Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wldthg
Years ago I made a Tactical style sling for my deer rifle. My rifle is carried mostly on my side or in front of me with barrel pointing down . I've since bought and use this type of sling. Frees up both arms while walking with a very easy way to just lift rifle up when needed. -- Some old time hunters would not use slings because it took their hands off the rifle. ( Northeastern woods - quick 50 yard shots ). Quickest hands free to ready to fire sling.--- Make one and try it. You will end up buying one. --Web

I used to think that was a good idea as well, right up 'til I stepped in a rabbit hole down to my knee, I adjusted my approach on the way home to clean the rifle after dropping a projectile and half of the powder out of a case and using the remainder to get the six inches of dirt out of the barrel.

Now if I carry over the shoulder I point that muzzle up.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
BP-B6

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
For just a carry sling I use the Boonie Packer. It’s a basic carry sling that just works. What I like is it sticks to the shoulder well in the field, is lightweight, inexpensive, and made in the USA. One great feature is it’s simple to adjust and be tight to the rifle for in the safe storage. The do make a Safari sling but I have yet to actually try one out

www.booniepacker.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I make my own nylon strap slings for my modern synthetic stock rifles , even install qd button bases in the stock. For wood and blue rifles I must have leather sling and like the Montana sling that Scenar shooter (Pat) sells. I have a Detroit Leather shop sling on order to give it a try.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you, those slings from eBay look very comfortable I appreciate you taking the time of posting your pictures. nice rifles by the way.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You’ll possibly regret having a slippery leather sling...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RMerta
Slogan Outdoors sling. The one you see on TV. Lifetime warranty.
I use them and absolutely love them.

Made in USA

+1

Get the magnum if you are a bigger boy. It’s longer.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Well I'm trying not to get leather

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use mostly mountain slings because I remove them and put them in the side pocket of my pants while hunting. For my Mannlicher carbine I use a Montana sling since I'm not going to remove it while hunting.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My Sendero with its big azz scope carries like nothing with my magnum Slogan Outdoors sling. The sling does not slip and makes a heavy rifle light when you sling it up.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Glad I happened upon this topic. Never heard of the "Ultimate Sling", but I'm going to give one a try.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Disregard my above post. Went with another Montana sling for my McMillan-stocked Ruger, black 1" model this time. Bought a brown one for my 1895GS last year and was very much impressed with the quality.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Brad
You’ll possibly regret having a slippery leather sling...

Most of mine are rough enough not to be a problem. I had one latigo leather sling that was slippery, I put rubber gasket compound on the shoulder portion and problem gone. Contact cement will work too but you will have re-apply every couple of years depending the amount of use.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old skool Butler Creek comfortech slings are the shizza. You gotta dig through the “dump boxes” at gun shows and old gun shops to find them.

Last one I think I paid $5 for. They’ll make an 8 pounder feel like a 6.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Has anyone hiked long miles with a Montana sling? Do they slip off easily?

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Ive used one for years and like them a lot. My favorite on the market. I broke mine this year (swivel broke) and the repaired it quickly and at no charge

GOD Bless America
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
727 members (007FJ, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 75 invisible), 2,939 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,770
Posts18,401,519
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.