Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm thinking about getting a CA Ridgeline, I was thinking about a Barrett but they are a bit small framed for my big frame body. I have a safe full of Win 70 rifles and this will be the first non-Win 70 purchase in over 20 years. Is there any reason I should forgo the CA and look at alternatives? Any and all opinions welcome and thank you!

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't own one, but I've been considering a Ridgeline and a Mesa. I need to do a bit more research on the Ridgeline's carbon fiber barrel, but another rifle I'm considering is a Fierce Carbon Fury or some other iteration from the same manufacturer.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Seekins Havak I'd make sure you checked out...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I know Proof Research make a great carbon wrap barrel but they are much more expensive then CA. Really pushing the limit of the budget at $2k here, not wanting to go any higher. I did handle a complete Proof Research rifle that was roughly $2600 and I didn't care for it as much as the CA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't own any CA rifles, but have heard that there's some variation in their QA in what gets out the door; I do own a CA pistol & nice as it is, it needed some work which should absolutely have been done at the factory.

If you buy one of their rifles, I'd want to get comfortable on what their user satisfaction & accuracy/warranty policy is; also heard that their CS isn't too hot either............just hearsay though.

As to the rifle, I'd also check out Bergara.................nothing but good there from the input I've had & a fair amount less money.

Can't go wrong with anything from Seekins if you like 'em; or find an older Remington 700 KS..............one of the best ever made.

MM

IC B2

257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My debate is to 1) buy a CA or 2) pull the barrel off of my lovely Win 70 in 250 Savage and just built v buy. The 250 is a Douglas barrel, not factory so not collectible.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I am only familiar with the Barrett which are good but I would definitely consider building in that or slightly higher budget level. You get exactly what you want and pick who does the work.. The Ridgeline you would have difficulty matching the weight and price point by building although you could come close.

Just the barrel and action purchased separately would be over the cost of the Christensen Ridgeline.

I have no experience with Christensen customer service, what little I have had with Barrett was favorable.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
257Bob Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a number of Win 70s, all with Shilen or Douglas barrels and McMillan (one Brown Precision) stocks but they are long action, large scopes and a bit heavy at times. I'm looking for something a bit lighter but not featherweight, I still need to be able to shoot it. New barrel installed by my trusted smith is $800, then I have to get a stock that would be roughly $700 so I'm in for $1500 to use what I have or I can just by a new rig. We'll see....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Match Grade Arms used to take quite a bit of weight off a model 70 action, they use Stillers now. I would just make some of their modifications like on the Kurz Mountain rifle action the cuts on the sides below the stock level and the magazine. This would be for a medium weight as the Model 70 is not the best place to start for a light weight.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Personally, I would look to buy a complete rifle you like after doing your research. The custom build project always seems to take too long and not come out quite right. Sometimes you lose interest in the interim. My two cents.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Personally, I would look to buy a complete rifle you like after doing your research. The custom build project always seems to take too long and not come out quite right. Sometimes you lose interest in the interim. My two cents.

This seems like good advice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GregW
Seekins Havak I'd make sure you checked out...

Wow. Have not known about these...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Have you made a decision yet? If not, EuroOptics has the CA Ridgelines on sale (like below dealer cost). Not many left though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I came into CA Ridge in late November. Of course as a lefty my options were more limited but mine is in 243 (10 twist which is fine for my purposes). Quality is good as is accuracy. Very satisfied at first, second, and third blush.

I would say that calling the Ridgeline a 6.5 Lb rifle A lightweight took a fair bit of imagination. Mines easy gets to the 7-pound way of things.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 12/29/19.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have two ridgelines and will likely add another. Like other poster stated, fit, finish and accuracy is very good. I couldn't be happier.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
CA just came out with a Ti Ridgeline!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sako76 - But not in left hand yet...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
361 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 40 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.