Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've never owned a Kimber product of any type but am now considering a 22 bolt action. There are a few iterations of the Kimber 22 rifle out there...Kimber of Oregon, Kimber of America, Clackamas, etc...

What do I need to be looking for? Which ones were considered better than others, etc....I'm going into this blind.

Thanks in advance!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I can speak to a sample of one. It is a Clackamas (sp?) and it is a very good shooter. I was able to purchase an extra 2 or 3 mags for it awhile back. They are incredibly high if you can even find them. Fit and finish is very good as is the trigger. Mine is a sporter

Last edited by Crappie_Killer; 12/11/19.

CK
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had early 82's in .22lr and .22wmr. Have 2 now, a classic and a Super America. None have been Anschutz accurate, or even Cooper 57 accurate, but they've all been reasonably good shooters and fit and finish was excellent. Had one 82C that was the ssv, stainless, heavier barrel. The checkering was cut crooked as hell, fit and finish sucked and it wasn't near as accurate as the early guns. Had 2 govt. model single shot target guns that shot excellent.
I've had Kimber k-22's in hunter, HS and SVT. All three shot excellent and fit and finish was excellent.
My HS shot patterns, when new, but after sending it back it was returned with a note that said re-barreled due to poor accuracy. It shot damn good with the new barrel. It's one I truly regret selling.

If I was in the market, Id buy an early 82 or a more recent k22. The later Oregon years sucked ass IMHO.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I sight my Kimber 22 Classic at 50 yards and out to 65 yards not many squirrels are missed. I always hunt with shooting sticks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only one, A Government 82. Very accurate rifle. I would as well pick an early 82, that suits your needs.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
I have a Kimber 82 Super America In 22 Hornet with all the bells and whistles I bought in about ‘85 for around $850. There are a couple of blemishes in the checkering but it’s got beautiful wood. It took me a little while to develop a good load but it’s very accurate with Olin 680 (Discontinued) and the standard old 45 gr. Speer spitzer. I have a couple of pounds of 680 so at 11.7 grains/round it should last a while. IMR 4227 works pretty well too. I’ve had some good results with the Sierra 40 gr B/King and the 40 gr Nosler Varmageddon (tipped).

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve had 2 Kimber of Oregon .22s, can’t remember which grade. Both of them had great lines and shot very well but each had issues such as the mag not wanting to release or something odd with the bolt (I can’t remember the details), and the .223 Super America owner had issues as well.
A couple of years ago I bought a Classic made in Yonkers with the 3 position safety and claw extractor (from the Classifieds here) . The Oregon Guns may have been a bit more trim and elegant (maybe) but this one is super accurate and has worked perfectly.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Weak spot is the bolt cam screw. It is soft and wears alarmingly. They are available, but dang they do wear fast. I have an extra 6 for the 82G.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
If I was looking for a classy blued/walnut rimfire in the $1000 range I'd find a Sako P94. Up the budget a little and I'd go Anschutz 1710/54 Sporter or Cooper 57.

If you just want a nice full size accurate rimfire, Tikka T1X for $375 for the win. The Tikka is worth twice the buy in.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
C
Where can you get the T1X for $375? A quick look at my regular sites finds a long list of suppliers, but all at nearly $100 more than that.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by czech1022
Where can you get the T1X for $375? A quick look at my regular sites finds a long list of suppliers, but all at nearly $100 more than that.

Fat fingered it, $475.00

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’ve owned five or six through the years. They were all Kimber of Oregon guns. Two 82 classics, a Super America, and two possibly three 82 Gvt Target models. I have a Gvt. Target Model presently and am actually going out to test it tomorrow. Haven’t even shot it yet.

All the Kimber of Oregon guns I’ve had have been delightful. I’ve heard the horror stories and how QC with the later original guns was spotty, but in my experience they were all very accurate, beautiful and reliable guns. Maybe I was just lucky, but I can only report what I experienced... don’t have any experience with the new ones made in NY.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned 2, one Oregon and one NY. Both great rifles. Still have the NY Classic, very accurate, well made rifle. From silhouettes to squirrel hunting it's always done well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Godogs57: I own a "bunch" of the original Kimbers of Oregon in higher grades both rimfire and centerfire (centerfires including 22 Hornet and 221 Remington Fireball) - they are works of art and are of such value now that I have never considered shooting them, since about when I bought them new.
I also have several Kimber of New York rimfire Rifles including an extremely accurate Model 82-G (Government), a Kimber SVT (Stainless Varmint Target) and a Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette).
With my somewhat significant and long term use of my Kimber rimfire Rifles and those of my friends I would suggest you look for one of the latter produced Kimber Model 22's in either the "Hunter" model or my favorite, the "Hunter/Silhouette"!
Accuracy from my Kimber Model 22 Hunter/Silhouette is just plain excellent (with Hunting ammunition no less!)! The trigger is excellent and the Monte Carlo style stock fits me to a "T" both afield and at the range!
Over the years I have accumulated at least 10 extra "magazines" for my Kimber 22 rimfire Rifles (for those that are repeaters).
Also this - the last time I talked, in person, to a Kimber factory representative he relayed to me (in response to my question!) that "someday" they want to restart production of the Kimber 22 Rifles but a lack of skilled workers had them (the company) shift workers to producing Kimber pistols and Kimber centerfire Rifles!
The company has retained all tools and tooling for producing Kimber 22 Rifles but as of then there was NO date for such resumption.
That, is sad.
Best of luck to you in your quest for a Kimber 22 Rifle.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimber Hunter-Silhouette I own is a tack driver at 50-100yards. Aside from the cool reverse fluted barrel, the wood stock on mine isn’t a sexy piece of lumber. It does shoot, however...Akin to ugly girls will throw a good F. 😉😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wish my Kimber Hunter was accurate. Very good fit and feel and real nice wood. Doesn't hold a candle in accuracy department compared to my Tikka or CZ 452. I wish it did. Done everything possible to it. Pillar bedded, etc........Shot 11 or so different brands and makes of 22 lr ammo from CCI SV to Lapua, etc.............Just doesn't shoot well. Needs a new home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
IMO and being from Oregon. The KoO SuperAmerica is the sexiest of 22 LR. I’ve yet to find one in a condition I would buy that isn’t $2600 or more...Makes it an easy pass at this price point for my thin wallet.

The Kimber of Yonkers SuperAmerica in excellent condition, dudes seem to try and capture the same price. That’s an easier pass. Yonkers builds aren’t KoO builds.

Mountain Boomer is as close to an expert on the KoO as anyone. I differ to him on Kimber’s I see for sale for his thoughts on the asking price.

YMMV

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If someone is looking, I have a Kimber 82 Government rifle that I would sell. All original with scope and peeps handstop,and extras. Found a grail gun, a BSA MKIII International so this one is now redundant.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Kimber HS .22 shot me right into master class smallbore NRA silhouette.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had several Kimber of Oregon 22s they were accurate enough but none were as accurate as the New York Kimber Hunter Silhouette I owned.That sucker had the sweetest trigger of any rifle I ever owned.That is the one rifle I regret selling.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,834 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,163
Posts18,465,177
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.