Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
This has been an eventful year. We got my son a new 300 win mag for Christmas last year. I got one for myself in January. We began load developement and settled on loads looking forward to this hunting season. Then in March I felt a fludder in my chest during a workout. On April 4 I had 5 way open heart bypass surgery at 47 years old. Living became a thought during that time. Responsibility of my family laid heavy. Shooting a 300 win mag seemed far away. The one thing that bonds me and my son lately is our time hunting. He is 20 years old and a few years ago hit that age where his buddies were cool and fun to he with and I wasnt. Most of you know what I'm talking about. However hunting is one thing weve always done together. I taught him from the age of 3 when he had a suction end arrow on a small stick and string bow that I had him shoot at deer in the field.

I made it through surgery and we began looking forward to hunting season. Of course I tried to determine what I would use never imagining I could shoot the 300WM. GOD moved in my life and strengthened me and helped me get stronger everyday. I'm still trying to recover to my old normal state. We had planned this week to hunt together today. We left early before dawn. He had his 300 win mag and I my 30-06. I had equipped it with a limbsaver recoil pad to help lighten the recoil. Man if was special walking side by side up the mountain this morning. I took it in and absorbed it to my fullest thinking about where I have been this year and appreciated this time hunting together that we seem to take for granted most years. A life changing situation really gets your attention and puts priorities back in order. Being with my son was the best. I watched him as he walked a step ahead of me. I notice the full face beard he has and wonder how my little boy became a man so quick. Nevertheless I am blessed because were together doing what weve always done and have the health and opportunity to be together. We quietly talked about the weather and conditions today and recalled hunts from years gone by and every memory from them so clear. As daylight arrived and we settled in God blessed me with a deer about 125 yards away. I raised my 30-06 and settled my crosshairs. The deer was broadside and still. I squeezed the trigger and he called it out to me that I had made a good hit. The deer tumbled down the side of the hill and came to rest behind a dead fall. He helped drag my deer out and we returned for him. Another spot on the mountain. But double blessed our good Lord allowed a line of 4 deer come into view. He picked out the one he wanted and raised his 300 win mag. Squeezed the trigger and I was there to call his out. It dropped the deer right where it stood. We gutted the deer together and talked back and forth about our hunt today. How grateful I am that I'm alive and out there with my son. I'm blessed that I got to watch him raise his new 300 win mag and harvest a nice deer. And blessed that we both took a deer today. Happy to drop them off at butcher and put meat in our freezer. We made new memories today that I will cherish forever and thank God that he allowed me to be alive and share this cherished time with my son the way we have always done over the years. We look forward to the next hunt together now and time we get to spend together.

Bearbuck
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You are blessed, but you earned your blessings. Congratulations on a successful recovery and--most of all--raising your son right. May God continue to watch over you and your family and bless you all.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bearbuck: Thank you for sharing those things with us.
I am so happy you are well enough to get out with your son!
I have three VarmintSons myself and indeed they grew up so fast, and I am so thankful they have turned out to be fine young men!
Indeed, treasure the memories that were made on this Hunt.
I am happy for you both.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Inspiring...I enjoyed reading you and your sons success together in life and your hunt. Continue to get your health back. Always looking forward, never regretting your past.

Go forth and fill tags until the very end.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Excellent write up. I'd agree you are blessed, as is your son. Life is short and it is to our advantage to recognize it, and live accordingly. You're on the right road now. May you and your son have many more hunts in the years ahead.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
This :
Originally Posted by hotsoup
Excellent write up. I'd agree you are blessed, as is your son. Life is short and it is to our advantage to recognize it, and live accordingly. You're on the right road now. May you and your son have many more hunts in the years ahead.

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Excellent!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Glad you are OKAY. My boy hunted until about 14. He got interested in a band, which led to lots of girls. He is back to hunting too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
congrats . I hope that you and him have a long time to hunt together

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Kudos to you and thank you for sharing the hunt with us.

This reminds me of a quote I recently found that hit home:

“ It is not what you do for your children , but what you have taught them to do for themselves that will make them successful.”

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Great write up, and happy for you and your son. Keep it up!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You hit the nail on the head Sir, every buck is a blessing, every day is a blessing. Time spent with your kids in the woods and on the water is a double portion!

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (007FJ, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,778
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.