters and if I can figure out where to hold at 100 yards i'll give that a try "for the record".
Thanks for your insight.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Funny; just got back from my place in Arizona, and while out sighting in a few rifles, I was showing my buddy the revolver I used to use in competition. I had a box of MagTech 38 special full wad cutters with me, and for [bleep] and grins I shot a cylinder full at the big target we had hung up at 100 yards, I had five out of six hits and not a tumble in the bunch, never heard of that particular issue?
I carry a S&W M19 21/2" revolver for concealed carry and always have a cylinder full of wadcutters loaded in it, they punch pretty hard for what they are.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The accuracy of wadcutters falling off past (approximately) 50 yards is 100% spot on, as compared to SWCs and other projectile designs. 50 yards and in, they are outstanding. I never had great luck with them at 75, 100 yards. SWCs are the load I prefer for anything past 50 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The WCs out of a 2" J Frame make a lot of sense, as was written in the post, provided at the link.

Initial load is WCs, with JHPs for a reload, simply because they are much easier to load quickly from a speedloader.

The wadcutters are fantastic for large bore guns as well such as .44s and .45s.

From a .44, it is a stellar game load, and I would not hesitate to use it for self defense purposes, as when loaded properly the recoil is mild, they are very easy to shoot well and give some impressive velocities.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
BTW 148 grain WCs from Rimrock in Montana work great for me, but there are a lot of good manufacturers.

They have good bullets, price and service.

Missouri bullet company is another one I have used and was pleased with.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like to use Lyman #2 Alloy in my #358495 mold.
4 grs of Red Dot gives me 900 fps.
This is plenty at the 5 yard line.
That is why I carry a j frame, for self defense.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Not saying I'm all that great with a double action revolver, but however good I am I can thank a lot of it to 38 wadcutters. About the cheapest centerfire you can load, along with the lowest recoiling & most accurate as well.

Love 'em as much today as I did 40 years ago. If you can think of no other reason to own a 4 or 6" double action 38 or 357 revolver, wadcutters are the only reason you need.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Shoot a lot of wadcutters from my model 69. Very accurate and hard hitting. Easy to tell from full power Keith loads

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
They are the ONLY bullet that my S&W can take literately.. It's a semi-auto as well. They do make very nice close cut holes for easy scoring.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
BTW 148 grain WCs from Rimrock in Montana work great for me, but there are a lot of good manufacturers.

They have good bullets, price and service.

Missouri bullet company is another one I have used and was pleased with.

I’ve been eyeing those two companies in the last few days. They seem to offer a good selection. How have delivery times been for you? I’ve always used beartooth bullets for hardcast needs but he’s been pretty flaky for about a year now. Seems to be out of business as far as phone or email, but the website is still up.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Delivery times have been very good for both. No issues.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
MO bullets has been real good to me and quick. Grafs also sells a sheit ton load of them.

A S&W Model 15 and a coffee can full of wadcutters is a shooting sight to behold.

'If you say the parent you were most afraid when you were a kid was your dad, you grew up in the city.'
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
131 members (257 mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 808 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.