Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
[quote=Steven60][quote=260Remguy][quote=gnoahh
Remove the barreled action from the stock, put the 0-ring around the barrel, install the barreled action back into the stock, The pressure between the barrel and stock will keep the O-ring in place without any adhesive. You may need to move the O-ring forward or backward on the barrel to find the sweet spot. When you get the O-ring where you want it, you can cut it a at the stock line and nobody but you will know that it is there. I have found that installing the O-ring cuts down on fliers and although I may be in the minority, I don't like fliers.

I like it. Nearly the world's cheapest bughole barrel tuner, huh?

BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steven60
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
[quote=Steven60][quote=260Remguy][quote=gnoahh
Remove the barreled action from the stock, put the 0-ring around the barrel, install the barreled action back into the stock, The pressure between the barrel and stock will keep the O-ring in place without any adhesive. You may need to move the O-ring forward or backward on the barrel to find the sweet spot. When you get the O-ring where you want it, you can cut it a at the stock line and nobody but you will know that it is there. I have found that installing the O-ring cuts down on fliers and although I may be in the minority, I don't like fliers.

I like it. Nearly the world's cheapest bughole barrel tuner, huh?

Well, I'm not claiming that installing a neoprene O-ring on the barrel of a full-length stocked rifle will transform a pattern thrower into an MOA grouper, but it has, IME, reduced the majority of fliers and all that for less than $1.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I wonder how they came to be universally called "Mannlicher" stocks? Hardly anyone refers to them as "Mannlicher-style" stocks or "full length" stocks. To me a Mannlicher stock is one found on a full-stocked Mannlicher-Schoenauer.

"Full stocked" is easier to spell. smile

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Full-stocked probably came to be known as Mannlicher-style in the U.S. because of Stutzen-stocked Mannlicher-Schoemauer carbines. Early in the 20th century the Model 1903 in 6.5x54 M-S was among the most well-known sporting rifles in the world, used by many famous hunters and explorers--many of whom were also noted authors. Probably the best-known American fans were Charles Sheldon, the hunter/naturalist who hunted from Mexico to the Alaska, and Ernest Hemingway. But there were a bunch of others around the globe, including of course "Karamojo" Bell and several other noted African hunters, Arctic explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson, and Roy Chapman Andrews, who some claim was the real-life basis for Indiana Jones.

Quite a few of the carbines were sold in the U.S., often by prestigious firms such as Abercrombie & Fitch in New York, where if I recall correctly is where Hemingway bought his. Otherwise full-stocked smokeless hunting rifles were very scarce here, so Mannlicher became synonymous with full-stocked.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 6.5x54MS must have had some following prior to 1942, as Winchester/Western cataloged it as a regular production factory load.

When I was a kid, we used to drive up either I-89 or I-91 and cross the boarder into Canada to buy CIL Dominion brand ammo in 22HP, 6.5x54MS, 32-40, 38-55, and 11mm Mauser for the owner of one of the local gun shops.

REM/WIN dropped the 32-40 and 38-55 around 1970 and there were still quite a few Winchesters in those calibers in use in northern New England 50 years ago that still needed to be fed and CIL-Dominion was the only common option. For some reason, probably because of cheap Dutch milsurp rifles, you saw more rifles chambered in 6.5x53R then either sporting or Greek milsurp rifles chambered in 6.5x54MS. I don't ever recall seeing a Greek military rifle without a pitted bore. The Greeks must not have bought into the necessity of cleaning the bore of a rifle after firing it with corrosive primed ammo.. Come to think of it, old Swiss milsurp rifles in .41 Swiss rimfire were probably more common than any mannlicher stocked rifles that weren't 1894 Sweds, usually restamped as Interarmsco G33/50, or Ruger 44 Internationals. That said, 1970 was a long time ago and memories that are real to me are older than a lot of the people who might read these words.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
709 members (1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 3,148 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.