Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by 79S
recovered both these 180 partitions from a moose few yrs back. I was using a 30-06, BSA know the 06 very well. Shot was less than 200 yrds. These were from the same box/bag. I don't consider the one partition a failure because I had a dead moose on the ground.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Both of those appear tonhave worked exactly as designed.

For many the bullet on the right is not what a partition should looke like it should look like the one on the left. These are the only partitions I ever recovered.

Many people dont have a clue what they are talking about.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Always interesting to hear what a bullet from a quickly dead animal should look like.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Always interesting to hear what a bullet from a quickly dead animal should look like.

I’m no gun writer like you but a lot of people have this vision of partition bullets perfect mushroom.. I’m just showing a picture of a partition that isn’t all pretty.. also used a 200gr hot-cor out of a 325 wsm on a caribou 400yds. Only thing I recovered was pieces of lead never found the jacket. Caribou took 3 steps dead, but majority of you would consider that bullet failure because a perfect mushroomed billet was not recovered. I’m in the camp dead animal equals great bullet performance..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
recovered both these 180 partitions from a moose few yrs back. I was using a 30-06, BSA know the 06 very well. Shot was less than 200 yrds. These were from the same box/bag. I don't consider the one partition a failure because I had a dead moose on the ground.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

For many the bullet on the right is not what a partition should looke like it should look like the one on the left. These are the only partitions I ever recovered.

Well you see it here all the time, especially when it comes to the TSX bullet. A lot of guys cuss the eld-x, I shot a caribou with one and perfect performance it hit bone and bullet was never recovered. Like I said dead animal means great bullet performance.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
They've worked for me in several calibers and weights.

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Not too unlike bullet failure stories from the skinning shed...

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 79S

I’m no gun writer like you but a lot of people have this vision of partition bullets perfect mushroom.. I’m just showing a picture of a partition that isn’t all pretty.. also used a 200gr hot-cor out of a 325 wsm on a caribou 400yds. Only thing I recovered was pieces of lead never found the jacket. Caribou took 3 steps dead, but majority of you would consider that bullet failure because a perfect mushroomed billet was not recovered. I’m in the camp dead animal equals great bullet performance..

The partition bullet is designed to blow the from half of the bullet off, with the back half remaining intact. As Insaid they worked perfectly. I've only recovered one partition and it look just like the one you posted with the lead gone.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have used the TTSX, and LRX exclusively for the last few years. The only reason I use them is because I dont want to deal with lead fragments contaminating my meat supply and being fed to my youngs kids.
With that said I have noticed in many cases you don't get much of a blood trail, of any at all. The entrance and exit wounds are tough to even see with out looking. This kinda makes the exit hole thing moot. The other thing I have noticed is that they simply dont shred internal organs like a Nosler BT or Hornady IL does. Likewise reaction to the shot isnt as pronounced or non existent.
FWIW this applies to 175 LRX and 180 TTSX in the 300 RUM and WSM and the 100 TTSX in the 25-06AI.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I am not making any judgments concerning Barnes, because I've had some good results with them, but have had enough bad experiences to give me pause.
80 yards. Impact velocity roughly 2800 FPS. Only reason I recovered the animal was because I put a second bullet into him. This was from a deer, not an elk so please don't chastise me, but you know how many words a picture is worth...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hopefully I've just had abnormal luck or bad lots of bullets from Barnes, but I've found that sometimes they work awesome, sometimes they don't.

Forum member Brad had the same thing happen with a 30 caliber TTSX out of a 308.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Well you see it here all the time, especially when it comes to the TSX bullet. A lot of guys cuss the eld-x, I shot a caribou with one and perfect performance it hit bone and bullet was never recovered. Like I said dead animal means great bullet performance.

If you had recovered it and it didnt look like a perfect mushroom with 100 percent weight retention many would say it failed...
I dont care what the bullet looks like per se. I want the animal dead pronto.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have used the TTSX, and LRX exclusively for the last few years. The only reason I use them is because I dont want to deal with lead fragments contaminating my meat supply and being fed to my youngs kids.
With that said I have noticed in many cases you don't get much of a blood trail, of any at all. The entrance and exit wounds are tough to even see with out looking. This kinda makes the exit hole thing moot. The other thing I have noticed is that they simply dont shred internal organs like a Nosler BT or Hornady IL does. Likewise reaction to the shot isnt as pronounced or non existent.
FWIW this applies to 175 LRX and 180 TTSX in the 300 RUM and WSM and the 100 TTSX in the 25-06AI.

