Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm intrigued by the Canadian belt knife and keep hearing good reviews on them.

Who makes a good one?
Grohmann? (buy carbon or stainless?)
Herters?
Knives of alaska?
Bark River?
Others?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I think Grohmann is the original and one of the nicest. My father had one and it was one of my sentimental favorites. If you want to try one for incredibly cheap, take a look at the cold steel version. $15 with a sheath, and will let you know if you like it enough to drop the money on a nicer one. I have a few of them and I like them but I haven’t worked up any game with them. They cold steel is so light I keep it in my pack as a backup knife.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

KOA Yukon Belt Knife

Canadian Belt knife (Dukeman)

Oklahoma Belt Knife (Top, also by Dukeman)

I'm would bet there would be a number of makers that frequent this forum that would fashion one similar!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/20/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting the similarities to the Nesmuke minus the use as an eating utensil. The Cold steel is a throw down knife IMO. Grohman's are good and I like to support the originator. The Stag handle models keep going up in price it seems.

Bark River & KOA may have better steel but not a huge difference but I am a fan of properly done D2. Stainless vs Carbon is mostly personal preference but I go for carbon unless it is a fishing knife.

Herters I don't know will look them up later.

My personal choice would be a Stag handled original in Carbon steel.

But then I would also be tempted to have Michagan Roadkill make one up in M4 or S35V for the ultimate Canadian Belt Knife.

Last edited by Tejano; 11/20/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gdub,
Is Dukeman still making knives?,

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The cold steel is a cheap one for sure, but it is kind of like a Mora knife. If you like it, buy a Grohmann (carbon for me) and relegate the cold steel to a bait knife. If you dislike the shape after using it, you are out only $15. Grohmann is 20% off now, which puts their #1 with rosewood well under $100

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by geedubya

[Linked Image from i38.photobucket.com]

KOA Yukon Belt Knife

Canadian Belt knife (Dukeman)

Oklahoma Belt Knife (Top, also by Dukeman)

I'm would bet there would be a number of makers that frequent this forum that would fashion one similar!

ya!

GWB

Gibby,

Is that KOA the version with the top edge sharpened?
Whats your opinion on sharpened top edge?

H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by K1500
The cold steel is a cheap one for sure, but it is kind of like a Mora knife. If you like it, buy a Grohmann (carbon for me) and relegate the cold steel to a bait knife. If you dislike the shape after using it, you are out only $15. Grohmann is 20% off now, which puts their #1 with rosewood well under $100

^^^^ This is great advice! ^^^^

The Grohmann #1 Original is currently, as of 11/21/19, on sale for $88 at www.gknives.com

You can regularly find the Grohmann #1 for even less $$ on eBay.

I tried the Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife and like the style, just not the lower grade Cold Steel version. When it comes to cheap, but functional, knives, I prefer the Cold Streel Pendleton Lite Hunter style because the handle fits my hand better.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just used the cold steel version to work up a duck. Not a real challenge, but the ergonomics are dang good on the knife, and the cold steel version slices paper like butter. I kind of want to order the Grohmann to replace the one that was lost/stolen from my father.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There’s nothing like the original Grohmann. I’ve used the SS/Rosewood Version going back 30 years. I have a Cold Steel version, but it’s mediocre by comparison.

However, I could really like the stag/carbon version of mine that Tejano mentioned.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have one marked Rd1958 was my Dads ive had it 35 years , dad got it new I think. I want to use it but dont want to lose it either lol might have to use it anyway. I bought a cold steel its OK but not the same quality
Larry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived in Nova Scotia for 4 years in the 1990's. Worked at the shipyard in Pictou and in Halifax and Dartmouth.
Every holiday it seems I was given Grohmann knives, both the original DH Russell and the B&T...Carbon and SS
I must have 2 dozen of them.
All in a drawer.
I also have 2 Wayne Hendrix renditions.
The BEST, and not from conjecture, but from use...are:

LTW Small Northern Hunter

Awesome AEBL...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad
There’s nothing like the original Grohmann. I’ve used the SS/Rosewood Version going back 30 years. I have a Cold Steel version, but it’s mediocre by comparison.

However, I could really like the stag/carbon version of mine that Tejano mentioned.

I have the Cold Steel version, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought two of the Herters version back in the 60s.....$3.97 each with sheath and a pamphlet. They were good but very hard.
I currently have two Grohmans that I like and use but my buddy brought a KOA to moose camp and I really liked it because
of the no=slip handle and it seemed to hold an edge better than other KOA knives I've used. Perhaps KOA has figured out
some tempering for their D2 steel. I've considered buying a KOA but the sheath SUX! Where can I get a good sheath built?

The younger generation look at my Grohmans and consider me as a senile old phardt while they use their replaceable blade
knives that I despise.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
that KOA with the blaze orange handle looks pretty cool...maybe I wouldn't lose it

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Tejano
Interesting the similarities to the Nesmuke minus the use as an eating utensil. The Cold steel is a throw down knife IMO. Grohman's are good and I like to support the originator. The Stag handle models keep going up in price it seems.

Bark River & KOA may have better steel but not a huge difference but I am a fan of properly done D2. Stainless vs Carbon is mostly personal preference but I go for carbon unless it is a fishing knife.

Herters I don't know will look them up later.

My personal choice would be a Stag handled original in Carbon steel.

But then I would also be tempted to have Michagan Roadkill make one up in M4 or S35V for the ultimate Canadian Belt Knife.

Stapleton's Great Adventure in Canada always has good prices on stag handled Grohmanns. Prices listed are in Canadian funds. They carry all models in stainless, carbon, sabre grind and flat grind.

www.adventuregear.ca

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Gies340
Gdub,
Is Dukeman still making knives?,

Anybody know?

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Let's see some more of these.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This is the best design I've used for field dressing. I've made and modified a bunch of them, but generally go back to more of the original design. The Grohmann handle is a little to small for me so I actually prefer the R Murphy (Hereters) or the cold steel version as their handles are just a bit larger. My favorite overall is probably the KOA #2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The Grohmann #2 Bird & Trout in stainless steel makes an excellent whitetail knife. I've got lots of custom knives so I use those but I wouldn't feel deprived if that was my only deer knife.

RS

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,845
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.