Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
So I've slowly been picking up some Kuiu attire and just jumped into the Ultra series packs. I like the design and fit. Anyone also drink the Kuiu cool aid? Looking for experiences. Good and bad. Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using them since 2014 for some stuff.

I like solids

[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wasn't crazy about their packs. But I loved the early attack pants. The new skinny jeans bha fit leaves much to be desired. I did like their down pullover too.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Kuiu makes some good stuff but their pants have been surpassed....

Their tops are still decent and they make good headgear...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I do believe Kuiu is good stuff...but I have never bought or even used anything from them.
Some pretty good hunters that I know do though and I trust their word...that said the Kuiu warriors I see make me shake my head as it seems like a damn cult. I have not seen the need to buy into it.

I have tried on a few of their packs that friends own. They didn't seem too comfy to me. Ultralight doesn't always mean ultra comfortable I guess.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I do believe Kuiu is good stuff...but I have never bought or even used anything from them.
Some pretty good hunters that I know do though and I trust their word...that said the Kuiu warriors I see make me shake my head as it seems like a damn cult. I have not seen the need to buy into it.

I have tried on a few of their packs that friends own. They didn't seem too comfy to me. Ultralight doesn't always mean ultra comfortable I guess.

Most of the stuff I own is Kuiu...however...

I'll add their packs suck, to my back anyway.

Their gloves are good though...grin.

Honestly, just like a grocery store, every store has its deals and products....

Kuiu, First Lite, Sitka, etc.....pick and choose gear....

- Greg

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was gifted a set of the Kuiu Chugach. It’s ok. Better than Cabelas branded stuff that I have used. Pants see way more use than the jacket.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by GregW

What surpassed them? My attack pants are getting up there, but they've had a hell of a run.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can’t speak to Kuiu gear...Probably interchangeably with the likes of Sitka wares. With that said, I have found Sitka’s Timberline pants with the removable knee pads to be bomb proof.

I’ve worn these pants into hell for two years. Thorn tears, rocks, dirt, rain, snow and buckets of blood haven’t caused them to fail yet.

Going from wearing a poly/cotton blend military pant for 30 years. The Timberline pants have kept me drier, warmer, cooler, and lighter in overall weight. They’re like wearing tough pajamas. Crazy! 😎

This.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

PS

The First Light Sawbuck pants are badass too. Hard to find the olive green color, but great pants in any color.

Last edited by Beaver10; 12/11/19.

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by GregW

What surpassed them? My attack pants are getting up there, but they've had a hell of a run.

Oh they are good for sure for sure. I've got a few pair.

Depends on what you want. I'm in the desert...grin....

- Greg

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I can’t speak to Kuiu gear...Probably interchangeably with the likes of Sitka wares. With that said, I have found Sitka’s Timberline pants with the removable knee pads to be bomb proof.

I’ve worn these pants into hell for two years. Thorn tears, rocks, dirt, rain, snow and buckets of blood haven’t caused them to fail yet.

Going from wearing a poly/cotton blend military pant for 30 years. The Timberline pants have kept me drier, warmer, cooler, and lighter in overall weight. They’re like wearing tough pajamas. Crazy! 😎

This.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

PS

The First Light Sawbuck pants are badass too. Hard to find the olive green color, but great pants in any color.

The First Lite Sawbuck are my new go to for medium to warm weather....

I've a few pairs now. Game changer for sure.....

I have now switched from Carharts in the coues brush....

- Greg

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I'm in the Kuiu Kool-aid.

I was doing Sitka for quite a while, but the sizing was never consistent over time in my experience, a new gear line product XL might be an actual XL, or fit like a medium.

Frankly - I thought the Sitka price point was too expensive to gamble on the purchase until it hit Camofire after a couple of years.

Kuiu seemed to fit well out of the package, my initial sets are coming up one their fourth season of regular duty -there are snags, pilling, and faded - but holding together.

I like their packs, my go-to training pack is 30-40 pounds loaded, and has been carried in prep quite a bit over several seasons - but I use their pack as day pack - not for a spike camp set-up.

I also like Kings Camo in the Mountain Shadow, blends well where I hunt with the timing, and can bought on a budget. Most of their XKG series is a pattern copy of Sitka designs

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kuiu makes a lot of very well thought out gear. Their new Pro suspension is much better IMO than the Icon Pro/Ultra suspension. Their pack fits me very well now.
I’m a huge fan of their clothing also. The Tiburon pants are awesome in Hot weather. Attack pants are comfy for me especially with a base layer in colder weather.Love the hip vents in most the pants and zip off base layer bottoms are genius IMO. I own quite a bit of Kuiu and will continue to buy it as needed. I like their layering system and it works well for me.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm, with GregW, I pick and choose, yet for my needs the kuiu attacks are the best pants I've owned, have several and am still hunting in my 1st pair that I got when they first came out, man those pants have been through a lot.
Their packs have never impressed me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For you guys that aren’t as well heeled, but still like bp hunting, granted I’m old & old school, but used cabelas zip off nylon pants for years. From moose hunting to sheep hunting.

Damn good piece of kit for $70 ( heck that seems pricey to me ). Even better on sale

Was fortunate to be in position to spend whatever was needed or desired on hunting gear. Perhaps technology has passed me by on this issue 🤷🏻‍♂️

But those pants worked great on some hard hunts during long seasons. Sometimes 4-6 weeks per year

Lt wt. windproof, dry fast, ease of movement

Just a thought for guys like me that think WTF $180-200 for a pair of pants !

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new pro suspension and belt is awesome IMO. Never had a single complaint about it on my last elk hunt, nor did my hunting partner. So light you don't notice it when hunting, and we never took them over about 80ish lbs or so but never had a comfort complaint on a longggg steeeep 3 day pack-out.

I also really, really like their zip off bottom base layers, and the Peloton 97 tops. The Kenai Beanie is also a mainstay.

For Merino top pieces I prefer First Lite though.

Last edited by ChrisAU; 12/12/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prana Zion is a damn comfortable pair of pants that holds up way better than I ever would’ve guessed wish they weren’t so laughably short though.

I love my super down ultra hooded jacket. I spend a hell of a lot more time in a first ascent Eddie Bauer down jacket though.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Heresy, I know, but has anyone tried any of the Kryptek gear for a lot less money?

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have one of their light puffy jackets. It is not nearly as warm as similar jackets from others, but it was pretty cheap. Has been a well made and durable piece of gear though. Only thing I have from them.

Beav, my hunting buddy is all-in with Sitka. I'm probably wearing 75% Kuiu and the rest is random stuff that I prefer or just happen to have. If I buy timberlines, its almost like he wins, so I can't let that happen.

I hear the DeHaviland pants are good...

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I bought an Ultra 6000 pack and didn't like it because it has only one water bottle pocket and I don't use a water bladder. I gave that to a friend and bought an Ultra 5500. I love it. Fits great.

I also own a Storm Star 2P tent. It's has the best weight to volume ration for any 4-season tent that I'm aware of.

I don't use their clolthing. I use Sitka Gear digital camo (they have their own name) clothing for hunting in Alaska and I use King Desert Shadow camo clothing for southerm Arizona Coues deer hunts.

In Colorado you have to wear 500 square inches of orange including an orange hat. It makes no sense to put on some uber cool camo in that situation.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
94 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,696 guests, and 696 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.