As we’ve discussed before, I don’t doubt your experience, but I have had the opposite experience observing kills with the TTSX/LRX and NBT/HIL bullets. Funny how two pools of experience with fairly significant numbers can lead to such opposite conclusions.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

Just because a bullet kills something doesn't mean it worked as it was designed to.

Likewise lots of critters get multiple bullets in them. Some may have not been fatal for whatever reason, or would be fatal only after several miles of running.

If a bullet designed for penetration explodes on an elk's shoulder bone, but a small piece of it makes it to the lungs, then the hunter finally finds the elk miles later, would you say the bullet didn't fail? It killed the elk after all.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by T_Inman

DF

Just because a bullet kills something doesn't mean it worked as it was designed to.

Likewise lots of critters get multiple bullets in them. Some may have not been fatal for whatever reason, or would be fatal only after several miles of running.

If a bullet designed for penetration explodes on an elk's shoulder bone, but a small piece of it makes it to the lungs, then the hunter finally finds the elk miles later, would you say the bullet didn't fail? It killed the elk after all.

Good points, all.

I like DRT, or at least a short death run.

So, a critter being dead and found, ending up in the skinning shed, doesn’t guarantee the bullet performed optimally.

Seeing how it worked (or didn’t) can be interesting.

Suboptimal performance may not technically be failure with a hanging dead critter.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 12/14/19.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
True..and that's where the word "subjectivity" comes to mind.

One man's definition of "good" or even "acceptable" varies quite a bit too, which I suspect is why different people come to different conclusions, especially concerning bullet performance on this site, when most all the parameters are the same.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Have taken 5 deer, from about 50 - 293 yards, with the 145LRX, only 2 took about 5 steps. One from this year was pouring out blood from the exit. Could see a stream through the scope.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Taco2fiddy7
Have taken 5 deer, from about 50 - 293 yards, with the 145LRX, only 2 took about 5 steps. One from this year was pouring out blood from the exit. Could see a stream through the scope.

A Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles blood trail.

Found one last night with wide blood trail. Bud shot a doe a bit back, hit liver with 130 NPT out of his .270. Yeah, I know. Didn’t have the heart to give him the scoop on his choice of round. Doe ran 60-70 yds, spewing blood. We found her where she ran out of gas (blood); she’s hanging in the cooler.

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

DF[/quote Just because a bullet kills something doesn't mean it worked as it was designed to. elk after all.

It also means that more than likely the guy that pulled the trigger might not have put the bullet where it needed to go.

Mystifies me that all these bullets of so called failures came out of dead animals.The best one I have always heard was the animal ran off never to be found so it was definitely bullet failure.Same story as above..

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Seeing some of these responses, makes me think about my grandfather’s ‘32 Chevrolet......it got him to town, but not nearly as comfortably as one of today’s modern vehicles is capable of. There are those that refuse to have an objective view of improved technology....and much prefer the “old” ways! wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 12/14/19.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Years ago, I used the original Barnes X bullets and they did real well, from my 7 mag, on three New Mexico Oryx and a few elk. I bought a second rifle, that obviously had a tighter barrel,etc., and had to back the powder off five grains, over the older rifle. I wanted a load that would shoot well in both, and so I went back to Nosler Partitions and Hornady Interlocks and never looked back.

I do a lot of shooting and I do not like the expense of the coppers, for one, and also, I, for the most part, do not shoot real high-velocity cartridges. The only thing that I would use the coppers on, now, would be big dense critters like elk. There is absolutely no need to use them on deer-sized critters.

Another fallacy, is that the lead bullets will harm the children (always goes back to the children, when justifying a reason not to use something). There is zero evidence that any lead shot into an animal has ever had a bad effect on humans.

I have nothing against the coppers, but for my hunting/shooting I will stay with the lead-core bullets.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Mono's like these step a marginal round up to greater task. They definitely makes my 25/06 and bull elk round, without the mono's it is a little to light, imo

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 56 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.